Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,687 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just a friendly 30 year old zombie from NYC (NY made me dead inside ) looking to rent an aparment in NJ and commute to work in NYC. Please help my souless corpse look for an area within NJ with these criterias:

Rent Budget: $1,600 (utilities included)
Or
Rent Budget: $1,400 (utilities not included)

*includes parking or easy to find public parking
*commutable to 14st union square under 1 hour
*walkable to train/bus (preferably train)
*low crime

Questions:
*how much is the monthly pass for NJ bus, rail or PATH?
*can MTA metrocards work on it?
*can employee MTA pass work on NJ bus, rail or PATH?
*What do you think about Wallington NJ? Is it safe? Is it safe from floods being close to water?
*Do I need renters insurance if its a flood zone?
*hows the crowd at 42nd st manhattan for the NJ busses at 540pm and 620pm weekday?

Thank you!

Hhhhnnnnggghhhh,

-NYCZombie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 07:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Ha ha no.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:26 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
I only wish what you want was available. I can’t offer any suggestions.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:41 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCzombie View Post
Hello,

Just a friendly 30 year old zombie from NYC (NY made me dead inside ) looking to rent an aparment in NJ and commute to work in NYC. Please help my souless corpse look for an area within NJ with these criterias:

Rent Budget: $1,600 (utilities included)
Or
Rent Budget: $1,400 (utilities not included)

*includes parking or easy to find public parking
*commutable to 14st union square under 1 hour
*walkable to train/bus (preferably train)
*low crime

Questions:
*can MTA metrocards work on it?
*can employee MTA pass work on NJ bus, rail or PATH?
*What do you think about Wallington NJ? Is it safe? Is it safe from floods being close to water?
*Do I need renters insurance if its a flood zone?
*hows the crowd at 42nd st manhattan for the NJ busses at 540pm and 620pm weekday?

Thank you!

Hhhhnnnnggghhhh,

-NYCZombie
Some answers, though.

C'mon. Do you REALLY think there is one set fare for EVERYWHERE in NJ?

PATH fares, yeah. They're all the same, but of course the service is limited to Hoboken, Jersey City, Harrison, and Newark. https://www.panynj.gov/path/fares.html

The rest you have to look up yourself according to location.

www.NJTransit.com

Metrocards work on PATH. Not on NJ Transit.

I was paying $1400 a month for a two-bedroom with a leaky kitchen roof ten years ago in Long Branch, NJ--a two-hour commute from the Flatiron district, just north of Union Square. Just FYI.

Wallington is a decent town. Don't know about flooding.

Regardless of being in a flood zone or not, it is likely that a landlord will require you to have renter's insurance.

Re your last question. I could look it up, but for some reason the number 65,000 is in my head as the number of commuters passing through the Bus Terminal during rush hours. The PABT is past its capacity and is in the beginning stages of a replacement project. How do YOU think the crowds are going to be at that time?

You can find a place in NJ, but you are first going to have to mentally move out of Zombieland and into Reality World.

Also, is there any reason you are not considering a train commute? If you're a single person and not worried about schools, look at Garfield, the cheapest place to live in Bergen County. You could find something in your price range (and by the way, rarely are utilities included except in some garden apartment complexes where HEAT might be included--but electric and cooking gas would not be).

There are two train stations in Garfield--the Garfield station and the Plauderville station, both of which are on the Bergen County line, which goes into Hoboken, where you catch PATH to 14th Street. The PATH comes up by Sixth Avenue, which is a short walk to Union Square. You'd get a Garfield monthly NJ Transit ticket and a PATH SmartCard (you can use the Metrocard but SmartLink gives a discount and so why would you.)

Old 06-30-2019, 04:13 AM

650 posts, read 775,391 times
$1400 can get you a nice apt in union city. Easy to nyc. Avoid horrible nj trains at all cost.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:11 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Check out lyndhurst. It may work for you

Old 06-30-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
$1400 can get you a nice apt in union city. Easy to nyc. Avoid horrible nj trains at all cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Check out lyndhurst. It may work for you
Both good suggestions, except the "horrible nj trains" is a bit of hyperbole.

For the most part, the trains run regularly and on time. The biggest problems come if there is an issue with the tunnels going into Penn, but if you're going to Hoboken (which you would from Lyndhurst), that doesn't affect you.

Still, Union City might work.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:02 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
For the most part, the trains run regularly and on time.
Nope, the M&E and Montclair lines have been a disaster since the first Summer of Hell. This is the third (consecutive). Current situation is no Midtown Direct services stop at Newark Broad during peak hours, no Midtown Direct service on the Montclair line during peak hours. Morristown line trains making extra stops (Highland, Mountain, East Orange) east of Summit. Trains often canceled or combined, or short cars. This wouldn't affect Main/Bergen line trains of course.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Nope, the M&E and Montclair lines have been a disaster since the first Summer of Hell. This is the third (consecutive). Current situation is no Midtown Direct services stop at Newark Broad during peak hours, no Midtown Direct service on the Montclair line during peak hours. Morristown line trains making extra stops (Highland, Mountain, East Orange) east of Summit. Trains often canceled or combined, or short cars. This wouldn't affect Main/Bergen line trains of course.
That's not negligence or poor management, though, which was implied by the "horrible" remark.

What you are talking about is temporary disruption due to anticipated and planned construction work.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:43 AM

538 posts, read 733,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's not negligence or poor management, though, which was implied by the "horrible" remark.

What you are talking about is temporary disruption due to anticipated and planned construction work.
As an M&E rider from South Orange I can tell you this is what it should be, but it definitely isn't the case. The actual 'Summer Of Hell' turned out to not be that bad. The commute was a little longer, but things for the most part ran as expected.

From my perspective where things really... um went off the rails (pun totally intended!) started during the service cuts in November. This was supposed to be temporary until the PTC installation was complete, but from the rider perspective it's hard to say that the random train cancellations ever really ended. It wasn't like the Summer Of Hell where once it was over we just went back to our lives (more or less, although even then I'm not sure we ever got back to pre-Summer of Hell service quality - which even then wasn't spectacular).

There's clearly something majorly wrong with the system that goes beyond the whole tunnel issue. Sure they have these 'events' but things don't seem to go back to normal after the events. You'd expect things to actually be better after their events, but it's just not the case. We just get conditioned to accept the deteriorating reliability.

Prior to the 'Winter of our Discontent' my wife rarely had to make accommodations to have someone pick up our kid from aftercare because of train issues. Now she probably has to do it on average once a week. Likewise, if I'm over 15 minutes late in the mornings, I usually take a cab to my office (it's a long walk from Penn). That used to happen maybe once or twice a month, now it's once or twice a week. Something definitely isn't right, and there's no sign of any improvement.

I think the root is probably the engineer shortage, because things tend to get worse around times where you can imagine people might take a day off. They're stretched for normal daily operations, so if someone has a vacation day, then your train is on vacation too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey