U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 06:35 PM

4,431 posts, read 9,618,793 times

Advertisements

I'd like to take my kids down to Asbury Park for the day next week. I would be going on a weekday when it is hopefully less crowded than a weekend. Where is the best place to park that is in close proximity to the beach? I'm traveling with 2 young kids so long walks to/from the car are not an option. Also, for the same reason, we will need access to a bathroom and a very casual place to eat. Please advise if this will be possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 06:46 PM

1,646 posts, read 1,036,913 times
The last time I went was 2 summers ago and I honestly can’t remember where I parked but it was also a weekday and I don’t remember it being a problem. I ate at The Bonney Read and it was good. Lots of casual dining places and shops in close proximity to each other. Nice little town.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:18 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,059,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I'd like to take my kids down to Asbury Park for the day next week. I would be going on a weekday when it is hopefully less crowded than a weekend. Where is the best place to park that is in close proximity to the beach? I'm traveling with 2 young kids so long walks to/from the car are not an option. Also, for the same reason, we will need access to a bathroom and a very casual place to eat. Please advise if this will be possible.
Tons of metered parking along the boardwalk. During the weekend nights, spots can be sort of hard to come by, but are generally available, so during the weekday, I can't imagine it would be a problem.

All kinds of options for food.

Bathrooms in convention hall and other spots I think too as well.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:07 AM

14,195 posts, read 9,495,369 times
Plenty of meter parking opposite of the broadwalk streets. Why not take them to Jenkinson Beach which is further down from Asbury Park. More stuff to do for the kids than Asbury, my kids already bored of Asbury.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:48 AM

15,824 posts, read 5,756,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Plenty of meter parking opposite of the broadwalk streets. Why not take them to Jenkinson Beach which is further down from Asbury Park. More stuff to do for the kids than Asbury, my kids already bored of Asbury.
I actually agree with this ,it's in Point Pleasant Beach.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:49 AM

522 posts, read 445,359 times
I haven't driven out there on weekdays enough to really know how the parking fills up on a weekday, but for the weekends I just plan to arrive at 9 when the meters start and I always get a good spot. Since you're taking kids they're probably not going to be letting you sleep in, so might as well get the early start.

I have stayed out there and it's definitely not 'alseep' on weekdays, so I wouldn't expect to stroll in at 11:30 and get a spot right in front of the beach.

As far as bathrooms, there's some in the convention hall as well as some changing stations with bathrooms off the boardwalk in buildings that look like shipping containers.

As far as food, probably the most 'kid friendly' option (other than ice cream, of course) is the Silverball Cafe in front of the pinball museum. It's definitely not the best food in AP, but it'll keep the kids happy. You'll see plenty of other eating establishments on the Boardwalk. The better food in town tends to be on Cookman Ave, but it's less kid friendly and it's a bit of a walk.

I'd be remiss to not mention Frank's Deli on Main Street. This is my favorite place to get a sandwich in NJ. The way they make a sub is essentially my reference for a perfect sub and they have better ingredients than most places. (That said, it's not fancy, just quality) Now, it's not convenient to the beach and not super kid friendly (although they do have pancakes) so you're probably not likely to end up there, but it's good to know if for some reason it works out.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:23 AM

25,026 posts, read 31,215,475 times
have you been to asbury park? it wouldnt be my choice for taking the kids for a beach day.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 AM

4,431 posts, read 9,618,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
have you been to asbury park? it wouldnt be my choice for taking the kids for a beach day.
I have not. But it was actually recommended to me by several people who have kids. I live in Essex County and I'm not interested in driving more than an hour, so really anything south of exit 100 on the Parkway is out. We're only planning to be there for a few hours. My kids actually enjoy playing in the sand and going in the water. We're not interested in cheesy boardwalk games or amusement rides that I know many people like to bring their kids to.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:13 AM

2,892 posts, read 971,856 times
Quote:
I have not. But it was actually recommended to me by several people who have kids. I live in Essex County and I'm not interested in driving more than an hour, so really anything south of exit 100 on the Parkway is out. We're only planning to be there for a few hours. My kids actually enjoy playing in the sand and going in the water. We're not interested in cheesy boardwalk games or amusement rides that I know many people like to bring their kids to.
7 President's might be an option if they don't really care about the boardwalk or amusement rides. If they get tired of the water there is a playground right there they can go to. Amy's Restaurant across the street is perfect for kids and grownups.

It's about 20 minutes north of Asbury Park.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:19 AM

25,026 posts, read 31,215,475 times
Quote:
yeah, i think you can do better above 100. i am with you, i hate going to jenkinsons. im not a fan of the crowd there. i went to my daughter's dance recital at some theater by the water in asbury. the beach crowd wasnt really fancy enough for me.

i wish i had a recommendation but i go to a beach club in sea bright and they dont make it easy for the general public to get to the beach there. i know that a friend would go to 7 presidents but i havent been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey