U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 1,497 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are beginning to think about buying in NJ. We are a same-sex couple with a teen son and 1 year old daughter; we plan to add one more baby in the next year or two. I work in Hoboken which complicates the home search process, as we do not have “NYC salaries” but I will need to commute towards the city. My wife is searching for a new job now for a pretty in demand field so is planning to look close to where we would (potentially) buy.
I have an extremely flexible work schedule and would have the potential of wfh 1-2 days per week, and can commute during less busy time periods. Ideally my work schedule would be from about 7am-3pm, so avoiding the crazy busy rush hour.
The info from the sticky is below.

Where are you coming from? Weehawken, NJ
Why are you moving? Looking to purchase a home
Where will you be working ? Hoboken

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? Up to $450,000 but ideally < $400,000
What kind of place are you looking for ? Minimum 3 bed/2 bath. Single family home or possibly townhouse. Fixer upper is ok as several family members are contractors and can do work at cost.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Teen son (will be heading to college shortly after move) and a toddler
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes, above average preferred. I know our budget isn’t going to get us into the “best.”

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc): most important factors are - safe and accepting (two mom family). Close-knit, community events/pride in community if that makes sense.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) So my wife wants as rural as we can find. The most important factor for me is commute (I would probably drive, but public transportation is a possibility)- I’m thinking absolute max 1 hour in car. I know these two factors are conflicting/limiting.

I love the vibe of Maplewood, but with our budget, that means the “bad” parts of town. Also, we don’t really need access to a train, so we may be paying an inflated home price to get into a train town.. I don’t know if this is a wise choice. Any any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 02:00 PM

2,347 posts, read 990,474 times
Nyack ny, if you a driving off hours.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:57 PM

4,864 posts, read 10,254,702 times
West Orange would be a great fit for you. The demographics and schools are very similar to Maplewood. There is no train station so homes tend to be cheaper. Since you'll be driving to work, I-280 runs right through town so you'll have easy access for commuting.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:06 AM

64,752 posts, read 61,044,230 times
You're not going to get anything close to "rural" in a one-hour max drive, and you probably already know that. But since you are willing to look at townhouses, there are some very nice ones in Mahwah, which, up until a decade or two ago, was still quite rural and retains some of that atmosphere in the form of large parks and Ramapo Reservation. Plus, it's on the border with easy access to upstate New York.

I know you said you didn't especially want a train, but I suspect that after a few months of learning firsthand about rush hour traffic heading east in the morning and west at night in NJ beyond your current short little hop from Weehawken to Hoboken, you might appreciate the option. Mahwah's train station is on the Bergen County line, which goes directly into Hoboken.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...row-home-co-op

Old 08-05-2019, 09:15 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,748,545 times
Getting close to the downtown in Maplewood is fairly expensive, we ended up in Cranford, which is more affordable but doesn't have a bookstore. Westfield is also nice, but pricier, but none of these towns are rural by a long shot. But if you don't mind a fixer upper then there's likely something in your range, it's just not going to be rural. At the same time, is rural going to have the good schools you're looking for?

Old 08-05-2019, 10:22 AM

For rural try Oakland. Google maps says 45 minutes to hoboken

Old 08-05-2019, 10:47 AM

Other more "rural" options would include towns in western Morris county, such as Randolph or Netcong. They are more suburban than rural, but certainly would have more of a rural feel than Maplewood or anywhere in Essex County. The drawback to Morris County is that traffic along I-80 is hell during rush hour. Netcong has a train station if you want that option.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Bergen county is extremely lgbtq friendly with most towns raising a flag and having an event. I suggested nyack because pride month was heavily celebrated and promoted and there was a flag in just about every storefront. Can’t speak for western Morris cty. But ansky seems to know that area.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Bergen county is extremely lgbtq friendly with most towns raising a flag and having an event. I suggested nyack because pride month was heavily celebrated and promoted and there was a flag in just about every storefront. Can’t speak for western Morris cty. But ansky seems to know that area.
Most of north Jersey is pretty liberal and accepting. I can't say that everyone is out there waving a flag, but I don't expect the OP would have any issues.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:35 PM

64,752 posts, read 61,044,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
For rural try Oakland. Google maps says 45 minutes to hoboken
Hardly rural. It's a cute suburban town, but closer to the edge of some more rural areas. Be careful, because houses in your price range there might be in the Ramapo River's flood areas.

LOL at Google maps saying 45 minutes to Hoboken. Maybe nights and weekends. It will take 45 minutes just to get down Route 208 during rush hour, and THEN you can pick up a major highway toward the city (Route 4 or 80 or the Parkway).

The OP said she can get to work at 7, though, so leaving at 6, it might be only an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or