Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,564 times

Advertisements

Monmouth county is still way over priced. Sellers are still offering their houses at 2005 prices. They have a sentimental attachment to them. I look at a house as a place to live, thats it. Even the house I grew up in. A house is only worth what the market calls for. The market will not come back any time soon due to rising unemployment. We need to get to about 10% before unemployment levels off. I see more down side in the housing in Monmouth County, but the sellers just say I will wait for the turn, my house is special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 08:38 AM

4,178 posts, read 5,056,132 times
this is an interesting thread you dug up...

interesting to see who was commenting that is still a regular poster on here, who was commenting that no longer posts, and who posts currently that wasn't around back then.

some predictions were fairly accurate, others wildly wrong. pretty much everyone who posted had their predictions tainted (to varying degrees) by their current situation.

moral of the story: no one knows what's going to happen, take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt.

instead of trying to "time the market", decide if you really want a house, assess your financials, and go from there.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:23 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
instead of trying to "time the market", decide if you really want a house, assess your financials, and go from there.
"Timing the market" for housing right now is a bit like "timing the market" for watermelons. Sure, we don't know with certainty what the price will be, but, as I've explained previously on several occasions, the price movements are hardly a random walk in the same way as they are with stocks.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:08 AM

http://tinyurl.com/covtw5 (broken link)

Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,875 times
Quote:
The price is right for housing - MarketWatch (http://tinyurl.com/covtw5 - broken link)
That article is not talking market specific so as I may agree with it to some degree for areas like Vegas or PHX or FL, I don't think it fully applies to areas like NJ which have been late to the price correction game.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 AM

612 posts, read 1,010,702 times
Quote:
this is an interesting thread you dug up...

interesting to see who was commenting that is still a regular poster on here, who was commenting that no longer posts, and who posts currently that wasn't around back then.

some predictions were fairly accurate, others wildly wrong. pretty much everyone who posted had their predictions tainted (to varying degrees) by their current situation.

moral of the story: no one knows what's going to happen, take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt.

Rofl, did you just say that some people were accurate but the moral of the story is that no one knows what's going to happen? Apparently someone knew.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:14 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
We all hear the so called experts and of course our friendly overly positive thinking Realtors talk of better times in one year, 2 years maybe less. Dont believe that hogwash. We are looking at 7-10 years before better times come. And there is no guarentee it will.

Take these millions of people who have walked away from mortgages. They all have foreclosures, short sales and many late payments on their credit now. These people are now removed from the home buyers pool for 7-10 years. That is a lot of home buyers out of the buyers market for a long time. Some will be lucky to find a decent rental with thier bad credit. Unless lenders and landlords loosen up on thier old standards there is going to be a lot of homeless people on the streets.

Traditionally homes go up and down. When they go up too high for the average first time buyer then they level off and come down and when salaries catch up then the homes move back up just the same. This will no longer work that way. Salaries no longer go up unless you work for the govt or a union. Raises are something we will be reading about in history books soon enough. Today the very best companies toss thier best employees a quarter an hour per year. That is not going to help anyone buy a home let alone get ahead or keep gas in the tank.

It is almost impossible to get any type of mortgage today if your credit has the slightest blemish. So even if one of us gets lucky and finds a sucker to buy our home, we can not turn around and buy another one for ourselves.

Now with the prices on everything we do related to gas prices, the pool of able home buyers are shrinking because we have no money left after buying food and gas. More home buyers out of the market.

I see a total and complete economic crash coming. Something like has never happened in this universe. Mark my words. Those of you with a nice comfy job making slightly over scab wages dont yet see it because we as humans are blind to problems that dont affect us. It's only a matter of time when you too are a victim. Maybe a medical problem, maybe your company will close without notice, any number of unforseen catastrophes can strike you at any time.

Time will tell.....perhaps not much time. But there will be a total economic crash. Mark my words.
ok this one deserves a quote, it was posted in june 2008. So desertsun41, is the last 9 month the crash you predicted.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
Rofl, did you just say that some people were accurate but the moral of the story is that no one knows what's going to happen? Apparently someone knew.
for the '09 prediction (made in '08), some were accurate

for the '10 predictions (being made now) no one knows...

Old 04-14-2009, 01:44 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,875 times
Quote:
for the '09 prediction (made in '08), some were accurate

for the '10 predictions (being made now) no one knows...
No one knows is the best argument against the obvious decline of home prices in the area. Good luck with that.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:54 PM

for the second month in a row, Zillow says my home increased in value:

+0.6%
+1.4%

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey