Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 10:25 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but something is def wrong here if they State (since Asbury is an abbott district) is spending $42,000 a child per year with a very low graduation rate. Obviously throwing more money isn't the answer. These kids could be going to a private school for a lot less money and getting their education.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Asbury Park Schools continue to spend more money per student than any other district in Monmouth or Ocean counties, according to new state data released this week that also indicates that amount has jumped by more than $5,000 per pupil in the past year.

The 2019 State Department of Education’s Taxpayer’s Guide to Education Spending, released Wednesday, revealed that Asbury Park spent $42,382 per student during the 2017-2018 school year, up from $36,957 per student during the 2016-2017 school year. During that period, the district saw a sharp decline in enrollment, from 2,250 to 1,917.

That decline has also launched a severe cutback in state aid for the district, which has a high rate of poverty, and is seeking to reduce costs with a proposed grade realignment that will mean closing one elementary school and expanding grades in the high school.

https://www.app.com/story/news/educa...in/1954710001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 11:31 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
It's a waste of money, next thing they would do is send these kids to Rutgers with free tuition on the taxpayers dime and see how that works out. This is why NY and NJ taxes keep going up, the good towns get very little Trenton support but the poor towns get too much with very little return on investment. Most of the bad areas have low graduation rates, they don't really care about school.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:34 PM

10,479 posts, read 6,991,011 times
$42k a year, investing all that money into a stock account would be better instead of sending them to school at least they would have more than a million dollars after finishing k-12.

Its called throwing money at a problem (our money), the first step in resolving the problem is voting out this knucklehead Murphy. Next investing in the culture of the community, the real reason (people are afraid to say) is its a culture issue. No Dad at home, parents dont care to push kids to do well in school. The culture of casual sex with baby mamas isnt working. Families need to be made with God in them.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:14 AM

356 posts, read 284,750 times
most families in asbury don't even make $42k a year. democrats think they can just throw money at a problem and make it go away. this has nothing to do with money and everything to do with a families in distress. agreed, danny hobkins. this is indeed a cultural problem. no government can force people to practice personal responsibility and family management.

there was a secretary at my office (unmarried and not in a relationship) who was actively trying to get pregnant. her mother was constantly on her because she was 20 years old and didn't have any kids yet! she remedied the situation in just a few months however, and had her first. the office threw her a baby shower and bought her a $700 stroller.
well anyway, kudos to her. she at least made it to 20.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:33 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Let’s be real here, even if they had a high graduation rate and high test scores, you would complain just as loudly.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:05 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Let’s be real here, even if they had a high graduation rate and high test scores, you would complain just as loudly.
Let's get real here, look at the numbers!

something stinks in NJ and it has to do with the EDU juggernaut, big businesses disguised as universities and all protected by the democrat party. Dare not address the source of the rising costs, just how to get more taxpayer cash to buy the EDU vote.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:17 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
So you feel it's taxpayer money well managed?

How so?

Old 08-12-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
So you feel it's taxpayer money well managed?

How so?

Where did I indicate that was my sentiment?

Old 08-14-2019, 12:06 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Where did I indicate that was my sentiment?
You didn't directly but rather than agree that NJ's school funding methods appear to be something straight out of some corrupt third world country or banana republic you didn't even blink an eye, so to speak.

Your contribution to the thread was to criticize the OP.

I mean, >40K ayear for any public school system is ludicrous. Except to many, many NJ'ians.

I never understood why the majority of voters put up with it.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Let's get real here, look at the numbers!

something stinks in NJ and it has to do with the EDU juggernaut, big businesses disguised as universities and all protected by the democrat party. Dare not address the source of the rising costs, just how to get more taxpayer cash to buy the EDU vote.

Ok, let's look at the numbers. According to the data in the original post, Asbury Park is actually spending about $2 million less than they were a year ago thanks to declining enrollment.

2016-2017: 2250 students X $36,957 per student = $83.15 million
2017-2018: 1917 students X $42,382 per student = $81.25 million

Yes, more per student but less overall burden on taxpayers. So what are you really complaining about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
You didn't directly but rather than agree that NJ's school funding methods appear to be something straight out of some corrupt third world country or banana republic you didn't even blink an eye, so to speak.

Your contribution to the thread was to criticize the OP.

I mean, >40K ayear for any public school system is ludicrous. Except to many, many NJ'ians.

I never understood why the majority of voters put up with it.

Well, for context, I live in Abbot district so you'll never hear me argue in favor of less money for our schools. That doesn't mean I agree with how it's being managed. That is a large amount being spent per student and I think there needs to be more transparency and accountability with how the funds are being spent. When people speak negatively about Abbot districts you always get the sense they don't really care if the schools are under-performing, they just care that they have to fund them. So in short, my criticism isn't that these schools are funded with my tax dollars it's more so how it's being spent. That's not the same sentiment being displayed in this thread. This was just another attempt to politicize an issue, like most threads on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey