U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 04:55 AM

35 posts, read 13,698 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been searching different posts on City-Data forum, but still need some help from you.

My husband got an offer of relocating to US. His office is located in the WTC area, NYC. I am trying to find the best location for us.
At the beginning I was thinking about Westchester, NY and places like Larchmont or Mamaroneck because I love being close to the water, but from what I have red on this forum I understand it will easier for him (shorter commute) from some NJ small towns. Is that correct ?

I did some research and I have list of potential places:
- South Orange
-Maplewood (although I am not sure about safety here - crime statistic on Niche shows high crime rates including murders ) Is it a safe place to live ?
- Summit
- Montclair
- Chatham

Could you give some comments or advice which of those will be best for us?
Here are our critria:
- Good school district - we will be moving with 13yo daughter, she also likes dancing and art. Btw can anyone advise if she will be 13 when we move which grade she will be attending ?
- Short commute to work (no longer than 1h15 door to door)
- I don't drive, so I need to be able to walk to downtown and other places or use some public transport (also I have some mobility issues, and I think 0,8 -1 mile walk is the maximum distance for me) So here is also a question - can I survive without driving in those small towns?
- we want to rent 2bd (idealy) 3 bd in a nice apartment community with a budget below 3000 USD (if possible), close to the train station
- I have small business , but I am also an emerging artist ,so art community and potential art development is important to me (so for that reason Summit with Visual art center or Montclair with art Museum look good)
- I guess it will be nice to have some European community around us
- I like places which has a lot of green places, parks, lakes, rivers, generally nice nature
- My husband likes music, plays piano, guitar, likes jazz, biking

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 07:01 AM

898 posts, read 611,331 times
Look in edgewater. Your husband could take the downtown ferry to work for a short and nice commute. You can live in walking distance to some stores but would probably spend many of your days in nyc because of the fast commute. Zoned for Leonia where middle and high schools are good. I’m not sure you will be happy with Montclair or Maplewood schools but if you are the those are good options with Montclair being better. Ridgewood is another option with a larger town. Chatham you will need a car. Not sure about summit.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Look in edgewater. Your husband could take the downtown ferry to work for a short and nice commute. You can live in walking distance to some stores but would probably spend many of your days in nyc because of the fast commute. Zoned for Leonia where middle and high schools are good. I’m not sure you will be happy with Montclair or Maplewood schools but if you are the those are good options with Montclair being better. Ridgewood is another option with a larger town. Chatham you will need a car. Not sure about summit.
Thanks a lot for suggestions

Old 08-12-2019, 09:48 AM

8,793 posts, read 12,743,064 times
From the locations you suggested (Westchester, NY and places like Larchmont or Mamaroneck) I hope your husband doesn't mind spending a good part of his day commuting on the trains.

Just do some research on how many times there are problems/delays with Metro North trains.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:20 AM

3,789 posts, read 3,270,003 times
Of your suggested places, Montclair would come closest to being an artists' haven but it is not "artsy." I really can't think of any place in NJ that is known for being an art town.

Have you asked in City-Data's Long Island forum? Garden City and Huntington might fit your wish list.

Important: do you want to buy or rent and what is your housing budget?

Old 08-12-2019, 10:47 AM

5,485 posts, read 13,476,418 times
I would not ever suggest Long Island, but that's me.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Of your suggested places, Montclair would come closest to being an artists' haven but it is not "artsy." I really can't think of any place in NJ that is known for being an art town.

Have you asked in City-Data's Long Island forum? Garden City and Huntington might fit your wish list.

Important: do you want to buy or rent and what is your housing budget?
We want to rent - we don't know yet how long we will be staying in US.

Thanks for suggestions - I will check Garden City and Huntington. I have not thought about LI
Art city is not the main priority - schools, commute to WTC area and "walking" friendly place are most important to us.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I would not ever suggest Long Island, but that's me.
Why ?

Old 08-12-2019, 12:38 PM

898 posts, read 611,331 times
Bronxville is in Westchester but has a good commute and much of your other wishes.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Bronxville is in Westchester but has a good commute and much of your other wishes.
Thanks , will check that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or