U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 397 times

Advertisements

Hi all, We are considering a move to Little Silver. Homes of interest are approx. 5 min walk to train. My husband works near Bryant park. Does anyone on this forum take the train to midtown from Little Silver 5 days a week? Currently, his commute is just over an hour. Given NJTransit performance, I would like to get insight from those who have done this or are doing it currently.

Thanks for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 AM

58,900 posts, read 56,660,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zd1507 View Post
Hi all, We are considering a move to Little Silver. Homes of interest are approx. 5 min walk to train. My husband works near Bryant park. Does anyone on this forum take the train to midtown from Little Silver 5 days a week? Currently, his commute is just over an hour. Given NJTransit performance, I would like to get insight from those who have done this or are doing it currently.

Thanks for you help.
I took the train from Little Silver pretty regularly over the past nine years (except of course for after Sandy when the Raritan train bridge was out) however, for the majority of the time, I took it to Newark Penn and changed for the PATH for downtown.

Still, I've taken it all the way to Penn a fair number of times, as well, and still do occasionally.

It's about an hour and 20 minutes.

Reality is that the train is on time most of the time. Another reality is that the Bergen Tunnels DO have to be replaced, and there's nothing Jersey Transit or anyone else can do to ameliorate what happens if a train breaks down in the tunnels until they build new ones.

Trains between Penn and NJ run going both ways for a total of about 20 trains an hour. However, if one tunnel is shut down because of a breakdown or a tunnel problem, that drops to SIX trains per hour because now you only have one tunnel and trains have to wait until the tunnel is clear for trains to come the opposite way. That's how backups begin.

So in short, yes, the trains on the NJCL run pretty well, but there's not guarantee that you won't hit any problems. In fact, you can guarantee that you WILL hit problems, but it won't be every day or even the majority of the time.

Also, this is going to happen no matter which train line you use as long as it goes into Penn. You have to have a backup commute, which any commuter should have anyway.

There are a very limited number of trains that go to Hoboken, so that's an alternative. You would catch the 33rd Street PATH line at Hoboken. You could also switch to PATH at Newark, take the PATH to the WTC, and get a subway to midtown at the hub there.

I know you said walking would be possible, but note that a plus side to Little Silver is that unlike many other train towns, the lot at Little Silver has plenty of parking. It's $3 a day, but you can get an annual permit from the town that cuts the price in half.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 397 times
Thank you very much for the insight. My husband typically does a Citibike from Penn Station to 45th and 5th.

Very good to know about the train station parking lot though. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 07:03 PM

58,900 posts, read 56,660,289 times
Good luck with whatever you decide. Little Silver is a nice choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or