U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 578 times

Advertisements

I am a CA resident and now visiting NJ.

Just got a ticket for failing to give proper signal. The ticket is $85 and due in 2 weeks, otherwise, need to appear in court. However, I'm leaving next week and cannot wait that long.

I have perfect driving record and just found that my last name was wrong in the ticket.

Can I dispute it (with this obvious error) in court? My main concern is that it affects the driving record.
I just called the court and was given two options
a) show up tomorrow, but the police office is not available, not sure if it helps me
b) mail me a form so that I can return it back to the court.

Any suggestions? Really appreciate it!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 05:48 PM

2,795 posts, read 927,490 times
How is your last name wrong? If they have everything else right on the ticket, I say pay it. NJ will track you down. I got a ticket here in 1985 which I'd paid but somehow missed the "restore fee" for my driver's license probably because I had long since moved to CA (!) and didn't think the fee was valid any more. Fast forward 30 years and they made me pay $100 fee so I could get my NJ license restored so I could get my PA license!! Silver lining is by the time I got back to NJ, getting my new NJDL was a breeze .

Old 08-13-2019, 07:52 PM

5,485 posts, read 13,476,418 times
I would check to see if anything from NJ transfers back to CA. Many or at least some states don't.

The reason they say you can come in without the cop being there is because 99% or 100% of the time they offer you a deal to swap something with points to no points but more money, but,,, that may affect your CA record or not.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:12 PM

2,795 posts, read 927,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I would check to see if anything from NJ transfers back to CA. Many or at least some states don't.

The reason they say you can come in without the cop being there is because 99% or 100% of the time they offer you a deal to swap something with points to no points but more money, but,,, that may affect your CA record or not.
It was 20 years later and I was living in CA when they tracked me down to pay the ticket (which I thought I already had, but apparently not).

Old 08-13-2019, 08:51 PM

1,095 posts, read 489,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesz2k View Post
I am a CA resident and now visiting NJ.

Just got a ticket for failing to give proper signal. The ticket is $85 and due in 2 weeks, otherwise, need to appear in court. However, I'm leaving next week and cannot wait that long.

I have perfect driving record and just found that my last name was wrong in the ticket.

Can I dispute it (with this obvious error) in court? My main concern is that it affects the driving record.
I just called the court and was given two options
a) show up tomorrow, but the police office is not available, not sure if it helps me
b) mail me a form so that I can return it back to the court.

Any suggestions? Really appreciate it!
Thanks
I am glad you got busted for not using a turn signal and I am sick all of the inhumane people who can't use one. Not using a turn signal is like saying you are autistic, because driving is a social skill.

Btw, there is an app called WinIt and it has good ratings. Never used it, but I heard it is an app that can easily fight tickets. You have to pay for it first, but it saves you money than getting a real life lawyer. I read up that if you did not win the case, then you can get a refund, except I heard that NJ does not give refunds back on lost cases through WinIt.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:36 PM

There are all sorts of rumors about what you can and can not do.

Decades ago I processed a ticket in the next town over from where I lived by mail, telling them I was going to be away on a work assignment and went through all the details, they charged me the fine, I paid it but they never processed any points nor record on it.

Someone else told me if you pay more than the amount, say its $85 and you send in $90 they can not process the points on it. i have no idea if that is true and if it applies in NJ.

Possibly if you either process the case through the mail they might not charge you any points, keep the name misspelled maybe that could help.

You could even play the "wasn't me" game in CA if any points come back to haunt you. Wrong name, someone borrowed the car, etc.

Sometimes states and/or insurance companies don't care if you turn it into one of the zero points traffic charges as some of them are like parking tickets which are not moving violations. Sometimes not. All depends on the details and often your luck.

Looks like CA lets you knock off the points from NJ by taking an online NJ driving course also so I would see what you can do either in court or by mail, then if turns into CA points knock that down to zero by taking an online course valid in NJ. Online CA says you can do that.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:51 PM

Points on your California license
For Out-of-State Violations
The following Out of State violations will be points on your Californian driver license if you are convicted of these violations:-

If this webpage is accurate, you could plead to obstructing traffic in NJ and that is not on the CA list of transferable violations according to this page:

https://helpwithtrafficticket.com/ou...raffic-ticket/

Otherwise then you could take an online defensive driving course to knock it off

Old 08-17-2019, 07:59 PM

15,723 posts, read 5,627,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I am glad you got busted for not using a turn signal and I am sick all of the inhumane people who can't use one. Not using a turn signal is like saying you are autistic, because driving is a social skill.

Btw, there is an app called WinIt and it has good ratings. Never used it, but I heard it is an app that can easily fight tickets. You have to pay for it first, but it saves you money than getting a real life lawyer. I read up that if you did not win the case, then you can get a refund, except I heard that NJ does not give refunds back on lost cases through WinIt.
..................so how is the fry job at McD's going?

Old 08-17-2019, 11:54 PM

1,095 posts, read 489,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
..................so how is the fry job at McD's going?
Oh terrible. I accidentally burned my face in a deep fryer and now I am a burn victim

Old 08-18-2019, 08:57 AM

4,359 posts, read 9,513,046 times
You pay the 85 bucks and go on your merry way back to CA. Why is this even a question? Are you seriously going to pay to book another flight back to NJ in 2 weeks, take time off of work, etc. just to fight this ticket, which you're probably not going to win anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or