U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 08:51 AM

100 posts, read 36,622 times

Advertisements

I'm going to echo everyone else. Take the job in SF. It's a good salary, especially for someone with no family/children to support. Even in SF, you can live pretty well on that salary. And honestly, if the alternative is living with your parents, I would make the move even at less money. If you hate it you can always come back.

I think everyone should jump off and take an adventure into the unknown at least once in their life. You'll learn a lot about yourself, and you may even love it and not look back. NJ will always be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 10:17 AM

4,362 posts, read 9,515,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post

I think everyone should jump off and take an adventure into the unknown at least once in their life. You'll learn a lot about yourself, and you may even love it and not look back. NJ will always be here.
100% agreed. I'm now in my mid 40's and one of my biggest regrets in life is not having ever left the NY/NJ metro area. I never got to experience the culture or lifestyle of another city. Maybe I would not have liked living somewhere else, but now with a family and career in NJ I am tied down here for the long term.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:30 AM

12,807 posts, read 10,851,010 times
That's a huge salary difference, and for a permanent position in CA. I do know that the Bay Area is insanely expensive, especially for housing, but it's pretty expensive here, too. Not sure how it compares or how much worse it is there. I assume you've looked into apartments and rent costs there, or will if you haven't. If you can find housing for a price you can comfortably afford then why not move? As long as the salary discrepancy is not bad when comparing/considering COL, it sounds like a better opportunity out there.

The opportunity to possibly become a permanent employee with a similar salary here is nice and would make the job here more competitive when compared to the one in CA, but there is no guarantee.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:03 AM

17 posts, read 7,573 times
Thank you for the advice. The other concern I have is money. I need to earn money to book a flight and put down a deposit for a place in California. I would like to take a chance in California, but I do want to make sure I have enough money before leaving Jersey.

From a career standpoint, is it be wise to just start the contract job to earn cash in the meantime? I would only work there for about 4 weeks before leaving for the permanent job.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:16 AM

100 posts, read 36,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithmillennium View Post
Thank you for the advice. The other concern I have is money. I need to earn money to book a flight and put down a deposit for a place in California. I would like to take a chance in California, but I do want to make sure I have enough money before leaving Jersey.

From a career standpoint, is it be wise to just start the contract job to earn cash in the meantime? I would only work there for about 4 weeks before leaving for the permanent job.
I'm assuming your potential new company in SF would cover relocation (and transportation out there), both for house hunting and permanent move? That's pretty standard, unless they were clear upfront that there would be no relocation assistance available.

I do think it's prudent to have some level of savings to get yourself set up before the paychecks start rolling in. You would probably need to figure that part out yourself, either by borrowing the money, or in this case taking the temporary position and trying to save every last penny. Maybe you could find a short-term roommate situation to shortcut the deposit part of finding a place to live? I do think those are pretty common out there given the high cost of living.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I'm assuming your potential new company in SF would cover relocation (and transportation out there), both for house hunting and permanent move? That's pretty standard unless they were clear upfront that there would be no relocation assistance available.

I do think it's prudent to have some level of savings to get yourself set up before the paychecks start rolling in. You would probably need to figure that part out yourself, either by borrowing the money, or in this case taking the temporary position and trying to save every last penny. Maybe you could find a short-term roommate situation to shortcut the deposit part of finding a place to live? I do think those are pretty common out there given the high cost of living.
The employer will only pay for either temporary housing or moving services (transporting personal belongings to the new location). The employer will not pay for both. Either (1) choose temporary housing, but pay to ship all my belongs to California or (2) the employer pays for moving all goods and airfare, but have to find my own housing before the start date.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:11 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,312,689 times
Quote:

In my opinion, this would be unethical and unprofessional. In one month on a new job, you will probably will just start understanding what is happening and then you leave. I am personally a terrible liar and would be very uncomfortable for this month knowing that I have other plans.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:13 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,312,689 times
Quote:
The employer will only pay for either temporary housing or moving services (transporting personal belongings to the new location). The employer will not pay for both. Either (1) choose temporary housing, but pay to ship all my belongs to California or (2) the employer pays for moving all goods and airfare, but have to find my own housing before the start date.
If I were you, I would take temporary housing. At least you know that you have somewhere to stay for a few weeks to a month? If you are single, then you probably don't have too many belongings. Shipping furniture across the country probably doesn't make sense.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:11 PM

1,168 posts, read 847,484 times
San Fran is a beautiful city. If you can tolerate the homeless, drug issues and the political loons out there, I'd say go for it.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
In my opinion, this would be unethical and unprofessional. In one month on a new job, you will probably will just start understanding what is happening and then you leave. I am personally a terrible liar and would be very uncomfortable for this month knowing that I have other plans.

I had a feeling that would be the case, but I need to earn money. Financially, I'm in a tough spot. I cannot postpone work. Hopefully they can flip the contract to FT opportunity in a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or