U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 08:33 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,154,853 times

Advertisements

head west young grasshopper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 10:28 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,000,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithmillennium View Post
I had a feeling that would be the case, but I need to earn money. Financially, I'm in a tough spot. I cannot postpone work. Hopefully they can flip the contract to FT opportunity in a month.
So just take the NYC job for a month. It is a bit unethical since you already know you’re quitting in a month, but they don’t know that. Plus, it’s a temp gig anyway so they’re not really invested in you for you to care all that much. If you had a better option for earning money over the next month I wouldn’t recommend this route, but it doesn’t sound like you do.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:19 AM

2,077 posts, read 539,314 times
Take the contract and stay in NJ. You will continue to have access to the area and NYC which is the financial capital of the world. Since you work in finance, that's where you want to have access to. Also, people who work in finance in San Francisco many still live on East Coast time.

You think it is expensive to live in NJ, San Francisco is just crazy. You won't be able to afford a home on $140K a year there unless you want to have roommates or a spouse with a very good income too. If the position were offering $250K base then it may be worth considering.

The contract will allow you to stay in the area, and there is a good chance at the end of the contract after you make a great impression on them they will want to hire you directly. Also, relocation packages don't cover everything, you end with outside costs because of the move. Considering you have been out of work and unemployment has run out, you are going to have to go into your own pocket there.

I've been in San Francisco about a dozen times on business trips. It is no place I would want to live. It is a very pretentious area, and the weather isn't like what people think is wonderful in California. The summers there are cold. And it rains a lot. If you want to buy a home there be prepared to spend $2.5m-$3.5m for a 1600 sq foot home in an urban area with no windows on either side of the house because there isn't even airspace and barely a lawn. Otherwise you will end up commuting 2 hours living far away.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:39 AM

3,789 posts, read 3,270,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post

You think it is expensive to live in NJ, San Francisco is just crazy. You won't be able to afford a home on $140K a year there unless you want to have roommates or a spouse with a very good income too. If the position were offering $250K base then it may be worth considering.

Housing costs in SF proper are insanely expensive. But south of the city, they're more affordable. A car is an absolute necessity if living outside SF or maybe Oakland. I would not recommend living in Oakland. The OP, I assume, will rent not buy.

Quote:
I've been in San Francisco about a dozen times on business trips. It is no place I would want to live. It is a very pretentious area, and the weather isn't like what people think is wonderful in California. The summers there are cold. And it rains a lot. If you want to buy a home there be prepared to spend $2.5m-$3.5m for a 1600 sq foot home in an urban area with no windows on either side of the house because there isn't even airspace and barely a lawn. Otherwise you will end up commuting 2 hours living far away.

The job is not in SF according to the OP. The OP has not said where it's actually located. The weather in SF can be described as bracing. It rarely gets hot and the sun shines most of the time. It rains in the winter but the rain is over quickly and the sun comes out.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 3,839 times
I would honestly take the permanent role in SF. Especially if they are giving you relocation assistance. If you are young with nothing holding you down in Jersey, go west, experience some new cities and cultures. California may have its problems that a lot of people will probably shout about, it is still an awesome place with a lot to offer and explore and you can always come back when you are ready. I did this with my first job out of college and it was a great decision. Was it hard to leave family and friends? Yes, but sometimes in life to better ourselves culturally and career-wise we have to get a change of scenery and places. I would work the contract role until you start your new gig, you need to do what you have to do to live and put food on the table. They will adjust and be fine and find another contractor quick enough.

Good luck, if you choose to go to SF you are so close (relatively speaking) to Mountains, Beach, Wine Country, Skiing, Outdoors galore, LA, and all the west has to offer.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 PM

24 posts, read 13,942 times
My initial response was to take the position in SF but on second thoughts it depends on how long have you been unemployed in total. For example, if this is the first time in your life that you were out of a job (for 7 months) that means you always managed to find something in contracting and this layoff was just a one off case. If that's the case, then stick with NJ/NY

Because even though a permanent job sounds extremely attractive, SF is super expensive, plus the taxes are really high as well. Gas is expensive, everything is expensive. Also, since you are in finance, I am sure you will find something in NY when this contracting position ends. Again, it depends on how many times you have been unemployed, if this keeps happening, then a full time position is your best bet.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:38 PM

2,077 posts, read 539,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

The job is not in SF according to the OP. The OP has not said where it's actually located. The weather in SF can be described as bracing. It rarely gets hot and the sun shines most of the time. It rains in the winter but the rain is over quickly and the sun comes out.
On many of the business trips to San Francisco it rained all day and it was overcast. This is from my personal experience being there. Having to wear a sweater during the summer nights means it is cold.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:03 AM

14,839 posts, read 17,900,956 times
Quote:
On many of the business trips to San Francisco it rained all day and it was overcast. This is from my personal experience being there. Having to wear a sweater during the summer nights means it is cold.
One of my favorite quotes from Mark Twain is...
The coldest winter I ever experienced was one summer in San Francisco.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:57 AM

2,297 posts, read 1,312,689 times
Quote:

I would take that over crazy heat and humidity of our area any day. And practically no need for AC which is even better.

But SF became unreasonably expensive and congested. Living anywhere close to it is super expensive. I think the decision the OP needs to make is whether he wants an adventure, wants to try to live completely independently and essentially remake his life. Some people thrive on this challenge, some people would run from it. I think personally this would be too much of a challenge for me. Although I did not live with my parents after I turned 26, I enjoyed having them and my friends relatively close and had no desire to reinvent my life by moving so far... Also, most of the finance jobs are in the NYC area. SF is mre for high tech & u=insurance jobs as far as I know.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:15 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,000,868 times
Most of the finance jobs might very well be in NYC but for 7 months he hasn't been able to land one, so heading west may be the more prudent decision here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or