U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 07:01 PM

17 posts, read 7,581 times

Advertisements

I have been offered two job opportunities a contract position in my home state in the Tri-State area and a permanent opportunity in the Bay area. I have been unemployed for nearly 7 months. Plus, I have exhausted my unemployment benefits as well. Now, I have been presented with two job opportunities but I do not know which to pursue. It's a good problem, but a problem nonetheless.

Stay local and take the Contract Role
The contract position is located near NYC at a reputable bank with a possibility to transition to a permanent hire. The current pay rate is between 60 - 70k hourly with no benefits offered except healthcare provided through the placement agency. If I transition to a permanent employee, then I will be offered full benefits. If offered FT role, it is presumed the salary rates will be between 130-135K plus bonus incentives. However, this is assuming I will transition full-time.
Pro:
- No need to relocate
- No new cost incentives (reside with parents and familiar with the area)
- Love NYC; no place like it
- Start immediately to earn money

Con:
- Uncertainty the job will transition to full-time
- No personal growth if I stay local

Be adventurous! Take Permanent Role in the Bay
The permanent position is located in the Bay area with a financial services firm. The salary rate offered is between 135K - 145K with full benefits and bonus incentives. The company does offer relocation assistance for employees (moving services, spending allowance, temporary housing, etc). The company is located in San Fran suburbs, but shuttle bus services are provided as well as public transportation subsidy.
Pro:
- It is a full-time job
- Opportunity to live in NorCal and personal growth
- Great benefits offered

Con:
- I have NO family in California. I consider myself to be a loner. So I adjusting to the area may be difficult.
- Public transportation is not as efficient as the Tri-state. As a non-driver (I don't have a driver's license), getting around may be hard.
- The cost of living is extremely high compared to my current residency. I am concerned the salary may not offset the cost of living.

The Plan
As I mentioned earlier, I have been unemployed for months. I need to work ASAP. I figure working at the contract will provide immediate payment which will be applied to existing expenses as well as put money aside for relocating (airfare, rent, hotel, etc).

The downside is the permanent opportunity starts in autumn and the contract starts immediately. Thus, I will have to leave the employer after a month. Leaving after only working one month does not seem fair to the end client. Then again, I need to earn an income. Plus, it is not guaranteed FT will be offered. I do not want to lose a permanent role. I have to make a decision ASAP. Suggestions?

Last edited by faithmillennium; 08-14-2019 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: changes to font
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 08:39 PM

93 posts, read 17,333 times
Just wondering, how come the full-time position (in Bay Area) is 135k - 145k range for salary? A permanent offer will have an exact salary. I have a hard time believing a single person can't manage cost of living with that salary in the Bay Area.

Personally I'd take the full-time job in the Bay Area, but since you mentioned that you'd be lonely out there, you don't drive, you love NYC and reside with parents, stick with the NYC contract. You can always find a local permanent job during or after the contract.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:52 PM

17 posts, read 7,581 times
I didn't want to put the exact pay in case someone on this forum figures out the company. It's in the upper 135-140K range. FYI, the average salary rate for middle-class income in the San Fran area is 150K for someone in my field. I figure living in Oakland would be a cheaper alternative to San Fran.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:05 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,001,638 times
I think you’re more likely to regret it if you don’t leave. It’s a permanent role. It’s an opportunity to experience new place. Seems like you’re young and have nothing keeping you here other than family. Learn to drive. Force yourself to socialize. That salary is enough for a single person to live anywhere. If it doesn’t work out, you can always come back. Good luck to you.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:38 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,940,089 times
If you have no family or anything else holding you back, then I'd go to the Bay Area.

Pretty amazing to get a job offer of 140K after being unemployed for 7 months.

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:54 PM

16 posts, read 4,148 times
Go for the permanent position. I'm sure people at work will be helpful knowing you are new to the area. Maybe you can find an apt. in a walkable neighborhood close to the things you need. If you don't like it, you can always come back home. Best of luck!

Old 08-14-2019, 10:02 PM

248 posts, read 636,582 times
San Fran is awful nowadays. Super costly, tons of homeless people. Housing costs are absurd. Worse than Hawaii.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:18 PM

1,141 posts, read 366,020 times
Go to San Fran

Old 08-14-2019, 11:00 PM

3,790 posts, read 3,271,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithmillennium View Post

The company is located in San Fran suburbs, but shuttle bus services are provided as well as public transportation subsidy.

- Public transportation is not as efficient as the Tri-state. As a non-driver (I don't have a driver's license), getting around may be hard.
-

You will need a driver's license if you'll be living anywhere in CA except SF. That's essential. If the company is located south of SF, below is a video of the Caltrain ride from San Jose to SF. This is a beautiful area with great weather. Don't pass up this opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUq_abW1Gps

Old 08-15-2019, 02:07 AM

26,155 posts, read 24,918,074 times
Take the permanent job. It may not be permanent, but it'll last for a while. The Bay area is no cheaper than the NYC metro, but if you can make rent, utilities, and have enough money to eat, that will be good enough for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or