Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 09:04 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
"Time Square" is just a few blocks from the Port OF Authority Bus Terminal!
Haha. I can't stand it that people simply call the PABT "The Port Authority", but I'm never going to win that one.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:26 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Probably nothing for that price in Brooklyn these days, either.
well, either not as nice as OP wants or not in an area the OP wants to be but technically its there.

im not exactly sure what income is worth commuting every day to nyc for but i dont think its an income consistent with someone who cant afford more than $2,500 a month for housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 11:22 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, either not as nice as OP wants or not in an area the OP wants to be but technically its there.

im not exactly sure what income is worth commuting every day to nyc for but i dont think its an income consistent with someone who cant afford more than $2,500 a month for housing.
I tend to agree,,, BUT yet many have done so,,,, Yes? No? And my experiences are more from the 1980's and such.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:30 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
Out of that list I would scratch off most and keep Nutley, Rutherford, not East Rutherford which is not the same town, Carlstadt, Wood Ridge next door to Carlstadt. Maybe a little further up Bergen County on a rail line which you can find on njtransit.com farther away but higher income area with maybe higher rated schools.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Looks like it's not impossible in West Orange, but it'll have to be a house, and you'll need to be careful about which elementary school the place is zoned for (you don't want Hazel, and Gregory is OK, and that's about the extent of my knowledge).

(And it's "The Bus Terminal of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, Circle 7 Inner, City of Dis, Inferno")

Old 08-18-2019, 08:10 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Looks like it's not impossible in West Orange, but it'll have to be a house, and you'll need to be careful about which elementary school the place is zoned for (you don't want Hazel, and Gregory is OK, and that's about the extent of my knowledge).

(And it's "The Bus Terminal of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, Circle 7 Inner, City of Dis, Inferno")
Hahahaha.

I worked in the engineering office when they were building the North Wing. Now it's falling apart. What does that say about me?

Don't answer that!

The PABT will be replaced. Eventually, I will be, too, I suppose.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:59 PM

99 posts, read 63,334 times
Well the the votes are in *drum roll* (with family approval of course)

We have narrowed down to Lodi NJ - elementary school rate 8, middle school 9 and within 60 minutes to TimeS Sqr. and 3 br for 2100-2200$ (there's a few). It's a great neighbo(u)rhood - that typical American suburb feel I grew up watching on TV )

Brilliant - hope we get the house !

PS: the 'u' in neighbour is an old but permissible habit for nice Australians like me.

Thank you one and all. Yes other suburbs possible as well.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:10 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIEinNYC View Post
Well the the votes are in *drum roll* (with family approval of course)

We have narrowed down to Lodi NJ - elementary school rate 8, middle school 9 and within 60 minutes to TimeS Sqr. and 3 br for 2100-2200$ (there's a few). It's a great neighbo(u)rhood - that typical American suburb feel I grew up watching on TV )

Brilliant - hope we get the house !

PS: the 'u' in neighbour is an old but permissible habit for nice Australians like me.

Thank you one and all. Yes other suburbs possible as well.
Glad you found something that you think will work for you! Good luck with the move and enjoy it here

Old 08-21-2019, 11:02 AM

31 posts, read 35,560 times
I recently moved from the Bronx to Fair Lawn. My monthly train ticket is $227. If I take the 7:10 AM train from Radburn to Penn I get to work (53rd and 5th) at about 8:10 AM. The first couple weeks I was taking the bus and that was $167 I believe for the month. On the way home, they have an express train that gets you from Penn to Radburn in about 35 minutes (including a stop in Secaucus). Once you are a resident, you can apply for a monthly permit which is $10/month for commuter parking.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:09 PM

99 posts, read 63,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_four View Post
I recently moved from the Bronx to Fair Lawn. My monthly train ticket is $227. If I take the 7:10 AM train from Radburn to Penn I get to work (53rd and 5th) at about 8:10 AM. The first couple weeks I was taking the bus and that was $167 I believe for the month. On the way home, they have an express train that gets you from Penn to Radburn in about 35 minutes (including a stop in Secaucus). Once you are a resident, you can apply for a monthly permit which is $10/month for commuter parking.
Great advice thanks!

And where is this commuter parking ? and where does one apply for it ?

Thanks again!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey