U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2019, 05:34 PM
 
64 posts, read 15,617 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

Hi all,

Looking to live in NJ to commute to a new position 2 blocks from Time Square (hurray!)

I have elementary kids.

What are my options in terms of good schools and a 60-75 minute commute?

I have seriously considered Bergen county suburbs close to NY like Lyndhurst Carlstadt North Arlington, (East) Rutherford, Passaic, Fort Lee, Nutley, Kearny, Cliffside , Lodi, Clifton, Paterson, Hackensack- are there others ? Any advice on these suburbs I mention in regards to schools and commute?

I have also considered Bayside and Flsushing in Queens (because of the school ranking - greatschools.org). But it's further than above mention suburbs but the public transport with the subway is cheap and convenient

I prefer a more suburban feel - closer to the Hudson becomes quite high density, and further closer to Newark crime seems to increase.

Wayne NJ is an option but the commute costs if I take express buses appears to be expensive $16 return as opposed to a 2.75 or $3 bus fare when closer to the Hudson (see https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763… ) OR am i wrong ?

Some friends recommend zone 1 or zone 2 buses in NJ (but i couldn't find a map of the bus zones_ can someone recommend me a good link ?

Also are there monthly tickets for NJ transit ? including for express buses ? trains seem to be more expensive as well. Except the Path network near Newark (which i guess is light rail). But that area appear to be high density and closer to higher 'crime rates' ( i see these crime rates from zillow types apps). Maybe I can drive to a station and park ( and free street parking is another question then- OR not)

I appreciate there is no perfect solution but any advice helps. The main factors are schools and 60-75 min commute, of course travel cost will be a factor. (And i didn't bring up rental properties which is another issue)

Any and all advice appreciated! Indebted for sound advice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2019, 05:51 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 2,534,343 times
Reputation: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIEinNYC View Post
Hi all,

Looking to live in NJ to commute to a new position 2 blocks from Time Square (hurray!)

I have elementary kids.

What are my options in terms of good schools and a 60-75 minute commute?

I have seriously considered Bergen county suburbs close to NY like Lyndhurst Carlstadt North Arlington, (East) Rutherford, Passaic, Fort Lee, Nutley, Kearny, Cliffside , Lodi, Clifton, Paterson, Hackensack- are there others ? Any advice on these suburbs I mention in regards to schools and commute?

I have also considered Bayside and Flsushing in Queens (because of the school ranking - greatschools.org). But it's further than above mention suburbs but the public transport with the subway is cheap and convenient

I prefer a more suburban feel - closer to the Hudson becomes quite high density, and further closer to Newark crime seems to increase.

Wayne NJ is an option but the commute costs if I take express buses appears to be expensive $16 return as opposed to a 2.75 or $3 bus fare when closer to the Hudson (see https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763… ) OR am i wrong ?

Some friends recommend zone 1 or zone 2 buses in NJ (but i couldn't find a map of the bus zones_ can someone recommend me a good link ?

Also are there monthly tickets for NJ transit ? including for express buses ? trains seem to be more expensive as well. Except the Path network near Newark (which i guess is light rail). But that area appear to be high density and closer to higher 'crime rates' ( i see these crime rates from zillow types apps). Maybe I can drive to a station and park ( and free street parking is another question then- OR not)

I appreciate there is no perfect solution but any advice helps. The main factors are schools and 60-75 min commute, of course travel cost will be a factor. (And i didn't bring up rental properties which is another issue)

Any and all advice appreciated! Indebted for sound advice....

How did you pick those towns? With the exceptions of Fort Lee and Nutley, none of those districts have good schools. Well, Lyndhurst and North Arlington might have “OK” schools. And Paterson, a suburb?!? It’s NJ’s 3rd largest city, and definitely NOT suburban. Passaic, while much smaller, is also urban.

Better choices could be provided if you provide a budget, but check out Fair Lawn or Rutherford (NOT East Rutherford, there’s a big difference). Both have train stations, good schools, and, by insane Bergen County standards, anyway, are moderately priced. Nutley isn’t a bad choice either, but I’d put both Fair Lawn and Rutherford a step higher.

If you’re a zillionaire, you could check out Ridgewood, Glen Rock, or Montclair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2019, 06:25 PM
 
64 posts, read 15,617 times
Reputation: 26
maximum budget is 2400, maybe 2500. for a 3 bedroom.




Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
How did you pick those towns? With the exceptions of Fort Lee and Nutley, none of those districts have good schools. Well, Lyndhurst and North Arlington might have “OK” schools. And Paterson, a suburb?!? It’s NJ’s 3rd largest city, and definitely NOT suburban. Passaic, while much smaller, is also urban.

Better choices could be provided if you provide a budget, but check out Fair Lawn or Rutherford (NOT East Rutherford, there’s a big difference). Both have train stations, good schools, and, by insane Bergen County standards, anyway, are moderately priced. Nutley isn’t a bad choice either, but I’d put both Fair Lawn and Rutherford a step higher.

If you’re a zillionaire, you could check out Ridgewood, Glen Rock, or Montclair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2019, 07:33 PM
 
Location: southwest TN
8,260 posts, read 15,225,818 times
Reputation: 15141
I grew up in Kearny, which is in Hudson County, not Bergen. And the schools back then were among the highest rated. But that was in the 60s. Drove around town for my 50th HS reunion last year and it's still a nice looking suburban town. I'd have to agree with zhelder on Rutherford and Fairlawn being your best of all the towns you've named. There aren't a whole lot of 3 bedrooms for rent right now in Kearny - just looked on one of those rental sites - they are advertised for ~$2K. 2nd or 3rd story. The biggest problem I see you're going to have is finding a 3 bedroom in Rutherford or Fairlawn at all. I didn't see a single 3 bedroom listed and the ones in neighboring towns are showing high $3000. If you're going to look at Kearny (there's a direct bus on Belleville Pike going to Manhattan) consider the elementary school - for me it'd be Roosevelt hands down. There's nothing specifically wrong with the others, just a personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2019, 08:26 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 2,534,343 times
Reputation: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIEinNYC View Post
maximum budget is 2400, maybe 2500. for a 3 bedroom.
Ah... there’s the rub...

Your budget is simply too low for what you want. The best you’re going to do on that budget is likely North Arlington or Lyndhurst, and maybe, as a very long shot, Nutley. That budget likely has to get bumped up to $3,000ish for Fair Lawn or Rutherford. Zillionaire towns are out of the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 08:26 AM
 
898 posts, read 610,994 times
Reputation: 1132
My advice is to negotiate for a higher salary or a housing allowance. What you want is not at all doable. Very very few towns are within 1 hour commute with very good schools and they are much more expensive. In addition, commuting costs are pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
58,533 posts, read 56,441,297 times
Reputation: 69720
And not just to be picky, but since you're going to be working near there, it is Times Square, with an S.

I see the omission of the S quite frequently, and it's perplexing, because it's named after the NYC newspaper New York Times, which used to be headquartered there. I thought that was common knowledge. But people don't seem to know that and appear to think it has something to do with a clock.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-16-2019 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 09:36 AM
 
14,839 posts, read 17,897,557 times
Reputation: 19587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And not just to be picky, but since you're going to be working near there, it is Times Square, with an S.
"Time Square" is just a few blocks from the Port OF Authority Bus Terminal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 09:38 AM
 
Location: NJ
24,871 posts, read 30,984,836 times
Reputation: 16852
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIEinNYC View Post
maximum budget is 2400, maybe 2500. for a 3 bedroom.
if that is your maximum budget than you arent really in a position to live in nj and commute to nyc. you are better off just living in brooklyn and accepting your fate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
58,533 posts, read 56,441,297 times
Reputation: 69720
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if that is your maximum budget than you arent really in a position to live in nj and commute to nyc. you are better off just living in brooklyn and accepting your fate.
Probably nothing for that price in Brooklyn these days, either.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top