U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 09:40 AM

14,843 posts, read 17,903,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
NJ "threw" the useless city of Paterson on the map.

It's really sad that you are so ignorant regarding the history of our state, and--in particular--the vision of Alexander Hamilton.
If you read this concise history of The Society For Establishing Useful Manufactures, you will learn a LOT:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Societ...l_Manufactures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 AM

7,220 posts, read 10,133,146 times
Default why does PA have so many kids attractions

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_jersey View Post
why does PA have so many kids attractions ( kids parks , kids water play , food factory tours etc )?
as compared to that NJ NY doesnt have many .

is it due to government incentive or location or some other reason .
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Short answer is that Pennsylvania went big into promoting tourism when industries started collapsing forty plus years ago.
This is something I noticed myself.

North Beach has a possible reason. Other reasons:

- Pennsylvania's central location (its called the Keystone State for a reason) between Baltimore/DC, Philadelphia, NYC, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and many cities in Ohio.

- less expensive and less taxed land

- in other areas, notable the NYC area, the land is considerable to be to valuable for amusement parks and instead is wasted on yet more housing. I don't blame the people who are living there but in a massively overcrowded metro area of 20 million people or so, did we really need to replace a historic amusement park like Palisades Park with 4 apartment buildings? Or the housing that replaced parks in Coney Island, the Rockaways or the Bronx?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palisa...nt_Park#Demise

Old 08-20-2019, 11:14 AM

14,843 posts, read 17,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
- in other areas, notable the NYC area, the land is considerable to be to valuable for amusement parks and instead is wasted on yet more housing. I don't blame the people who are living there but in a massively overcrowded metro area of 20 million people or so, did we really need to replace a historic amusement park like Palisades Park with 4 apartment buildings? Or the housing that replaced parks in Coney Island, the Rockaways or the Bronx?
I still have fond memories of visiting Freedomland--in the East Bronx--twice, as a kid. After it was demolished, Co-Op City rose on that massive site.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...edomland-u-s-a

If Freedomland, or Palisades Amusement Park, had continued to be profitable, they would probably have lasted for many more years.

How can anyone prevent the closure--and sale--of a privately-held amusement complex?
Clearly, you can't.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:53 PM

180 posts, read 105,389 times
Guess we are forgetting six flags?

Old 08-21-2019, 11:54 AM

50 posts, read 28,587 times
Curious to know where all the kid-friendly places are in PA, as we cross the state border more often than not.

Here are the ones I know of:

Camelback Waterpark
Hershey Park
Sesame Place
Dorney Park

Any more to add?

Old 08-21-2019, 12:02 PM

7,253 posts, read 11,393,216 times
Since you listed Hersheypark, I'll add Knoebels. It's close to there. :-)

Old 08-21-2019, 12:55 PM

832 posts, read 710,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchannel View Post
Curious to know where all the kid-friendly places are in PA, as we cross the state border more often than not.

Here are the ones I know of:

Camelback Waterpark
Hershey Park
Sesame Place
Dorney Park

Any more to add?
Crayola Factory

Old 08-21-2019, 04:24 PM

832 posts, read 710,740 times
To be fair, I don’t think this is really an honest assessment as at all. NJ, which is much smaller than PA, has the following:

Six Flags Great Adventure
Mountain Creek
Liberty Science Center
Clementon Park
Land of Make Believe
Diggerland
Sahara Sam’s
Camden Children’s Garden
Garden State Discovery Museum

More than enough children’s attractions and amusement parks down the Shore, including:
Wildwood
Ocean City
Atlantic City
Beach Haven
Seaside Heights
Point Pleasant Beach

Old 08-21-2019, 10:57 PM

7,220 posts, read 10,133,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I still have fond memories of visiting Freedomland--in the East Bronx--twice, as a kid. After it was demolished, Co-Op City rose on that massive site.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...edomland-u-s-a

If Freedomland, or Palisades Amusement Park, had continued to be profitable, they would probably have lasted for many more years.

How can anyone prevent the closure--and sale--of a privately-held amusement complex?
Clearly, you can't.

You are right, you cannot force a private company to keep an amusement park open but you do not have to cave in and change the zoning so they can create massive housing projects if they close down the parks. That just encourages them to sell out and close down.

I am guess I am complaining because everywhere you look in the New York area is housing, apartments, housing, apartments, housing and more housing. Its not the duty of the New York area to pave over every amusement park, farm or square inch of land so yet more people can come here from around the country or around the world. Some consideration should be to the QOL of the people who live here now and future generations.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:41 PM

6,919 posts, read 6,759,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_jersey View Post
why does PA have so many kids attractions ( kids parks , kids water play , food factory tours etc )?
as compared to that NJ NY doesnt have many .

is it due to government incentive or location or some other reason .
NJ has Space Farms, Action Park, and Six Flags Great Adventure. Plus we have beaches. PA has no beaches. We also have nearby NYC with its museums.

NY State has plenty of kids things to do in Hudson Valley. There is Great Escape. LI has Splish Splash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or