U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 01:29 PM

2,077 posts, read 539,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I know plenty of highly intelligent people who like hanging out in bars. Most of them are lawyers. . The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

But that is besides the point. Even if she doesn’t “hang out in bars”, Most young people dont want to hang out with a bunch of older people with families. They usually want to be around other younger, single people, and I have spent enough time in Peapack-Gladstone to know that there are not a whole lot of those there. At least not, out and about.
And I'm sure they are top attorneys too.

You are making an assumption about someone else's life style simply because they are young and need to be someplace to meet people. Smart people at that age are serious about their work. Statistics show most people after college find a mate in the work place or through contact with customers and vendors in the work place, not by hanging out in the trendy area. I've been to many weddings of co-workers who found a mate in the company. All have been long marriages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 01:11 PM

898 posts, read 611,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post

You are making an assumption about someone else's life style simply because they are young and need to be someplace to meet people. Smart people at that age are serious about their work. Statistics show most people after college find a mate in the work place or through contact with customers and vendors in the work place, not by hanging out in the trendy area. I've been to many weddings of co-workers who found a mate in the company. All have been long marriages.
Statistics do not show that. In fact, many companies discourage this and have actual policies that forbid it.
I don’t think you have a good handle on how most single young women go about finding potential life partners.

https://www.bustle.com/p/how-do-most...-finds-3344742

Old 08-22-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Statistics do not show that. In fact, many companies discourage this and have actual policies that forbid it.
I don’t think you have a good handle on how most single young women go about finding potential life partners.
They don't have policies against that. They have policies against someone dating a direct report. That's not the same thing.

I have gone to many weddings of where co-workers got married. This is very common and if they don't meet someone through work, they meet them through neighbors and friends in their community. They don't need to live in an urban area with lots of bars, cause no everyone is looking to marry Snookie.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:51 AM

11,983 posts, read 10,580,758 times
Quote:

No assumptions at all. If she is like most young people, she would prefer living somewhere else. If she is quirky that way, maybe she would be happiest there.

She should get an accurate picture of what the town is like and then decide whether or not she wants to be bored out of her mind.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:33 AM

7,881 posts, read 11,937,825 times
Quote:

I would simmer down with your 'people who want to have fun in their 20s are losers' mentality.

Some of the things you do in your 20s and early 30s can't be done again. You can't get that period back, because people no longer do those things.

Also. The person you are arguing with isn't exactly John Blutarsky ya know.

I'm a little familiar with their post history and look at their handle. So, you're in the minority regarding your opinions.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Some of the things you do in your 20s and early 30s can't be done again. You can't get that period back, because people no longer do those things.
Getting drunk, DUIs, taking recreational drugs. Puking their guts out in a bathroom bar. Meeting losers who still live with their parents who tell other young people lies. Yeah, we get it. Just fun times. Certainly wouldn't want to miss out on any of that enrichment seated right next to the attorney who bills his time out at $500.00 an hour and the psychiatrist who treats his friends for free. A regular Cheers. Thanks for educating us. Any young person should avoid Peapack with it's access to a higher educational attainment, established neighborhoods and wealthy families. Yup, move down to the shore to hang out with Snookie. Perhaps open a tattoo removal service and clean up.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I would simmer down with your 'people who want to have fun in their 20s are losers' mentality.

Also. The person you are arguing with isn't exactly John Blutarsky ya know.

I'm a little familiar with their post history and look at their handle. So, you're in the minority regarding your opinions.
John Blutarsky: My advice to you, is to start drinking heavily.

Otter: Better listen to him Flounder. He’s Pre Med.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Getting drunk, DUIs, taking recreational drugs. Puking their guts out in a bathroom bar. Meeting losers who still live with their parents who tell other young people lies. Yeah, we get it. Just fun times. Certainly wouldn't want to miss out on any of that enrichment seated right next to the attorney who bills his time out at $500.00 an hour and the psychiatrist who treats his friends for free. A regular Cheers. Thanks for educating us. Any young person should avoid Peapack with it's access to a higher educational attainment, established neighborhoods and wealthy families. Yup, move down to the shore to hang out with Snookie. Perhaps open a tattoo removal service and clean up.
LOL. You don't really think it is black and white like that, do you? I spent my 20s and early 30s studying. I still managed to have a little bit of a life on the side. And it didn’t involve “DUIs, taking recreational drugs. Puking their guts out in a bathroom bar. Meeting losers who still live with their parents who tell other young people lies.“.

Your subjective experience somehow leads you to believe that you either have to be a party animal, or a homebody. That is just not the reality for most people.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 08-23-2019 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-23-2019, 12:14 PM

898 posts, read 611,331 times
Quote:
As previously mentioned (and cited) most meet through online dating. It’s tough to attract potential dates when you live or work in an area not populated by your own demographic. I know this by talking to many many single people who are actively looking. I would advice my daughter not to live in a place so bereft of other young people if an active social life was a priority. If she was more of a solitary gal or someone who gets along great with people who are 20 years older then it would be just fine. Earning 40k a year, she’s not joining the country club and going out to dinner with her neighbors (but she could earn a good second income babysitting on the weekends). As others have said, it all depends on her personality.
And almost every 20 something earning big bucks in nyc goes to bars. Most high tech, Wall Street and media companies have plenty of office happy hour get together for team building and socializing.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:29 PM

2,133 posts, read 4,062,221 times
Quote:
Making assumptions? Are you not also making assumptions? You are assuming this girl is trying to find a husband. At 22. What are you...this girl's matchmaker? The only person I know who was husband hunting at 22 is a random cousin out in Utah who is Mormon. Everyone else I know was, at age 22, looking to start their professional/vocational journeys/post grad studies. And meet new people and have some kind of social life. That will be an exercise in futility, in Peapack, for a 22 year-old, on a $40,000 salary.

There's, what...one apartment complex in Peapack? If that 1 choice happens to meet her requirements/taste...great she found a place to live. The point is, she'll have a whole menu of choices elsewhere, as opposed to being limited in her viable options in Peapack, where, in addition to the limited housing choices for $40K-per-year/student loan debtors, she'll have a hard time finding a roommate in her peer group, since the majority of people in her peer group do not want to live in a place like Peapack. Even if she has no interest in nightlife, she is probably going to want to live in a place where she'll run into a lot of people her age at Starbucks, Whole Foods, the gym, the yoga studio, the houses of worship, public transportation, the parks, the trails, and on the sidewalks of the charming walkable downtown.

No one's denying that Peapack-Gladstone is a great place to live. One of the most beautiful places in NJ, in my opinion. But it's just not where 22 year-olds move, right out of college, anymore than they would to a place like Short Hills, or Chatham, or Saddle River. That's reality, and I'm pretty sure the residents there aren't too heart broken about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey