U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 09:41 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,000,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Since when is an income of 150K considered rich in the NYC/North Jersey area??

Our immigration laws are a mess. Cumbersome, time-consuming and expensive. Who wants to wait 15-20 years to get in? No consequences for those that break the laws either.

We need a point system, like Canada or Australia. You let people in based on current or projected demand for their skills, be they a day-laborer or a doctor. It’s that simple.
I chuckled when I read that also. Our family income is right at that level and we certainly don’t feel rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 09:59 AM

11,983 posts, read 10,580,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I chuckled when I read that also. Our family income is right at that level and we certainly don’t feel rich.
I agree. Not rich by any means, but that was their starting point, not their average.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:28 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,018,167 times
My question would be if the top 1% pay 46% of the income taxes, do they also earn 46% of the money? If so that would be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
No. This is a new problem. NYS revenue was down 2.3 Billion from last year, which Como said was “As serious as a heart attack.”

He went on to say:

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...ch-high-taxes/

Old 08-20-2019, 10:34 AM

We are at about 2/3 of that level, and we feel rich enough. In fact we save about 15% of our income. And we have everything we want or need. I guess rich is just subjective until you don't have an adequate income to provide food and shelter and transportation.
Quote:

Old 08-20-2019, 11:33 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,000,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
We are at about 2/3 of that level, and we feel rich enough. In fact we save about 15% of our income. And we have everything we want or need. I guess rich is just subjective until you don't have an adequate income to provide food and shelter and transportation.

Yes, you’re right. It’s definitely subjective. I think what stage you’re at in life matters, too. I’m 35 and have 2 kids in day care. I have student loans that I just now paid off and my wife still has a way to go on hers . We’re also saving to buy a home. I definitely have everything I need and indulge in my fair share of wants from time to time, but I give a lot more thought to the cost of things than I imagine a truly rich person would. That’s a lot different than a retired couple at the same income (or even 2/3 of the income) with no dependents and a paid off home.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:59 AM

Well, you are on the right track. Bought our first home at 38. I was still paying off student loans, but relatively small ones. We had 3 kids and didn't see financial daylight until I was in my mid 50's. Was well worth it though. Like they say, it's the journey that counts, although the destination is important as well.
Quote:
Yes, you’re right. It’s definitely subjective. I think what stage you’re at in life matters, too. I’m 35 and have 2 kids in day care. I have student loans that I just now paid off and my wife still has a way to go on hers . We’re also saving to buy a home. I definitely have everything I need and indulge in my fair share of wants from time to time, but I give a lot more thought to the cost of things than I imagine a truly rich person would. That’s a lot different than a retired couple at the same income (or even 2/3 of the income) with no dependents and a paid off home.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:02 PM

17,491 posts, read 12,198,741 times
quid prop quo by democrats.

2ndry edu is a big business dems do their best to protect and feed taxpayer cash evry time 'colleges' raise tuition.

Never ever is edu included in the outrage against big business.

Colleges in return, indoctrinate students into liberalism to format them as democrat party voters.

Never ever once have democrats address the cost of education, the source of economic ruin for so many.

To provide 3.8 mill to illegals spits in the face of NJ voters, who apparently enjoy being spit upon.

Democrats meanwhile maintain a crop of inner city problems they can harvest and use to support their political narratives...at the expense of those people's lives and taxpayer wallets.

Baiting illegal aliens to NJ should be discouraged.

NJ needs, not just a gov from a different party, NJ needs legislative support. It does practically no good to have a repub guv and majority dem legislators who stand opposed.

Being a NJ taxpayer is almost like being captured by pirates, forced to row while in chains, and then discuss which of the vicious whip wielding overseers is more kind. Long past time to remove the reins of government from democrat party hands.

Then again, NJ's idea of public education is so in need of total restructuring, that our 19th century edu legacy is hardly worth giving away. Perhaps an illegal alien with file suit against NJ substandard schools and edu policy.

That might be the silver lining to the travesty that we now bear as residents of NJ.

FREE NJ TEACHERS !!!!!

Old 08-20-2019, 02:25 PM

134 posts, read 72,288 times
I'd say let's bring to the U.S. all the refugees, immigrants, and even those that don't want to come here at all. That way, we can all eat s-h-i-t together and look at each other like a big happy family.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:55 PM

There is a major fallacy in the way many people look at this. The truth is that if every illegal immigrant was deported tomorrow, and our borders were 100% secure, no one would have a better life, a better job, pay less taxes. How do I know? Because taxes never go down, they only go up. If it wasn' t being spent on illegal immigrants our tax dollars would be buying more submarines or aircraft carriers. That is just how the system works. The lobbyists for corporations that make these things get their friends elected to congress where the tax laws and the spending is engineered to benefit those corporations, not the people who voted for them.

Back in 1965, when the Verazzano bridge was built to connect Brooklyn to Staten Island and create a shortcut to NJ, the fare was 75 cents and it was announced the fare would be free after the bridge construction costs were paid off in 6 years. Almost 55 years later, the fare is $17 or $19 if you don't have an EZ-Pass. We also pay for TV and water, which used to be free. They will always find a way to take most of our money.

All this political BS is just a smokescreen designed to cover up the reality of who actually runs the country, who actually benefits the most, and to get people to watch the news and buy the products and the world view being advertised, once again for the benefit of those who own the stations and their advertisers.

It's all fake news, fake history and fake politics. None of it is any more true than a professional wrestling match, or a soap opera. Unfortunately people are pawns in this game, people being deported, imprisoned, killed in wars on all sides, people being poisoned by pollution in their water, people falsely imprisoned, left homeless and jobless.

But forget all that and concentrate on some aid to undocumented kids, less money than a lobbyist firm gets to influence a congressman to vote the lobbyist's interest rather than the interests of those who voted him in office. And of course, that is legal.

Last edited by bobspez; 08-20-2019 at 03:07 PM..

Old 08-20-2019, 04:56 PM

13,786 posts, read 9,287,919 times
Most illegals I know rather stay illegal. Cash jobs like construction pays better than some office jobs and six figure salary and still get subsidized healthcare.

Any more Democrat candidates talk of illegals getting free stuff will help Trump get reelected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or