U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 05:43 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,001,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most illegals I know rather stay illegal. Cash jobs like construction pays better than some office jobs and six figure salary and still get subsidized healthcare.

Any more Democrat candidates talk of illegals getting free stuff will help Trump get reelected.
Stop it. You don’t know any illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 06:06 AM

2,080 posts, read 540,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Looks like Dems care more about illegals than US NJ citizens.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

More than 700 undocumented students received more than $3.8 million in college financial aid for the first year during which New Jersey made the aid available to those without legal status.

The figures, provided by the state Higher Education Assistance Authority, show that 749 students in total received the aid during both the fall and spring semesters of the 2018-19 school year. Most of the aid, more than $3.5 million, was awarded under the New Jersey Tuition Aid Grant, or TAG program.

https://www.app.com/story/news/new-j...ts/2049343001/
$3.8 million to actually help real people, that's what you are concerned about. But if they want to build a sports stadium you can't wait to open your wallets. $3.8 million is so little money, there are many homes in NJ you couldn't afford to buy with it.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:15 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,580,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
$3.8 million to actually help real people, that's what you are concerned about. But if they want to build a sports stadium you can't wait to open your wallets. $3.8 million is so little money, there are many homes in NJ you couldn't afford to buy with it.
Not speaking for that that poster. For me, it is not so much the $3.8 Million. It is more the policy that will attract more illegals. The more you normalize them in your state, the more they will choose your state over another state that is far less friendly. And since they mostly are tax net-recipients instead of net-contributors, it means the state will further go into debt and eventually need to raise taxes to support them.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:43 AM

134 posts, read 72,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Not speaking for that that poster. For me, it is not so much the $3.8 Million. It is more the policy that will attract more illegals. The more you normalize them in your state, the more they will choose your state over another state that is far less friendly. And since they mostly are tax net-recipients instead of net-contributors, it means the state will further go into debt and eventually need to raise taxes to support them.
Never mind that this money could have..should have gone to actual American citizens in need which there are many; regardless of the immateriality of it. In addition, the U.S. is sending billions of dollars in foreign aid to Central and South American countries; so that at the end you continue to spend money when they get here anyways. To your point, the normalization of things will create more direct and indirect spending from Federal, State, and private coffers. And last but not least, the remittances from immigrants sending money to their families is a rather large number. The idea that one country can hold the needs of many is insane and Liberals and/or Democrats have a hard time wrapping their minds around this basic concept.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:46 AM

15,726 posts, read 5,629,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
You are 100% correct. I'm happy to see your taxes spent on educational assistance for illegals. I'm also happy that part of my RE taxes support public schools.

Here's a recap of the pertinent law "Like other children in New Jersey, undocumented students are required to attend school from age 6 to 16. Public schools cannot deny free admission to students because of their immigrant status." Hooray to that as well.
I agree with you but you do realize that it's the silent majority here and the loudest minority on these boards.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:40 AM

13,795 posts, read 9,291,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Stop it. You don’t know any illegals.
Yes I do, I hired many to work on my home remodeling and they do better than many of us. I'm paying $1500/month for a damn Bronze insurance with a $4k deductible.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:48 AM

8,794 posts, read 12,744,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
How about the 3.8 million to help real US NJ Citizens and not illegals?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:36 PM

7,346 posts, read 14,390,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
How about the 3.8 million to help real US NJ Citizens and not illegals?
I see nobody has addressed my post again. If undocumented immigrants are already in NJ, why would you not at least invest in them early on? If you keep them poor and uneducated, they'll be more likely to rely on social services. They can't receive any form of welfare, but their kids can. Wouldn't you like someone who was dragged here as an infant to be able to attend college and earn a higher income and be able to support their own family with their own money rather than keeping them poor and uneducated and having their kids fed and clothes and housed using your tax dollars for the rest of their lives? $5k per person is a very small investment in someone's future and you guys all want them to receive no social services right? What better way than to rise them up out of poverty and under-education?

Old 08-21-2019, 04:38 PM

1,169 posts, read 848,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I see nobody has addressed my post again. If undocumented immigrants are already in NJ, why would you not at least invest in them early on? If you keep them poor and uneducated, they'll be more likely to rely on social services. They can't receive any form of welfare, but their kids can. Wouldn't you like someone who was dragged here as an infant to be able to attend college and earn a higher income and be able to support their own family with their own money rather than keeping them poor and uneducated and having their kids fed and clothes and housed using your tax dollars for the rest of their lives? $5k per person is a very small investment in someone's future and you guys all want them to receive no social services right? What better way than to rise them up out of poverty and under-education?
ABSOLUTELY NOT. You are taking away aid from AMERICAN CITIZENS paid for by AMERICAN CITIZENS, who's children deserve it. These people do not belong in this country and need/will be deported, also they do not belong on any welfare.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:13 PM

22,705 posts, read 17,533,735 times
These are the Dreamers and other kids who have already been here. To qualify they need to have graduated from a NJ high school, and attain a certain GPA. They’ve been living here, they’ve been working hard, I’d rather see them educated and contributing then on public assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or