U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 08:15 PM

26,155 posts, read 24,918,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If you cheat getting into college, you can go to jail.

If you cheat getting into America, you can go to college.
I can't give you a point for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 09:58 PM

8,727 posts, read 7,928,495 times
Quote:

Sad truth.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:04 PM

8,727 posts, read 7,928,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s not like the money would go to American kids if it wasn’t going to these kids. It would go to some pork project or something else. They’re not taking anything away from American kids. It’s not like there was this pot of money budgeted for scholarships, and they decided to give some of it to these kids. It was an additional sum they decided to provide, to the sum that is already available for American kids. If they don’t give it to the dreamers it won’t go to American born kids either. And again, they have to earn it. Many of these kids have never set foot in Mexico and have live their entire lives in New Jersey and gone through the New Jersey public school system. It is counterproductive not to want them not to be as highly educated and contributing as much as possible.
Do you think those depending on their state pensions would rather the $3.8 million go in to the pension fund or spent on illegals going to college?

Last edited by Informed Info; 08-26-2019 at 10:28 PM..

Old 08-27-2019, 06:32 AM

22,700 posts, read 17,533,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Do you think those depending on their state pensions would rather the $3.8 million go in to the pension fund or spent on illegals going to college?
It’s not coming out of s pension fund.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:43 AM

11,983 posts, read 10,580,758 times
Quote:
It’s not coming out of s pension fund.
It is coming out of the extra tax money that NJ has just lying around and doesn’t know what to do with?

Word of the day: Fungible

fun·gi·ble
/ˈfənjəbəl/
adjective
(of goods contracted for without an individual specimen being specified) able to replace or be replaced by another identical item; mutually interchangeable.

As in the phrase “Money is fungible.”

And nowhere in the world is money more fungible, than the NJ state government.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I can't give you a point for this.
It’s the thought that counts.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:32 AM

7,339 posts, read 14,390,647 times
Quote:

Again, these infants did not choose to be brought to the US. A student chooses to cheat on an exam or lie on an application. Different stories.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:13 PM

22,700 posts, read 17,533,735 times
Quote:
It is coming out of the extra tax money that NJ has just lying around and doesn’t know what to do with?

Word of the day: Fungible

fun·gi·ble
/ˈfənjəbəl/
adjective
(of goods contracted for without an individual specimen being specified) able to replace or be replaced by another identical item; mutually interchangeable.

As in the phrase “Money is fungible.”

And nowhere in the world is money more fungible, than the NJ state government.
I happen to think it’s a worthwhile investment. I can’t get on board with sending an 18 year old who has never known a life outside this country to a foreign country he/she knows nothing about and might not even speak the language. Regardless of what parents did, she/he is innocent. These kids have gone through 12 years of school here and earned the high GPA required to be eligible for this money. Give them a path to citizenship and educate them as much as possible so they can continue to be contributing members of society.
I’m sorry I just don’t share your feelings and don’t think this 3.5 million is going to break the bank.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:00 PM

58,549 posts, read 56,464,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
There is a major fallacy in the way many people look at this. The truth is that if every illegal immigrant was deported tomorrow, and our borders were 100% secure, no one would have a better life, a better job, pay less taxes. How do I know? Because taxes never go down, they only go up. If it wasn' t being spent on illegal immigrants our tax dollars would be buying more submarines or aircraft carriers. That is just how the system works. The lobbyists for corporations that make these things get their friends elected to congress where the tax laws and the spending is engineered to benefit those corporations, not the people who voted for them.

Back in 1965, when the Verazzano bridge was built to connect Brooklyn to Staten Island and create a shortcut to NJ, the fare was 75 cents and it was announced the fare would be free after the bridge construction costs were paid off in 6 years. Almost 55 years later, the fare is $17 or $19 if you don't have an EZ-Pass. We also pay for TV and water, which used to be free. They will always find a way to take most of our money.

All this political BS is just a smokescreen designed to cover up the reality of who actually runs the country, who actually benefits the most, and to get people to watch the news and buy the products and the world view being advertised, once again for the benefit of those who own the stations and their advertisers.

It's all fake news, fake history and fake politics. None of it is any more true than a professional wrestling match, or a soap opera. Unfortunately people are pawns in this game, people being deported, imprisoned, killed in wars on all sides, people being poisoned by pollution in their water, people falsely imprisoned, left homeless and jobless.

But forget all that and concentrate on some aid to undocumented kids, less money than a lobbyist firm gets to influence a congressman to vote the lobbyist's interest rather than the interests of those who voted him in office. And of course, that is legal.
I don't believe that. The same thing was supposedly said about the GWB, the Goethals, the Garden State Parkway, and on and on and on wherever there is a tolled facility. It's like a weird urban legend about tolls that keeps popping up.

How were they going to keep the Verrazzano maintained? I realize not everyone is on top of public sector construction, but it costs megabucks to keep a bridge or road safely maintained and secure and up to date. You don't just build something like the VZN that is exposed to the merciless beating by traffic and the elements and skip away merrily into a world of butterflies and unicorns where nothing ever has to be kept in a state of good repair or upgraded.

Now the fact that the toll is that high is a pain in the ass for sure on the people who use it, but it's not like the Verrazzano's tolls go for JUST the Verrazzano any more than the PA's bridge and tunnel revenue go just for the bridges and tunnels. The revenue is to show public bond buyers for the upcoming projects that their investment is secure and that they will earn the promised return, as well as for facility maintenance.

Since 9/11 all such facilities have had great deals of money spent to "harden" their vulnerabilities against attacks. Where was that money going to come from? The anti-terrorism fairy? If there was a weakness in, say, the suspension cables and nothing was done to harden it and then terrorists exploited that weakness with explosives while you were driving over the bridge and you found yourself spiraling toward the water 200 feet below, you'd be the first one whining and crying over why no one fixed this, except that you'd be too dead to complain.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I happen to think it’s a worthwhile investment. I can’t get on board with sending an 18 year old who has never known a life outside this country to a foreign country he/she knows nothing about and might not even speak the language. Regardless of what parents did, she/he is innocent. These kids have gone through 12 years of school here and earned the high GPA required to be eligible for this money. Give them a path to citizenship and educate them as much as possible so they can continue to be contributing members of society.
I’m sorry I just don’t share your feelings and don’t think this 3.5 million is going to break the bank.
A girl in my daughter’s 5th grade class had to move to Paris because of her dad’s job. I think she will be fine. Kids learn languages quickly when they are submerged in it.

Hey, and what about all those kids who these “refugees” (wink wink) are bringing over here. They have gone through school in another country. Many of them don't speak English. The humanitarian thing to do, would be to send them back to their natural habitat. After all, it would be cruel to subject them to a new country and new language after growing up somewhere else. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or