U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2019, 09:14 PM
 
623 posts, read 606,310 times
Reputation: 403

Advertisements

Did someone say Atlantic City would be a better location than Newark? I see the genius making the comment is from nowhereville NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2019, 10:18 PM
 
6,916 posts, read 6,755,024 times
Reputation: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
They should call it the YouTube video music awards.
What I am thinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 08:45 PM
 
1,337 posts, read 1,582,451 times
Reputation: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I'm definitely not going. This has to be one of the dumbest decisions MTV has ever made. There are plenty of other places they could've chosen. Even Atlantic City would've been a better choice for the VMA awards. The only thing that will come out of this is a dramatic increase in crime for the city of Newark. I can definitely see a lot of car theft and robberies on naive tourists that don't know much about Newark. If anyone actually thinks the cops are going to stop all the crime you just might be a fool.

The slogan for the VMA's in Newark should be "Get out of town by sundown!"


Also don't get me started on all the Thotianas that are going to be fighting each other on the streets to see who will be the top groupie for on of these degenerate celebrities. It will be an absolute mess in Newark.
lol let me guess.

When is the last time you've been to Newark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2019, 02:18 AM
 
Location: Quincy, Mass. (near Boston)
2,231 posts, read 3,772,183 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Newark downtown is quite empty after 6pm.
Well, the Devils play 41 home games plus preseason games, mostly at night. Plus college basketball and concerts. Imagine how sleepy it was before the arena was built.

Plus, a new park just opened across from the arena.

The area around Prudential seems to be improving from what I've read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2019, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,493 posts, read 10,665,296 times
Reputation: 5421
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
lol let me guess.

When is the last time you've been to Newark?
When was the last time you walked through the magnificent west side of Newark at night?

I'm sure there will be no shortage of local residents who will show you what "Newark hospitality" is famous for.


Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 08-28-2019 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2019, 02:15 PM
 
1,337 posts, read 1,582,451 times
Reputation: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
When was the last time you walked through the magnificent west side of Newark at night?

I'm sure there will be no shortage of local residents who will show you what "Newark hospitality" is famous for.
lol

You're from Philly and no offense, there's good and bad sections in Philly just like Newark, NYC, even London.

Taking a jab at the West Ward and saying people shouldn't go to the Prudential Center is like me saying don't go to the Liberty Bell because much of North Philly is a slum.

Downtown Newark is up and coming btw, you should go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 06:42 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,491 posts, read 12,198,741 times
Reputation: 11324
up and coming! for how many decades has it been up and coming?
Surely during corey booker's admin, newrak had reached its glory, otherwise why would CB have been elected senator???


still up and coming


well a visitor to Newark might not know the areas that are safe vs the areas not safe, in the 26 sq mile city. To celebrate that any city has a safe area is to admit the city is too dangerous to visit. Ft Ticonderoga was a safe place, just had to fight your way in thorough the wilderness and hostiles.


2018


'In New Jersey, the two cities that were given the designation include Camden and Newark. Camden came in second, making it the nation's worst "murder capital" behind only East St. Louis, Ill. and Chester pa, like Camden, is in the Philadelphia suburban area, and the two towns are only 20 miles apart.'


Murder Capitals Of America: 2 New Jersey Cities On List
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Northern NJ/Amagansett, NY
11,983 posts, read 10,580,758 times
Reputation: 8366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
up and coming! for how many decades has it been up and coming?
Surely during corey booker's admin, newrak had reached its glory, otherwise why would CB have been elected senator???


still up and coming


well a visitor to Newark might not know the areas that are safe vs the areas not safe, in the 26 sq mile city. To celebrate that any city has a safe area is to admit the city is too dangerous to visit. Ft Ticonderoga was a safe place, just had to fight your way in thorough the wilderness and hostiles.


2018


'In New Jersey, the two cities that were given the designation include Camden and Newark. Camden came in second, making it the nation's worst "murder capital" behind only East St. Louis, Ill. and Chester pa, like Camden, is in the Philadelphia suburban area, and the two towns are only 20 miles apart.'


Murder Capitals Of America: 2 New Jersey Cities On List
We are contracted with a surgery center in Newark, and I go there once every week or two. Have for years. I know people that go there every day for work, and have for years. None of us have had problems. Yes, there are murders there, but as wrong as this sounds, they are very rare with people driving in from outside Newark. On the rare occasion that happens, it is big news, and there is a lot more pressure on the Newark PD to catch the criminal. The criminals know this, which is part of why it is so rare. It’s kind of like the old mafia code to leave civilians alone.

As to the Prudential Center, when there is a musical or sporting event, the area is packed with witnesses. There is no place that a crime can occur without dozens, or even hundreds of people seeing it. Plus there is a heavy police presence in that area. People are all over the place, going to the restaurants before the game/concert.

And if you are still worried, in spite of all this, just park in Lot 10. It has an entrance right into the stadium so you never even have to go outside. That is what I do, but not because I am worried. We still go out to eat before the show, but after the concert is over, it makes it a lot easier to get to the car and get out of there.

BTW, that lot fills up quickly, so reserve your spot in advance online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 09:47 AM
 
14,839 posts, read 17,900,956 times
Reputation: 19587
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
We are contracted with a surgery center in Newark, and I go there once every week or two. Have for years. I know people that go there every day for work, and have for years. None of us have had problems. Yes, there are murders there, but as wrong as this sounds, they are very rare with people driving in from outside Newark. On the rare occasion that happens, it is big news, and there is a lot more pressure on the Newark PD to catch the criminal. The criminals know this, which is part of why it is so rare. It’s kind of like the old mafia code to leave civilians alone.

As to the Prudential Center, when there is a musical or sporting event, the area is packed with witnesses. There is no place that a crime can occur without dozens, or even hundreds of people seeing it. Plus there is a heavy police presence in that area. People are all over the place, going to the restaurants before the game/concert.

And if you are still worried, in spite of all this, just park in Lot 10. It has an entrance right into the stadium so you never even have to go outside. That is what I do, but not because I am worried. We still go out to eat before the show, but after the concert is over, it makes it a lot easier to get to the car and get out of there.

BTW, that lot fills up quickly, so reserve your spot in advance online.
That is all perfectly logical, as well as factual, but you were responding to person whose credo is... When in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout... so, I doubt if anything factual will move that person away from their panicked assumptions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Northern NJ/Amagansett, NY
11,983 posts, read 10,580,758 times
Reputation: 8366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That is all perfectly logical, as well as factual, but you were responding to person whose credo is... When in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout... so, I doubt if anything factual will move that person away from their panicked assumptions.

If Newark succeeds, it is good for everybody. I am rooting for it, and always have. And in many ways, it has. Home prices have risen a lot in the safer areas, and near the train station. Nice stores and restaurants have moved in. It is just a lot slower than places like Hoboken and Jersey City because it is not right across the river. But old stereotypes are hard to break.

Where you might disagree with me, is that I think Newark needs a tough mayor with vision and the fortitude to do what needs to be done about crime, in spite of the political ramifications. I would like to see for Newark, what Giuliani did for NYC. And one day, there might be enough people in Newark that would vote for a mayor like that, but we are not there yet. Also, we are in a different era, which would make this even harder. It is slowly happening on it’s own, which is great, but that would help to speed up the process. What I think would be a great investment, is surveillance cameras. Not just in the good areas, but especially in the bad ones. Put several of them on every street. It would help identify criminals so they can be more easily apprehended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:42 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top