U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 10:32 AM

17,491 posts, read 12,198,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That is all perfectly logical, as well as factual, but you were responding to person whose credo is... When in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout... so, I doubt if anything factual will move that person away from their panicked assumptions.

as opposed to a politician who covers up problems and allows them to fester. Like a companion dog growling at the EMTs who come to help its master.

Run in circles scream and shout is the refrain heard from Newark politicians when their legacy of zero accomplishment is pointed out. Why would generations of democrat administrations in charge, do nothing to restore QOL in Newark? The rest of the state's taxpayers have run out on tolerance and patience for the eternal status quo that defenders find so satisfying.

Good to know some visitors have avoided inclusion in Newark's crime stats.

"Years of neglect, mismanagement and denials have plunged newarkinto one of the largest environmental crises in an American city in years, provoking anger, confusion and frustration among its 285,000 residents."

Last time I was in Newark the cops surrounded me with guns drawn, swearing and shouting, thought I was the terrorist who shot a state trooper.

Panicked assumptions? what the heck are you even talking about?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 05:20 PM

22,700 posts, read 17,533,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
up and coming! for how many decades has it been up and coming?
Surely during corey booker's admin, newrak had reached its glory, otherwise why would CB have been elected senator???

still up and coming

well a visitor to Newark might not know the areas that are safe vs the areas not safe, in the 26 sq mile city. To celebrate that any city has a safe area is to admit the city is too dangerous to visit. Ft Ticonderoga was a safe place, just had to fight your way in thorough the wilderness and hostiles.

'In New Jersey, the two cities that were given the designation include Camden and Newark. Camden came in second, making it the nation's worst "murder capital" behind only East St. Louis, Ill. and Chester pa, like Camden, is in the Philadelphia suburban area, and the two towns are only 20 miles apart.'

Murder Capitals Of America: 2 New Jersey Cities On List
Yet people take their kids to the aquarium in Camden everyday and attend concerts at Susquehanna bank center and somehow live to tell the tale. No one is going to wander from these areas, people know cities have bad sections. These people are going to a major arena with thousands of people, hundreds of cops probably and big media presence, I don’t think they’re risking their lives.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-31-2019 at 05:35 PM..

Old 08-31-2019, 09:48 PM

13,786 posts, read 9,287,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Well, the Devils play 41 home games plus preseason games, mostly at night. Plus college basketball and concerts. Imagine how sleepy it was before the arena was built.

Plus, a new park just opened across from the arena.

The area around Prudential seems to be improving from what I've read.
Consider some 250k people passes through Newark Penn Station every weekday. Majority of them are just passing through. That train station looks worst than many train stations in 3rd world countries. Not a very good impression. There are homeless people inside the station at all times especially the restrooms. Whenever there are Devil's games that's when people spill into the streets but without those games very few people leave the train station.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:15 AM

20,792 posts, read 35,617,574 times
Obviously the water needs to be fixed

But the transportation is a serious issue, the whole city is just buses

I've only been to Newark like once

But how much inter-city travel can one do in Newark? If you don't have a car, taking the bus everywhere must be a PITA I imagine, especially in winter. Either expand PATH subway service or expand the light rail. If neither of those 2 things happen then the city will never grow. At least in Jersey City, you can get from the "downtown" part of the city to completely different parts with the light rail by either going to the West Side, or down to the Bayonne border.

Newark Light Rail only takes you to the northern part of Newark, thats it, nothing south or west....pretty stupid if you ask me

Dont feel a way about it though

There's a very good reason why Newark is all buses

Cheap labor with the multitudes of housing projects built so close to downtown back in the days. Manufacturing leaves, no money, hence the riots. Everything else around it succumbs. In NYC we can absorb public housing in Manhattan just because of the sheer volume of people that live here

Newark was built off the cheap labor....Springfield-Belmont neighborhood needs to be looked at hard, and re-visited.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 09-01-2019 at 07:49 AM..

Old 09-01-2019, 10:43 PM

42 posts, read 28,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
When was the last time you walked through the magnificent west side of Newark at night?

I'm sure there will be no shortage of local residents who will show you what "Newark hospitality" is famous for.
Causs downtown Newark is in the western section of Newark... jesus if you are going to play up the crime aspect of Newark atleast be geographically correct about where downtown is.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:49 PM

42 posts, read 28,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Consider some 250k people passes through Newark Penn Station every weekday. Majority of them are just passing through. That train station looks worst than many train stations in 3rd world countries. Not a very good impression. There are homeless people inside the station at all times especially the restrooms. Whenever there are Devil's games that's when people spill into the streets but without those games very few people leave the train station.
You do realize that NJ Transit, not the city, actually owns the stations right... if you have an issue with it, raise it up with them the city cant don much about it.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:36 PM

2,817 posts, read 5,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Obviously the water needs to be fixed

But the transportation is a serious issue, the whole city is just buses

I've only been to Newark like once

But how much inter-city travel can one do in Newark? If you don't have a car, taking the bus everywhere must be a PITA I imagine, especially in winter. Either expand PATH subway service or expand the light rail. If neither of those 2 things happen then the city will never grow. At least in Jersey City, you can get from the "downtown" part of the city to completely different parts with the light rail by either going to the West Side, or down to the Bayonne border.

Newark Light Rail only takes you to the northern part of Newark, thats it, nothing south or west....pretty stupid if you ask me

Dont feel a way about it though

There's a very good reason why Newark is all buses

Cheap labor with the multitudes of housing projects built so close to downtown back in the days. Manufacturing leaves, no money, hence the riots. Everything else around it succumbs. In NYC we can absorb public housing in Manhattan just because of the sheer volume of people that live here

Newark was built off the cheap labor....Springfield-Belmont neighborhood needs to be looked at hard, and re-visited.
There's plans for the PATH to be extended from Newark Penn to the airport with a stop in the South ward. Points south and west aren't as dense as Ironbound (and could probably get away with buses for now), unlike the Ironbound which IMO could use more rail.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:41 PM

20,792 posts, read 35,617,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
There's plans for the PATH to be extended from Newark Penn to the airport with a stop in the South ward. Points south and west aren't as dense as Ironbound (and could probably get away with buses for now), unlike the Ironbound which IMO could use more rail.
I've see the plans for the South Ward, Weequahic will be finished when it opens, those big homes will get renovated and it will resemble Forest Hill

As far as west, I would like to see plans for something extending down Springfield Avenue

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-06-2019, 11:09 AM

2,817 posts, read 5,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I've see the plans for the South Ward, Weequahic will be finished when it opens, those big homes will get renovated and it will resemble Forest Hill

As far as west, I would like to see plans for something extending down Springfield Avenue
That would be a great addition. For Weequahic, you can still see the good housing stock of yesteryear and yes it definitely has potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or