U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 660 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to move to Central NJ in the next 2 years. He works in the city near Grand Central, so we are looking for towns that don’t have a completely brutal commute for him. The 2 towns we are considering as of now are East Brunswick and Old Bridge. I’m fairly familiar with the Jewish population in East Brunswick, but am wondering what Old Bridge is like. Particularly the Reform-Conservative population. I know the school district has both days of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur off but that’s all I know. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 12:55 PM

2,795 posts, read 927,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nschlem View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are looking to move to Central NJ in the next 2 years. He works in the city near Grand Central, so we are looking for towns that don’t have a completely brutal commute for him. The 2 towns we are considering as of now are East Brunswick and Old Bridge. I’m fairly familiar with the Jewish population in East Brunswick, but am wondering what Old Bridge is like. Particularly the Reform-Conservative population. I know the school district has both days of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur off but that’s all I know. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Are you Reform or Conservative? I always go to URJ.org when I need info about temples. But I would contact a few near where you're looking and they might be able to steer you in the right direction. Not sure what the Conservative equivalent of that is.

You could also check out Federation websites. This one is actually headquartered close to where you are looking.

www.jewishheartnj.org

Unfortunately, the JCCs are pretty spread out, but if you do a search for jewish community centers on a Google map, you'll get some results.

Most public school districts close for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur nowadays if they fall during the week.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 660 times
Hi,

That is a good idea to reach out to local temples and see if they have information about how many Jews are in Old Bridge. Also, not every district has off both days of Rosh Hashanah. I am a teacher and both my current district and my previous district do not have off both days, just the first.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:40 PM

2,795 posts, read 927,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nschlem View Post
Hi,

That is a good idea to reach out to local temples and see if they have information about how many Jews are in Old Bridge. Also, not every district has off both days of Rosh Hashanah. I am a teacher and both my current district and my previous district do not have off both days, just the first.
I meant one day each for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur .

Old 08-28-2019, 10:49 AM

58,549 posts, read 56,464,631 times
Yeah, having the Jewish holidays off says nothing about the population. My daughter got them off in our former Bergen County town, and you could count the number of Jewish families in town on one hand. Faculty was different. Her wonderful band and chorus teachers were both Jewish, and probably a few others, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or