Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 07:56 PM

12 posts, read 15,238 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I apologize in advance if this is a very naive question. We are first time home buyers starting to look at homes in the Summit/Livingston/Chatham/Madison/South Orange/Maplewood etc area.

My question is regarding property taxes. How accurate are the estimates of property taxes on Zillow? Do these towns/counties re-assess the tax amount when you buy the property and adjust the taxes to reflect the purchase price? Sometimes I see homes for sale on Zillow with a tax assessed value of something small like $300k when the home is listed for $700k. Are the taxes based on the $300k? Or will they be increased if we purchase the home for $700k?

Here's a random example in Summit: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...40068203_zpid/
Zillow says the list price is $669k and the Tax Assessed Value is 249,500. The tax in 2020 was ~10k. It seems the home has only sold for ~240k back in 1994. Is it reasonable to expect our taxes if we bought this home would be approximately the same?

If these estimates are not accurate, what's the best way to get a sense of the property taxes? ~3% x listing price?

Also - is there a difference for new construction? I imagine the tax history was either referring to the empty lot of whatever was torn down prior to the build?

Any other advice or info about taxes related to these towns is welcome!

Thanks in advance for your help understanding how this works!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 08:52 PM

84 posts, read 199,112 times
Tax records show the amount of real estate taxes for any NJ property here:

NJ Assessment Records Search

Old 12-30-2020, 06:15 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Properties are assessed periodically by the town and assigned a value. The town sets a property tax rate which usually combines a municipal tax, fire tax, and school tax. That percentage is then multiplied by the assessed value. You can contact the town to find out the current tax percentage. Also, ask them when they last assessed. If the just made assessments, your numbers should be good for a few years. If it has been a while, you could be in for a new assessment and possible sticker shock after buying.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 12-30-2020, 08:14 AM

860 posts, read 1,337,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Properties are assessed periodically by the town and assigned a value. The town sets a property tax rate which usually combines a municipal tax, fire tax, and school tax. That percentage is then multiplied by the assessed value. You can contact the town to find out the current tax percentage. Also, ask them when they last assessed. If the just made assessments, your numbers should be good for a few years. If it has been a while, you could be in for a new assessment and possible sticker shock after buying.
Agreed - this is especially true with flipped houses. Flippers might buy an old rundown cheap house with low taxes then either renovate or demolish and build new. Then when it’s listed for sale, the taxes are the old taxes and will skyrocket with the next assessment. In those cases, look at taxes for similar homes to get a sense of what you might be paying soon after buying.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:21 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
House assessments change when you make improvements. This is triggered by permits. A kitchen redo, adding a bath, finishing a basement and installing an in
ground pool will mean a higher property tax bill.
If the seller made improvements before putting it on the market, the new taxes may not yet be in the system.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:05 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
House assessments change when you make improvements. This is triggered by permits. A kitchen redo, adding a bath, finishing a basement and installing an in
ground pool will mean a higher property tax bill.
If the seller made improvements before putting it on the market, the new taxes may not yet be in the system.
I was just reading about this, because we were considering putting up a large shed and I wanted to see if it would raise our property taxes. The article I was reading said even putting in a beautiful garden could increase your property taxes! I had thought it was only things that required permits or were permanent improvements but apparently not?

Old 12-30-2020, 02:00 PM

12 posts, read 15,238 times
Thanks everyone, this is very helpful.

I found another house which is assessed for about 70k higher than the home is currently listed for. I don't suppose buying it at the list price would reduce the tax bill right? Since the assessment is independent from what the home is selling for?

I understand now why everyone complains about the taxes in NJ. The mortgages are doable especially with the low interest rates but 1-2k taxes per month is tough.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:30 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The article I was reading said even putting in a beautiful garden could increase your property taxes! I had thought it was only things that required permits or were permanent improvements but apparently not?
There is a lot of misinformation out there, and I believe that this factoid falls into that category.
I have progressively added to my backyard gardens over the years, and nobody from the Assessor's office has ever looked back there.

In the 24 years that I have lived in my house, there have been two visits from the Assessor's office. The first one consisted of an extremely quick glance at the first and second floors, and the second one consisted of vaguely looking around from the entry foyer, without venturing more than 4 or 5 feet into my home. I even asked this woman if she needed to see the basement, and she replied that she did not. I have never heard of anyone from an Assessor's office going into--or even looking-at--someone's back yard.

Last edited by Retriever; 12-30-2020 at 02:46 PM..

Old 12-30-2020, 02:35 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,133 times
Towns in NJ are not allowed to raise or lower property taxes based on a recent sale. As mentioned, they can raise property taxes based on improvements (which are sometimes hard to define). If you think the taxes are too high, you must file an appeal. When you look at the property taxes of your neighbors, you will find unexplained differences. Sometimes there is no way to figure out the differences. It is a very opaque process.

Here is the rough breakdown of property taxes:
60%- 70% local k-12 school system
20%- 30% local town operation - police, roads, sometimes garbage, town maint, code enforcement, rec programs, etc
10%- 15% county taxes - courts, jail, county police, county roads, parks

Old 12-30-2020, 07:59 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
NJ has never lowered the property according to my town tax assessor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey