U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 05:12 AM

4 posts, read 969 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving from UK and be working out of Montvale, NJ (Bergen County). I'm looking for help for find city/town in PA close to Montvale, about an 1 hrs drive works. Town with good school will certainly help for my 13 year old. Want to establish residency in PA and hence the effort.

I could find Milford and Stroudsburg so far but not sure if it is the right choice.

Thanks for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 06:39 AM

13,293 posts, read 21,214,154 times
There isn't one.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:39 AM

58,513 posts, read 56,441,297 times
There is no such thing.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:49 AM

14,835 posts, read 17,897,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahNeel View Post
I'm looking for help for find city/town in PA close to Montvale, about an 1 hrs drive works. Town with good school will certainly help
Do you also want a walk-able downtown?

Old 08-30-2019, 07:51 AM

4,359 posts, read 9,510,863 times
Quote:
Hello,

I could find Milford and Stroudsburg so far but not sure if it is the right choice.

Thanks for your help.
Both of these towns are about a 90 minute drive from Montvale with no traffic. Add in delays from typical rush hour traffic and you are looking at 2+ hours each way. I would also add that northeast PA is not known for good schools. Why do you want residency in PA? You would be better off looking for somewhere to live in Rockland County, NY.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:39 AM

14,835 posts, read 17,897,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Both of these towns are about a 90 minute drive from Montvale with no traffic. Add in delays from typical rush hour traffic and you are looking at 2+ hours each way. I would also add that northeast PA is not known for good schools.
+1, on all counts.
Perhaps the OP has made the mistake of merely looking at a map, and saying... Oh, that isn't very far... or something to that effect.
In addition to the actual miles, there is the reality of extremely heavy traffic in the most densely-populated state in The US. Then, in addition to traffic that normally moves slowly just because of volume, you have traffic daily accidents that further complicate the drive. This is just this morning's event, but something similar happens every day on I-80:

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/08/i-80...en-county.html

And, then there is also the reality that heavy rain can add a lot of time to one's commute, and when it snows during that Montvale to PA drive... Abandon all hope of getting home from work before 10 PM.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:05 AM
46H

1,057 posts, read 639,621 times
Quote:
Hello,

I will be moving from UK and be working out of Montvale, NJ (Bergen County). I'm looking for help for find city/town in PA close to Montvale, about an 1 hrs drive works. Town with good school will certainly help for my 13 year old. Want to establish residency in PA and hence the effort.

Thanks for your help.

Why do you want to "establish residency" in PA? The day you move to any US state you are a resident.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 969 times
Thanks for the quick responses. The reason I was looking for a residency in PA is bcoz my son took college in PA and can go for instate fees vs out of state which is significant.

@retriever, You are right I just looked at the map and identified couple of towns, not aware of the actual situation. Thanks your sharing that.

Looks like I might have to settle down close to Montvale. Any suggestions on town/city which would be low pocket and good on school standard.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:40 PM

12,800 posts, read 10,846,959 times
So you have a 13 year old and a son who is in college in Pennsylvania? Is there any chance your son in college can establish residency in PA himself for in-state tuition and you can live in NJ or NY close to your job? As others have said, I would not recommend a commute between Bergen County, NJ and any part of PA, it’s longer than you think. NYC area traffic is intense and this is a very dense area, at rush hour sometimes driving even 10 miles can take double or triple the amount of time it should.

Since you didn’t give much detail about your son (which is fine) and we don’t know what your and his situation is, is there any chance he can go to a state college in NJ? It’s not uncommon for college students to transfer schools in the US, especially if money is an issue.

I don’t know much about Bergen County so I can’t recommend a good town, plus we don’t know your budget which can also really impact your options.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:13 AM

15,126 posts, read 14,077,323 times
As others have suggested, commuting from PA is highly inadvisable. You will regret it.

What is your budget? You are better off looking somewhere in Northern NJ or perhaps Rockland or Orange counties in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or