U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 10:51 AM

184 posts, read 130,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well...I wouldn't exactly call NJ's cold "brutal". It rarely goes below the 20s, and only for a few days. I think more of a problem is that once it snows, it looks beautiful for one day and then it turns to ugly gray slush once the exhaust fumes gets mixed in along the roads.

But then, last year we only had one or two snowfalls the entire winter.
Compared to Colorado, with its dry climate, the winter cold of NJ is brutal IMO. (Not as bad as Minnesota, the Dakotas, tho!) The difference is pretty dramatic, if you've not experienced a winter here. The same temps feel warmer in CO. We are also used to the snow disappearing after a day or two, so it never lingers and we don't get the exhaust snow or black ice. But, again, weather isn't driving this decision, but a consideration. Taxes are our biggest concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 01:16 PM

100 posts, read 36,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
Compared to Colorado, with its dry climate, the winter cold of NJ is brutal IMO. (Not as bad as Minnesota, the Dakotas, tho!) The difference is pretty dramatic, if you've not experienced a winter here. The same temps feel warmer in CO. We are also used to the snow disappearing after a day or two, so it never lingers and we don't get the exhaust snow or black ice. But, again, weather isn't driving this decision, but a consideration. Taxes are our biggest concern.
Seems like you've established a pretty nice life out in CO. Would you consider renting for, say, a 2-3 month period in NJ (late Summer/early Fall, etc) each year but maintaining your full time residence (even if downsized) in CO? That way, you could scratch that itch but not be here long enough to re-remember that it can be a pretty tough place to live year round.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Seems like you've established a pretty nice life out in CO. Would you consider renting for, say, a 2-3 month period in NJ (late Summer/early Fall, etc) each year but maintaining your full time residence (even if downsized) in CO? That way, you could scratch that itch but not be here long enough to re-remember that it can be a pretty tough place to live year round.
This is so helpful--a great idea--thank you! When I think about it, I may not need to be all-in at this point and what you're suggesting does make sense, especially since the rest of my family is not as familiar with FT life in NJ. For me, whenever I'm there for a visit, I feel at home even with the crummy weather, traffic, etc. It's about the people. I have high school friends I haven't seen in decades and when we talk, we pick up where we left off. For all the years I've lived in CO, which is a beautiful place, I've never felt at home here. Those Jersey roots run deep. Now, with all the changes in CO--a huge influx of people due to pot legalization, skyrocketing real estate prices, congested highways, increasing crime/traffic accidents, runaway homelessness issue...the quality of life is sadly changing.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to think out loud here and consider another option.

Last edited by crillon; 09-04-2019 at 05:59 PM..

Old 09-04-2019, 07:13 PM

58,549 posts, read 56,464,631 times
Quote:
I never spent a winter in Colorado, but I've stayed in rural Ontario several times during the last two winters. On January 1, 2018, I took a photo of the thermostat outside the window showing that it was -30F. And went outside and stood in it. Most days were somewhere between -10 and -20.

Drier cold does make a difference. I always heard people say that, and it's true. I was fine outside in those temps until I took my glove off to use my camera, and within a minute my bare hand was in pain.

I still wouldn't call Jersey's winters brutal.

Also, I spent most of my life in north Jersey, and now I live in Monmouth County, about five miles inland. It snows less here and is warmer in winter, also. Often when my mother is getting snow in NW Bergen County, I'm getting rain.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:53 AM

7,339 posts, read 14,390,647 times
Quote:
This is so helpful--a great idea--thank you! When I think about it, I may not need to be all-in at this point and what you're suggesting does make sense, especially since the rest of my family is not as familiar with FT life in NJ. For me, whenever I'm there for a visit, I feel at home even with the crummy weather, traffic, etc. It's about the people. I have high school friends I haven't seen in decades and when we talk, we pick up where we left off. For all the years I've lived in CO, which is a beautiful place, I've never felt at home here. Those Jersey roots run deep. Now, with all the changes in CO--a huge influx of people due to pot legalization, skyrocketing real estate prices, congested highways, increasing crime/traffic accidents, runaway homelessness issue...the quality of life is sadly changing.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to think out loud here and consider another option.
If you'd consider a transition some P/T to F/T life in NJ starting with summers spent in NJ, then I would 100% recommend the Shore and nowhere else. Red Bank, Long Branch, Asbury Park, etc. as already recommended. You can't be living at the Shore in summer if you don't have to commute into Manhattan. All the events come to you. There is always something going on. And yet you're just a 1:30-2:00 train into Manhattan for any city life culture you'd ever need.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If you'd consider a transition some P/T to F/T life in NJ starting with summers spent in NJ, then I would 100% recommend the Shore and nowhere else. Red Bank, Long Branch, Asbury Park, etc. as already recommended. You can't be living at the Shore in summer if you don't have to commute into Manhattan. All the events come to you. There is always something going on. And yet you're just a 1:30-2:00 train into Manhattan for any city life culture you'd ever need.
I think the transition option may be the smartest way to go. I'll start looking in Red Bank and Long Branch for a rental next summer. Both great areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or