U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 09:21 AM

184 posts, read 130,642 times

Advertisements

I was born & raised in NJ (Bergen County), spent the last 35 years in Colorado raising a family & now debating whether to move back to NJ to be near extended family & friends, the beach, access to NY culture, medical/healthcare, etc. My husband and I are in our 60's & still work as consultants. Cost of living in CO has skyrocketed, but our property taxes are still reasonable ($6k/year on our $1.1 million home). I know taxes are high in NJ and retirees are leaving the state, not moving there, so I'm thinking through whether a move back to my home state makes sense at our age & if we can afford it long-term. Although I've enjoyed living in CO, the roots run deep, and as I've gotten older, I long for "home." So, I'm looking for a reality check on making a move and would appreciate any suggestions on where to live. We'd like to buy a home, single or two-family (for adult daughter, possibly). I have family in Morristown, so that's on my list, but thinking South Jersey may offer more reasonable options? Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Last edited by crillon; 09-03-2019 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 10:34 AM

58,549 posts, read 56,464,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
I was born & raised in NJ (Bergen County), spent the last 35 years in Colorado raising a family & now debating whether to move back to NJ to be near extended family & friends, the beach, access to NY culture, medical/healthcare, etc. My husband and I are in our 60's & still work as consultants. Cost of living in CO has skyrocketed, but our property taxes are still reasonable ($6k/year on our $1.1 million home). I know taxes are high in NJ and retirees are leaving the state, not moving there, so I'm thinking through whether a move back to my home state makes sense at our age & if we can afford it long-term. Although I've enjoyed living in CO, the roots run deep for this former Jersey girl, and as I've gotten older, I long for "home." So, I'm looking for a reality check on making a move and would appreciate any suggestions on where to live. We'd like to buy a home, single or two-family (for adult daughter, possibly). I have family in Morristown, so that's on my list, but thinking South Jersey may offer more reasonable options? Thanks, in advance, for your help.
Staying out of the NYC commuting region (south or west Jersey) would definitely be more reasonable, as well as less stressful re traffic, congestion, etc. If you don't have to be right on the Morristown family's doorstep and would be OK being an hour or two away, you should be able to find something that suits you.

It would help if you would fill out the "Stickly" at the top of the page so people can narrow down some areas for suggestions.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Staying out of the NYC commuting region (south or west Jersey) would definitely be more reasonable, as well as less stressful re traffic, congestion, etc. If you don't have to be right on the Morristown family's doorstep and would be OK being an hour or two away, you should be able to find something that suits you.

It would help if you would fill out the "Stickly" at the top of the page so people can narrow down some areas for suggestions.
Thank you! Here's that info:

Where are you coming from? Colorado
Why are you moving? Closer to family/friends, beach, culture, medical/healthcare.
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? From home, as a consultant

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? $500-600k
What kind of place are you looking for ? Single family, two-family

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Husband, adult kid (s)
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
Walkable, charming neighborhood, young & mature mix, safe

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Safe, access to high quality medical/hospital, downtown/walkable/charming area

Old 09-03-2019, 11:08 AM

7,339 posts, read 14,390,647 times
If you just want to be in NJ and don't need to commute to NYC or Philly, yet you also miss the beach and access to NYC, what about Shore towns with developed downtowns along NJT Rail lines? You'd get the walkable downtown, NJ culture, beach at your doorstep, and trains going straight to Manhattan for when you want to explore the culture there.

Red Bank isn't on the beach, but pretty damn close plus a sizeable downtown. It has a hospital, but idk the quality.

Asbury Park is a little rougher than Red Bank still I believe, but its downtown is pretty solid and you could be walking distance to the beach/downtown/train station. The hospital there, according to Google Maps, looks brand new, but again idk the quality. Your adult kids would have a blast there at least in summer.

Freehold isn't on a train line, but it has a good downtown and you could drive to a nearby town for train access to NYC. Freehold is a half hour drive to Princeton, which I assume would have a good hospital, but not sure.

South Jersey has some good options with easy access to Philly, but none will have easy access to NYC unless you got a train from 30th St Station. Places like Collingswood, Haddon Township, and Haddonfield.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If you just want to be in NJ and don't need to commute to NYC or Philly, yet you also miss the beach and access to NYC, what about Shore towns with developed downtowns along NJT Rail lines? You'd get the walkable downtown, NJ culture, beach at your doorstep, and trains going straight to Manhattan for when you want to explore the culture there.

Red Bank isn't on the beach, but pretty damn close plus a sizeable downtown. It has a hospital, but idk the quality.

Asbury Park is a little rougher than Red Bank still I believe, but its downtown is pretty solid and you could be walking distance to the beach/downtown/train station. The hospital there, according to Google Maps, looks brand new, but again idk the quality. Your adult kids would have a blast there at least in summer.

Freehold isn't on a train line, but it has a good downtown and you could drive to a nearby town for train access to NYC. Freehold is a half hour drive to Princeton, which I assume would have a good hospital, but not sure.

South Jersey has some good options with easy access to Philly, but none will have easy access to NYC unless you got a train from 30th St Station. Places like Collingswood, Haddon Township, and Haddonfield.
Red Bank is indeed a good choice. Some people don't like Riverview hospital in Red Bank as well as Monmouth Medical in Long Branch or Jersey Shore Medical in Neptune City, but both are fairly close. I've only been to Riverview for tests and biopsies, and never to the other two, but I seemed to have survived.

Long Branch might be another good choice.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:01 PM

Thanks for these suggestions! Red Bank is a great choice, as is Long Branch. We don't currently need medical care for any ongoing issues, but I'd like to know when the need arises as we age, there are good options. Morristown Medical Center is one of the best, which is another plus in the Morristown column, but it's a pricey area.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:28 PM

898 posts, read 611,331 times
Princeton is vibrant and may have options in your price range. Much closer to nyc is Englewood, popular for empty nesters and a half hour drive in to the city (non rush hour).

Old 09-04-2019, 08:26 AM

1,168 posts, read 847,484 times
Morristown/Denville area is beautiful, and so are the Jersey Shore beaches/towns in South Jersey.

I do have a question, since you miss home. NJ is beautiful place to be from late May thru October, however as soon as November comes it is gray, gloomy and depressing. I hope you don't overlook this aspect.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Morristown/Denville area is beautiful, and so are the Jersey Shore beaches/towns in South Jersey.

I do have a question, since you miss home. NJ is beautiful place to be from late May thru October, however as soon as November comes it is gray, gloomy and depressing. I hope you don't overlook this aspect.
I very much appreciate that you raised the weather issue, as that is the biggest "con" on my list. I remember how grey & gloomy it is over the winter months, the brutal cold, the humid summers, the mosquitoes, and I've never missed that!! Colorado has ideal weather year round and I'm spoiled by it. No mosquitoes, either! I know I could tolerate it--nothing is perfect--but, I do worry my husband and adult kids would have a tougher time adjusting. Hopefully, the tradeoffs are worth it. For me, they are, but the verdict is out on the rest of the family. Although, two of my kids have lived back East for awhile and like it. Nevertheless, it's a big decision.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
I very much appreciate that you raised the weather issue, as that is the biggest "con" on my list. I remember how grey & gloomy it is over the winter months, the brutal cold, the humid summers, the mosquitoes, and I've never missed that!! Colorado has ideal weather year round and I'm spoiled by it. No mosquitoes, either! I know I could tolerate it--nothing is perfect--but, I do worry my husband and adult kids would have a tougher time adjusting. Hopefully, the tradeoffs are worth it. For me, they are, but the verdict is out on the rest of the family. Although, two of my kids have lived back East for awhile and like it. Nevertheless, it's a big decision.
Well...I wouldn't exactly call NJ's cold "brutal". It rarely goes below the 20s, and only for a few days. I think more of a problem is that once it snows, it looks beautiful for one day and then it turns to ugly gray slush once the exhaust fumes gets mixed in along the roads.

But then, last year we only had one or two snowfalls the entire winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or