U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 11:55 AM

14,839 posts, read 17,900,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretorius View Post
Many successful malls are overrun with teenagers on Friday nights and weekends. Newport isn't different.
Yup!
I can recall, back in the late '80s-early '90s, when Friday night at Woodbridge Center became Gang Night. It became the locus for gang members from Elizabeth to parade around the mall with their girlfriends and the infants that the girls had borne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 12:05 PM

4,362 posts, read 9,515,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yup!
I can recall, back in the late '80s-early '90s, when Friday night at Woodbridge Center became Gang Night. It became the locus for gang members from Elizabeth to parade around the mall with their girlfriends and the infants that the girls had borne.
I would venture to guess that "Gang Night" is not an issue at Short Hills, Livingston, or really any other suburban mall in the state

Old 09-06-2019, 12:07 PM

14,839 posts, read 17,900,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I would venture to guess that "Gang Night" is not an issue at Short Hills, Livingston, or really any other suburban mall in the state
DEFINITELY not an issue at Short Hills Mall. It has been a very long time since I have been to the Livingston Mall, but it is probably not an issue there.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:48 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,380,702 times
Other than HudsonCoNJ, is anyone here excited about this opening? Any plans on going? Because I don't know anyone from New York that is planning on coming out.

The reason that Mall of America works is because it doesn't have 5th Avenue or the variety of stores in Times Square. I know they've run the numbers but they all seem very optimistic to me with regard to all the people who supposedly want to trek out there. The stores they mention on their site? Saks, Hermes, Barneys, Tiffany, Sephora, Uniqlo, H+M, they all have flagship stores in New York already, why would anyone in New York go through Manhattan past the store they're going to? They mention 146,000 daily vehicles but, bad news, there's only parking for 33,000 of them. Metlife Stadium has parking for 28K, so game days are going to be a nightmare.

Best of luck to everyone who goes this fall. I hope it works out for them, but I'm betting they're going to take the tax break and break for the hills.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:16 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,312,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Other than HudsonCoNJ, is anyone here excited about this opening? Any plans on going? Because I don't know anyone from New York that is planning on coming out.

The reason that Mall of America works is because it doesn't have 5th Avenue or the variety of stores in Times Square. I know they've run the numbers but they all seem very optimistic to me with regard to all the people who supposedly want to trek out there. The stores they mention on their site? Saks, Hermes, Barneys, Tiffany, Sephora, Uniqlo, H+M, they all have flagship stores in New York already, why would anyone in New York go through Manhattan past the store they're going to? They mention 146,000 daily vehicles but, bad news, there's only parking for 33,000 of them. Metlife Stadium has parking for 28K, so game days are going to be a nightmare.

Best of luck to everyone who goes this fall. I hope it works out for them, but I'm betting they're going to take the tax break and break for the hills.
Who cares about the expensive stores. We buy a lot of things on-line so there is no reason to go there for the stores. There might be a reason to go for entertainment but I would like to see the reviews of their entertainment venues first. We might try to go in the winter. But NHT should've really made the developer pay for building another track to the existing line so that they can offer efficient train service to Secaucus...

Old 09-06-2019, 04:33 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,000,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Who cares about the expensive stores. We buy a lot of things on-line so there is no reason to go there for the stores. There might be a reason to go for entertainment but I would like to see the reviews of their entertainment venues first. We might try to go in the winter. But NHT should've really made the developer pay for building another track to the existing line so that they can offer efficient train service to Secaucus...
Yeah I wasn’t referring to the stores at all. I hate shopping. I’m interested in the entertainment. No matter how much traffic there is, it beats driving to PA to go to a theme park.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:52 PM

367 posts, read 95,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretorius View Post
American Dream won't cause Carmegeddon. Previous predictions of Carmegeddons failed to come to pass, including the Pulaski Skyway shutdown and the 405 closure in Los Angeles. Both were term Carmegeddons and traffic congestion was lighter than normal as travelers are savvy at making adjustments and plenty of alternate travel routes exist. Bloomberg, usually an informative source, did a lousy job with its article.

Newport Centre is a successful shopping mall. Revenue continues to grow, reaching a record in 2018 - this is not the case for many malls. Macy's, a retailer that is closing hundreds of stores, renewed its lease last year, evidence that retailers are optimistic about the future of the property. Many successful malls are overrun with teenagers on Friday nights and weekends. Newport isn't different.
there's a difference between overrun with teenagers and overrun with shoplifters, gangbangers, shooters, general troublemakers.
i have friends who live in JC and they avoid the mall like the plague.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
there's a difference between overrun with teenagers and overrun with shoplifters, gangbangers, shooters, general troublemakers.
i have friends who live in JC and they avoid the mall like the plague.

Are shootings at Newport Mall a common occurrence? I don’t recall ever hearing about any

Old 09-07-2019, 04:57 PM

5,476 posts, read 10,683,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Are shootings at Newport Mall a common occurrence? I don’t recall ever hearing about any

The shooting occurred at around 6 p.m. at the Newport Centre mall in Jersey City. The two victims were taken to a local hospital with gunshot wounds to the abdomen and arm, Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop said during a news conference. No "friendly person" was struck by gunfire, Police Chief Michael Kelly said.Jan 11, 2019
Newport Centre: Shots fired at mall in Jersey City

https://www.usatoday.com › story › news › nation › 2019/01/11 › newport-c...

Old 09-08-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post

The shooting occurred at around 6 p.m. at the Newport Centre mall in Jersey City. The two victims were taken to a local hospital with gunshot wounds to the abdomen and arm, Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop said during a news conference. No "friendly person" was struck by gunfire, Police Chief Michael Kelly said.Jan 11, 2019
Newport Centre: Shots fired at mall in Jersey City

https://www.usatoday.com › story › news › nation › 2019/01/11 › newport-c...

Ok that’s one. I can find you one at Short Hills mall also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or