U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 08:42 PM

6,919 posts, read 6,759,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
Sure, but now the developers are going to get people from the city and tourists flying in/out of all the airports, too. Even Jersey Gardens (which is not a nice mall) has tons of tourists pushing their wheelie suitcase around...I can only imagine they are doing some shopping before heading to EWR. I know a lot of brands are much cheaper in the US-when my husband's family visit from the UK and Australia, they stock up on luxury purses/makeup/skincare here because apparently it's much cheaper. Now a bunch of shopping and entertainment is together in one spot.

A giant mall right across the Hudson is going to attract NYC families for daytrips, and all the NJ families too. I mean, that's how I ended up at both the Edmonton mall and Mall of America--Edmonton mall I was a teen and my dad brought us all along on a series of business trips he had in the oil sector up there. It was the dead of winter--what was there to do for a family?--go to a giant mall with roller coasters inside. My mom gave my brother and I $200 each and didn't see us for the better part of 2 days. With Mall of America, I went with my husband on a business trip to Minneapolis--There was a ton of fun things to do (it was summer thankfully), but so many people in the hotel told us to check out Mall of America that we decided to go for a few hours. We went at an off time like a Tuesday early afternoon and rode some coasters, watched a movie, grabbed some dinner--it was fun!

So if I was sucked in as a tourist in those 2 cities, then I'm sure the same will happen here. Now for me personally, it's not my dream mall unless they have some kind of drop-off babysitter service. Going to a mall with my own kids is more of a nightmare. ;-)
Its definitely a win for the developers for the initial time being. But for NJyans is probably not that great deal. For shopping, who really needs to go this place when we have shopping everywhere?

Skiing is such a hassle only be be stuck with a bland indoor slope. For all the hassle, is better to go to real one.

Same for the water park. I cannot imagine a water park that is big enough to attract anyone but a very young child audience. But they have to deal with all the traffic to get to it.

If an indoor ski slope or indoor water park do become a hit, someone might get the bright idea of opening independent ones in other locations to siphon off some business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
Well all you have to do is check out the parking lots in malls on weekend and look at where the cars are coming from to know that it is happening already...
I always thought they coming from Rockland, or Orange County. NYC has plenty of malls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
If the numbers were there it wouldn't have laid dormant for so long, investors would have been pulling out their checkbooks. At this point it's investors who are taking whatever tax breaks they can, in this case 400 million of them, and trying to break even.
Is $400mil even enough? I think a lot of money was thrown at this only to keep failing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 09:54 AM

556 posts, read 482,227 times
They don't have *just* an indoor ski slope and water park, though. They have a Nickelodeon Universe theme park (again, I've been to the ones in Mall of America and Edmonton) and it's super popular for birthday parties, class parties, etc. They have 3-4 legit roller coasters plus a bunch of kiddie rides and a log flume type ride. Plus Nickelodeon character meet and greets. My 4 year old has already asked when she gets to meet Spongebob, because he's on that huge sign on the side of the mall, and we drive past frequently. On top of the waterpark, the skiing, and the theme park, there is also a Kidzania, which is a chain of huge playspaces where kids can play in an interactive city--with play firestations, supermarkets, police stations, etc. And a movie theater and countless restaurants. I heard they are also going to have an America Girl store. You could let your teens loose to go to Hot Topic or wherever they like these days, while you take younger kids to ride rides, or to KidZania. Or better yet, get a sitter to supervise the kids so you and the spouse can watch an adult movie or eat in a nice restaurant and have some cocktails. I mean truly, if they had a babysitting service, I would be there every month.

That might not be your thing, but if you have a kid between 2-12, they are definitely going to hear about this place and be begging to go.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:27 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,143,551 times
They can do whatever they want with public transportation options, but Jersey people love their cars and they're not going anywhere without them. And nobody in Manhattan is going to be daytripping to a NJ mall, and they certainly won't be doing it through the Port Authority bus terminal.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:55 AM

53 posts, read 16,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I would venture to guess that "Gang Night" is not an issue at Short Hills, Livingston, or really any other suburban mall in the state
You mean "not a problem."

Old 09-19-2019, 11:03 AM

24,883 posts, read 30,993,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
And nobody in Manhattan is going to be daytripping to a NJ mall, and they certainly won't be doing it through the Port Authority bus terminal.
no? i remember nyc people would take daytrips to ikea all the time before they put that one in brooklyn. i also believe that they bus kids like crazy from the city to great adventure. people are always looking for activities to do with their kids. if this is a place that has a lot of stuff to do; they will come.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:36 PM

26,155 posts, read 24,918,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kidd View Post
You mean "not a problem."
What's the difference?

Old 09-19-2019, 07:43 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,001,638 times
“Nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded” is basically what I’m hearing here.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:15 PM

367 posts, read 95,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not a ghetto town expert (since i avoid them by staying in known non-ghetto towns) but i think newark is an issue.
patterson, JC, north bergen (this one is less ghetto in some parts, just more blue collar).

Old 09-19-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Newark is a good 12 miles from this thing. Even people who live in “non-ghetto towns” are likely within 12 miles of a ghetto town and don’t experience issues.
you say that like 12 miles is far...?

Old 09-19-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I just checked.

Google Maps directions say Newark-Meadowlands Sports Complex is 21 minutes and 10.4 miles. Directions for Newark start in downtown Newark, so southern and western sections of Newark are even further away.

Directions from Newark-The Mall at Short Hills is 21 minutes and 13.2 miles. With directions for Newark starting downtown, that means southern and west sections of Newark are actually even closer to Short Hills. Upper Clinton Hill is only 15 minutes away and 9.6 miles.

So I'm still at a total loss as to what these ghetto towns surrounding the Meadowlands are that will destroy it when we're all on board with accepting the fact that Short Hills mall has not been destroyed by Newark's presence only a 20 minutes drive away.

The only one I can even think of is Passaic. But that's one. Meanwhile, every other place nearby is either actually really nice, pretty nice, or just working-class immigrant-heavy like Union City/West New York/North Bergen. Again, they're not ghetto, unless you guys just assume that any city with not enough white people in it is automatically ghetto.
how far away is jackson NJ? have you been to six flags great adventure in the last decade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or