Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 06:25 AM

565 posts, read 719,136 times

Advertisements

Sure, but now the developers are going to get people from the city and tourists flying in/out of all the airports, too. Even Jersey Gardens (which is not a nice mall) has tons of tourists pushing their wheelie suitcase around...I can only imagine they are doing some shopping before heading to EWR. I know a lot of brands are much cheaper in the US-when my husband's family visit from the UK and Australia, they stock up on luxury purses/makeup/skincare here because apparently it's much cheaper. Now a bunch of shopping and entertainment is together in one spot.

A giant mall right across the Hudson is going to attract NYC families for daytrips, and all the NJ families too. I mean, that's how I ended up at both the Edmonton mall and Mall of America--Edmonton mall I was a teen and my dad brought us all along on a series of business trips he had in the oil sector up there. It was the dead of winter--what was there to do for a family?--go to a giant mall with roller coasters inside. My mom gave my brother and I $200 each and didn't see us for the better part of 2 days. With Mall of America, I went with my husband on a business trip to Minneapolis--There was a ton of fun things to do (it was summer thankfully), but so many people in the hotel told us to check out Mall of America that we decided to go for a few hours. We went at an off time like a Tuesday early afternoon and rode some coasters, watched a movie, grabbed some dinner--it was fun!

So if I was sucked in as a tourist in those 2 cities, then I'm sure the same will happen here. Now for me personally, it's not my dream mall unless they have some kind of drop-off babysitter service. Going to a mall with my own kids is more of a nightmare. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 08:43 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,847,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
what was there to do for a family?
New York City is neither Edmonton nor Milwaukee, there's an awful lot for families already, I don't see tourists making it out of the city mostly because I don't see a lot of tourists taking the time to travel to New York and take in the Cyclone.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:47 PM

2,664 posts, read 2,077,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
Sure, but now the developers are going to get people from the city and tourists flying in/out of all the airports, too. Even Jersey Gardens (which is not a nice mall) has tons of tourists pushing their wheelie suitcase around...I can only imagine they are doing some shopping before heading to EWR. I know a lot of brands are much cheaper in the US-when my husband's family visit from the UK and Australia, they stock up on luxury purses/makeup/skincare here because apparently it's much cheaper. Now a bunch of shopping and entertainment is together in one spot.

A giant mall right across the Hudson is going to attract NYC families for daytrips, and all the NJ families too. I mean, that's how I ended up at both the Edmonton mall and Mall of America--Edmonton mall I was a teen and my dad brought us all along on a series of business trips he had in the oil sector up there. It was the dead of winter--what was there to do for a family?--go to a giant mall with roller coasters inside. My mom gave my brother and I $200 each and didn't see us for the better part of 2 days. With Mall of America, I went with my husband on a business trip to Minneapolis--There was a ton of fun things to do (it was summer thankfully), but so many people in the hotel told us to check out Mall of America that we decided to go for a few hours. We went at an off time like a Tuesday early afternoon and rode some coasters, watched a movie, grabbed some dinner--it was fun!

So if I was sucked in as a tourist in those 2 cities, then I'm sure the same will happen here. Now for me personally, it's not my dream mall unless they have some kind of drop-off babysitter service. Going to a mall with my own kids is more of a nightmare. ;-)
I seriously doubt that many NYC families will go to NJ mall especially since there isn't going to be a train service. Not everyone has cars in NYC. And if they do come, they would probably come for entertainment, not shopping. NYC has plenty of stores, no need to go to NJ...

Old 09-17-2019, 01:20 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,847,082 times
The plan (because there isn't enough parking anyway) is for people to take a bus from Port Authority. Meaning anything they buy they need to board the bus with to take home.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:52 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,514,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I seriously doubt that many NYC families will go to NJ mall especially since there isn't going to be a train service. Not everyone has cars in NYC. And if they do come, they would probably come for entertainment, not shopping. NYC has plenty of stores, no need to go to NJ...
a ton of NY'ers used to come to NJ when there was still tax on clothing in NYC. that's died off some, but there are still a good number that do. and that's just for shopping.
throw in an amusement park, ice skating rink, indoor skiing, water park, shopping, food, a total entertainment center... I think you're severely underestimating the amount of activities available under one roof that will draw people from several states away.

the only thing that might stop the crowds is the impending depression.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:11 AM

585 posts, read 490,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post

Well all you have to do is check out the parking lots in malls on weekend and look at where the cars are coming from to know that it is happening already...

Old 09-18-2019, 09:14 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,288,123 times
1. What bad areas around it are we referring to? Passaic and Hackensack? It's also near a lot of nice areas, so I don't see anyone's point.

2. I live in JC. Newport Mall is nothing like you're all making it out to be. I go there regularly. It's a diverse group of people. Pretty solid shopping options. The food court is surprisingly nice. I never had problems there and I'm only aware of a single shooting that happened there and it was a single person shot for a gang conflict. Yeah, it might not be Short Hills, but it's not like it's some terrible rundown dumpy mall with low-end stores stocking low-end merchandise and an empty food court and a movie theater that doesn't work. It's a mall in an urban location with a diverse population surrounding it. But to paint it as a gang hotspot where the everyday person is afraid to go is ridiculous.

3. No, I probably won't be going to this. I hate driving to begin with and public transit to the mall will be basically nonexistent. The entertainment will attract too many small children. I'd much rather take PATH into Manhattan and go to the same stores there (if I could even afford some of them). Maybe on a scorching hot day I'd visit just to get out of the house, but stay cool. But I can't see myself actually shopping there.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:42 AM

565 posts, read 719,136 times
Exactly, it's the vast entertainment options they are going to come from NYC to go to. I already have friends in NYC planning family days in this mall. My demographic is the target demographic: 25-50, of a certain income, with kids. In the past 6 months, I have taken my kids to Great Wolf Lodge (PA), Sesame Place-twice! (PA), Disney World (FL), countless movies and playgrounds and indoor play centers. And now I can do it all in one place, 8 miles from my house? The only experience I wouldn't trade in favor of the mall in Secaucus is Disney World. But I would totally trade Sesame place or GWL for a similar experience at a place that doesn't require an overnight stay.

I'm just curious to see if it's going to be packed and overly crowded with expensive parking. I don't really do crowds, so time will tell.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,558,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
It’s too close to some ghetto towns and I fear it will be run down and turn into Newport mall 2.0 in short order if enforcement isn’t in place.
yeah, i dont think this is going to be a place for the captainnj family. the short hills mall has that problem also and im sure this would be much much worse.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:29 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,288,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, i dont think this is going to be a place for the captainnj family. the short hills mall has that problem also and im sure this would be much much worse.
Again, what ghetto towns are you referring to and have you ever even been to Newport in the last year or so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey