Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:28 AM

138 posts, read 610,532 times

Advertisements

This is my first post here, and I hoping you guys can help. My boyfriend & I are looking for a house with max price about $325,000. We want at least 2BR & 2 bathrooms. I work in the city & need to be near a train - looking for about 35 minutes or less to Newark, at which point I switch to the PATH. He works in Piscataway and doesn't mind up to a 45-minute commute. He likes small towns; I like cities - so we are looking for something in between. Something maybe with a cute downtown. We also hope to start a family within the next few years, so it should have good schools. Any suggestions? So far South Amboy & Cranford look good, although I am not sure if we can afford Cranford...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 10:46 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Did you check the classified section within this website... there's a few in there that suit your needs : ) Metuchen is very cute and I hear Old Bridge is as well.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 AM

138 posts, read 610,532 times
Thanks Wiley - I'm sorry, I don't know how to find the classifieds? Is it within the forum?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:55 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
go to forum jump at the bottom of this page...it's almost the very last section just under people search.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:08 AM

5 posts, read 12,764 times
I grew up in Cranford...nice family town...good schools. My husband and I have been looking to move to Westfield. We love the downtown area there and good schools as well. For your price range you would be able to get a condo/townhouse in Cranford/Westfield area. Scotch Plains/Fanwood are the next towns over to the west and you may be able to find a small single family cape cod. Commute to Piscataway would be on Rt. 22 West which is not too bad going west in the morning. Any of these towns all have train stations in the center of town and are very convenient to get into the city. I know you can buy a monthly parking permit in Cranford to park at the train station. You can check out NJ - Garden State MLS, New Jersey - Garden State MLS (http://new.gsmls.com/public/ - broken link) to get an idea of what's out there. There are tons of open houses on Sundays which is a good way to meet realtors and get on the auto email lists for when houses come on the market. They may have other suggestions for you as well...good luck!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:23 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,097,752 times
According to your criteria, your best bet would be either Edison or Metuchen. The hardest problem is the train within your area but in both of those towns you are in good hands. Both towns are near eachother and both have good train systems. You can also find a home in your price range. I am not sure if you are looking at condos/townhomes as well but in Edison you can have either one and in Metuchen you are probably going to be looking at a condo/townhome. There are only a few homes under $325K in Metuchen but in Edison the choices are plentiful.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,165 times
Garwood is a town between Cranford and Westfield. There are some starter homes in your price range. Garwood also has a train station. Small downtown, however you are so close to both Cranford and Westfield you have the best of both worlds.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:04 PM

9 posts, read 45,746 times
East Brunswick is a great town. Its a short distance to New Brunswick, where you can get the train or East Brunswick has a bus station. The schools are excellent and you are in the middle of everything with Rt. 18. Spotswood is also a small little town right next to East Brunswick. Again great schools and great community.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:10 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,097,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSiomiak View Post
East Brunswick is a great town. Its a short distance to New Brunswick, where you can get the train or East Brunswick has a bus station. The schools are excellent and you are in the middle of everything with Rt. 18. Spotswood is also a small little town right next to East Brunswick. Again great schools and great community.
East Brunswick is a great choice as well that just does not offer a train system but there are bus systems within the town. Great schools here!!

Old 05-20-2008, 02:16 PM

17 posts, read 56,918 times
Default Have you tried

There are some really nice listings in you price range in Keyport, Hazlet, Union Beach, Matwan and parts of Middletown. These towns all offer a 35 minute commute, and all have great schools.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey