Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 21,734 times

Advertisements

Hi, wife and I are thinking of purchasing a place in Leonia off of Grand Avenue. I heard from some friends to avoid Fort Lee Road and that the bus we would need to take would not be NJ transit but rather the Red & Tan line. Does anyone know if the commute takes under an hour and more importantly if there are seats on the bus by the time it hits Leonia. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 21,714 times
Yes, please. Seriously thinking of moving to Leonia, commute to work in NYC. What's the NYC commute like? How long does it take? Is there an express bus to 42st PA? How often and how late do those mini bus/jitneys to the GWB run? Do they run on Ft. Lee Rd? Thank you in advance!

Old 02-13-2012, 04:12 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,216,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingNBuying View Post
Yes, please. Seriously thinking of moving to Leonia, commute to work in NYC. What's the NYC commute like? How long does it take? Is there an express bus to 42st PA? How often and how late do those mini bus/jitneys to the GWB run? Do they run on Ft. Lee Rd? Thank you in advance!
1. Really depends dramatically on what times you're leaving and can be unpredictable for traffic, but the commute is usually 30-45 minutes to/from the Port Authority (then however long it takes you to get to/from your office). Can be up to an hour and a half on a bad traffic day.

2. Yes, the New Jersey Transit 166T (as distinct from the 166X that goes straight to/from Englewood and the regular local 166 that runs via Boulevard East to the Lincoln Tunnel). It runs on Broad Ave (then into Palisades Park and onto the NJ Turnpike via US-46, and through the Lincoln Tunnel to NYC). There are also Red & Tan/Coach USA express buses, though I am less familiar with them. In Leonia, there are always seats, as during the peak of rush hour the 166T starts in Leonia. You may want to stand sometimes coming home, although the buses are frequent enough that you can always wait for the next one.

3. The NJT 166T buses run very frequently (about every 5-10 minutes) during rush hour, tapering off on either end. The last one runs into NYC at 10:30 am on weekdays, with the first one around 5:30 am. The last one in the evening to Leonia is also around 11:00 pm, I think, though I've never ridden one that late; the earliest leaves NYC around 2:30 pm. They also run with longer headways on Saturdays, but there is no express service on Sundays.

For more details, see : http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0166.pdf (you're looking at the times labeled "T").

Coach USA to me has always been less reliable than NJT. They were more expensive for a while as well, though I think NJT prices have now caught up. They do run more express buses in the middle of the day but are less frequent during rush hour. I would stick with NJT.

4. No idea on the jitneys, sorry.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:20 AM

9 posts, read 12,061 times
Not sure if you received a response. There are also buses on Broad (NJ transit) and depending on where you live on Grand you can easily walk to a Broad bus stop. The Red and Tan runs smoothly and there are usually seats left when it hits Leonia, I have friends who take the R and T regularly.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera330 View Post
Hi, wife and I are thinking of purchasing a place in Leonia off of Grand Avenue. I heard from some friends to avoid Fort Lee Road and that the bus we would need to take would not be NJ transit but rather the Red & Tan line. Does anyone know if the commute takes under an hour and more importantly if there are seats on the bus by the time it hits Leonia. Thanks!

Old 09-20-2019, 09:48 AM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muranonj View Post
Not sure if you received a response. There are also buses on Broad (NJ transit) and depending on where you live on Grand you can easily walk to a Broad bus stop. The Red and Tan runs smoothly and there are usually seats left when it hits Leonia, I have friends who take the R and T regularly.

Hope this helps.
Probably figured it out after seven years.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:49 AM

No need for the sarcasm, didn't the see the post date.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:01 PM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muranonj View Post
No need for the sarcasm, didn't the see the post date.

I knew that.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:28 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,773,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Probably figured it out after seven years.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:05 AM

so why did you feel the need to post a sarcastic, of no value, reply? just to be mean spirited? not very nice, in my view especially as a moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I knew that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey