U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 10:46 PM

26,155 posts, read 24,918,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

... or, unless you have PASSED 85 MPH.

I've asked him if English is his second language, but he has never answered. I got hit with a point for being rude. I will not mock or criticize anyone who is not a native speaker.

Hell, most of my posts contain errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 09:59 AM

13,786 posts, read 9,287,919 times
Wow the Internet Grammar police is out at full force. Conversely I always wonder about people who are spellcheck and grammar nazis and what they do in real life. Try correcting your boss who supposed to possess MBA and 20+ year experience.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:07 AM

24,876 posts, read 30,993,270 times
retriever takes that to an unnecessary level. not everyone is going to have perfect grammar/spelling for whatever reasons. im not interested in trying to put someone down for those errors. but some people get a little self satisfaction in it. vision, you did retriever a favor by letting him feel better about himself by trying to make you feel worse.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:30 PM

8,128 posts, read 17,533,417 times
Really, there shouldn't be a speed limit. It's man made concept: we made the whole thing up. It's an arbitrary number that municipal traffic courts use as a means to extract revenue from. Instead of speed limit signs, have police officers enforce reckless driving citations on a common sense basis. Someone driving slow in the left lane, a truck driver changing lanes abruptly on an interstate and thus obstructing traffic flow, someone changing lanes often and erratically as a means to circumvent drivers driving at a reasonable and prudent speed would be yet one more example.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:40 PM

9,150 posts, read 2,693,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why? it should be addressed by locking them in prison.

this is a conversation among citizens, not an attempt to change anything. while they law may say this and the government may do something; that has absolutely no impact on our opinions. if your opinion changes based on whatever the law happens to be, then you have zero morals. so dont bother citing the law or suggesting complaining to POS politicians.
opinions are like......

Old 09-14-2019, 06:51 PM

24,876 posts, read 30,993,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
opinions are like......
did you think of that all by yourself?

the law and our opinions dont have to be aligned.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:30 PM

2,631 posts, read 897,419 times
I drive 78 out to PA all the time. Nearly everyone drives 75 mph anyway, and as has been pointed out already, it’s the drivers who won’t keep up with the flow of traffic that cause issues as he majority then have to navigate around them.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:55 PM
Status: "Settling in for the dreary winter" (set 7 days ago)

3,165 posts, read 2,599,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I love the right lane.
Me too! Isn’t it called the granny lane? If so, it’s fitting for me!

Old 09-15-2019, 12:31 AM

26,155 posts, read 24,918,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
Me too! Isn’t it called the granny lane? If so, it’s fitting for me!
Yes it is, and that's where I belong. I'm retired, so I don't need to pass anyone to make it to work on time.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:52 AM

17,491 posts, read 12,198,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I drive 78 out to PA all the time. Nearly everyone drives 75 mph anyway, and as has been pointed out already, it’s the drivers who won’t keep up with the flow of traffic that cause issues as he majority then have to navigate around them.
didn't your mother ever admonish you... 'if your friends jumped off a bridge you would too???

speed limit is 65, most go over the speed limit. way over the limit.

target rich environment for tickets, think of yourself as a sheep in a pen or your own making, where you remain until being harvested by a cop for his ticket quota or municipality which needs a some cash for their coffers.

Insurance companies love the perception of latitude most drivers think they have been given by the law.

Get into an accident and have your speed listed at 1 mile over the limit and suffer financial consequences. the problem is, inconsistent enforcement of speed limits.

because you do 75 is no justification for drivers, who obey the speed limit and decide not to chance a ticket to be forced to break the law, to be forced to break the law along with you. Your speed creates the inconsistency safety problem.

Really, cars today can easily be driven faster than you think you are going because of the sound proof interiors. the same people who can't stay on their side of a double yellow line while driving a new car with all the latest technology have no business doing 75 in a 65....let alone 85 in a 75 zone.

the cars are capable of 75.. really 85... given the imaginary 10mph latitude. most drivers are not capable mentally. Especially on the congested roads in NJ with an exit every two miles and dump trucks and semis blocking the right two lanes and the perception that the driver with the right away has to yield to the driver with the yield sign. river rd and Washington ave in Piscataway is not rt 91 in Vermont or the ME turnpike!

Sure, some sections of road can easily handle a 75 mph limit, however, the change in speed limits would be too many and too brief. Sorry officer, thought I was still in the 75 zone. the state or feds are not going to slice and dice the speed limits on any stretch of NJ roadways. You have all seen the 55 mph signs on 287 and the parkway....drivers treat those zones as a 65 mph default. no one does 55 in those stretches unless they are transporting illegal drugs.

As for Pa, when is 78 or 80 not under construction?

You want to make a diff in traffic flow, let tractor trailers use the fast lane on three lane roads.
trucker complaints...

“Cars either jump in front of you to just slow down or cut in front of you as you are coming to a stop when they don’t realize how long it takes you to stop the truck,” Jones said. “I pull tankers full of chemicals, and I can tell you it isn’t easy to just stop.”

'Most major trucking companies use a device that limits the maximum speed of their vehicle to around 65 mph. Every day on the road, Klang said she will catch up to another truck which isn’t going its maximum speed at the time. She will start to pass, but then the other truck speeds up to 65 mph, creating a traffic crunch for Klang and surrounding motorists.
““It happens all day, every day,” '.

anyone ever notice the parade of trucks on our high speed highways? Especially in Nj with some many shipping centers and distribution hubs.

Manufacturers need to allow sound and vibration into the car's interior to aid the driver in gauging seat of pants speed, rather than reliance on gauges which no one seems to look at, given the proliferation of phones and pads. Isn't there an app available for making a driver feel as if they are going 'fast'?

Would be nice to drive 75 on Nj roads, rate limiting step, idiot drivers with no concern for others or of the consequence of defying gravity. Possession of a NJ or PA driver license does not equate to an equality of competence. Quite like the governments ppaca claim, that all doctors are equally competent.

Living bureaucratic fantasies in NJ.

Deer/car collisions would be a sight to see at 85.

there is always new England when nj is through with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or