U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 07:37 AM

14,839 posts, read 17,900,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I love the right lane.
That is where I drive, most of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
Me too! Isn’t it called the granny lane?
I call it "my private passing lane".
Because the majority of drivers don't seem to know that one is supposed to keep to the right unless one is passing another vehicle, the right lane is almost always empty of traffic. And, because so many of the people traveling in the center lane and the left lane are driving at or below the speed limit, I am able to safely cruise past them in the right lane.

And, before anyone admonishes me that passing on the right is not legal, I have to correct that misconception. In NJ, passing on the right is legal on multi-lane roads. Of course, it is illegal to use the road shoulder, but as long as you are in a travel lane, passing on the right is legal, and--given the number of people who are clogging-up the center and left lanes--it is actually necessary to pass on the right in many situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 07:54 AM

2,631 posts, read 897,419 times
Yes, Kracer, my mother said that to me. My father, who has licenses for all kind of vehicles, planes, and heavy equipment, told me not to impede the flow of traffic.

No cop is going to pull you over for 75 mph in a 65 zone unless you’re doing something else wrong. In fact, I have a very close friend who was visiting CA, and he had a cop tell him if he couldn’t keep up, to get off the highway and take the side roads.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:41 AM

22 posts, read 5,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
This is complete nonsense.

The 55 mph speed limit has zero to do with safety. It only existed the save gas and then law enforcement saw the money benefit. Highways should be set to the 85% principle. The difference in speed between motorists is the problem on highways.
http://www.mikeontraffic.com/85th-pe...eed-explained/

Routes 80, 287, 78, 295, The GSP, the Turnpike routinely have speeds of 70-80mph. We only see 55 or 65 on highways. How is it you never see a speed limit of 60mph in NJ? If there were speed studies done we would see 60 mph in some locations.
This is definitely not nonsense.

https://www.iihs.org/api/datastoredo...liography/2188

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0074.htm

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...s-study-shows/

Old 09-16-2019, 10:54 AM

24,876 posts, read 30,993,270 times
do you think that the government should ban vape pens?

Old 09-16-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
do you think that the government should ban vape pens?
I'm not sure how this has any relevance to the argument?

I'm simply saying that there are negative tradeoffs to saving a few minutes. In a state as densely populated as NJ, most sections of the highways would still be 65 anyways. And you're going to sit in traffic and sit at lights during the other part of your commute, so those time savings are most likely lost. Why decrease safety for little benefit?

And the person said it was "complete nonsense" when there are plenty of studies stating otherwise. I don't disagree that there are artificial speed limits to raise revenue, but that's mostly in small towns with speed traps. Not really on the highways.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:33 AM

24,876 posts, read 30,993,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhock3y View Post
I'm not sure how this has any relevance to the argument?

I'm simply saying that there are negative tradeoffs to saving a few minutes. In a state as densely populated as NJ, most sections of the highways would still be 65 anyways. And you're going to sit in traffic and sit at lights during the other part of your commute, so those time savings are most likely lost. Why decrease safety for little benefit?

And the person said it was "complete nonsense" when there are plenty of studies stating otherwise. I don't disagree that there are artificial speed limits to raise revenue, but that's mostly in small towns with speed traps. Not really on the highways.
im wondering if you will support any law/ban the government puts in place. so if the government bans vape pens, would you be supportive of that move?

Old 09-17-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im wondering if you will support any law/ban the government puts in place. so if the government bans vape pens, would you be supportive of that move?
Nobody cares about your stupid strawman argument. Way to completely ignore the issue at hand

Old 09-17-2019, 09:00 AM

13,786 posts, read 9,287,919 times
The right-lane is actually the fastest lane at many stretches that don't have merges. I got tired of trying to get around lane hoggers on the left lane. Many left-lane hoggers are doing 65 when I prefer being 70+ I got around this woman and pulled past her and she started speeding up as soon as I got next to her side by side and went up to 80mph before she backed off. I hit 86mph in my Prius and she was in an Audi S4.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:57 AM

473 posts, read 1,015,345 times
It would be an excuse to raise our insurance rates. We're at the breaking point as it is.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:11 PM

867 posts, read 1,246,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
With today's modern cars, it seems everyone is comfortable at driving at faster speeds and the unofficial speed limit in NJ is 80mph left lane, 75mph in the center and 70-90mph in the right lane depending if someone is clogging up the left lane.

I had the unfortunate issue this weekend, where I was running on spare tire from Atlantic City Area all the way up to Newark, and drove the speed limit 65-70mph all the way up the Parkway. I was passed by every single driver on the road, including Grandma in her 1988 Lincoln Towncar. It's time to move the speed limits to what the actually speed being done is.
I think that the speed limit is only a small part of the issue of driving in this area and much of the Northeast. I've done alot of driving all along the East Coast and definitely notice a difference here, even on roads with moderate to low congestion. I think the biggest issues here can be summarized as a lack of cooperation among drivers and even outright aggression towards one another for little to nothing.

Traffic could flow nicely and very safely at 70-80 mi/hr here if drivers appropriately yielded to oncoming traffic, yielded to other drivers overtaking them in the passing lane, stayed right unless passing, did not tailgate, didn't zip across 3 lanes of traffic the second they entered the highway (or the last second before exiting), and didn't intentionally block other drivers from entering/exiting lanes (that's always a gem to watch).

Sounds like a hypothetical driving utopia, but I have seen much better elsewhere and can't figure out why. Seems that either driver education here is lacking, or there is a culture of selfishness and stress from being in a densely populated state. I think the latter is much more likely, but there's no excuse for some of the nonsense that I see daily. Any way you cut it, I don't think that raising speed limits to 75 are going to improve the driving experience, mostly because many roads routinely operate at or above that speed anyway. If anything, it will be the same antics at higher speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or