U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 12:19 PM

1,168 posts, read 847,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I think that the speed limit is only a small part of the issue of driving in this area and much of the Northeast. I've done alot of driving all along the East Coast and definitely notice a difference here, even on roads with moderate to low congestion. I think the biggest issues here can be summarized as a lack of cooperation among drivers and even outright aggression towards one another for little to nothing.

Traffic could flow nicely and very safely at 70-80 mi/hr here if drivers appropriately yielded to oncoming traffic, yielded to other drivers overtaking them in the passing lane, stayed right unless passing, did not tailgate, didn't zip across 3 lanes of traffic the second they entered the highway (or the last second before exiting), and didn't intentionally block other drivers from entering/exiting lanes (that's always a gem to watch).

Sounds like a hypothetical driving utopia, but I have seen much better elsewhere and can't figure out why. Seems that either driver education here is lacking, or there is a culture of selfishness and stress from being in a densely populated state. I think the latter is much more likely, but there's no excuse for some of the nonsense that I see daily. Any way you cut it, I don't think that raising speed limits to 75 are going to improve the driving experience, mostly because many roads routinely operate at or above that speed anyway. If anything, it will be the same antics at higher speeds.
I agree with your post here. I've driven most of this country, there are idiots and good drivers everywhere, but NJ has by far the best drivers. People tend to drive be more aggressive, and have a need for a place to be at while driving which is not a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 01:24 PM

867 posts, read 1,246,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I agree with your post here. I've driven most of this country, there are idiots and good drivers everywhere, but NJ has by far the best drivers. People tend to drive be more aggressive, and have a need for a place to be at while driving which is not a bad thing.
I don't disagree with NJ overall having skilled drivers (as far as ability to operate a motor vehicle), but I think the aggression can bring stress and distractions that can frustrate drivers and cause people to make mistakes. Like I said in my previous post, speed isn't the issue, a lack of cooperation between drivers can cause greater issues than speed.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:22 PM

24,876 posts, read 30,993,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhock3y View Post
Nobody cares about your stupid strawman argument. Way to completely ignore the issue at hand
if you think that it isnt telling that you have avoided answering the question you are wrong. this is just a conversation, nobody really cares much about what anyone has to see. im not sure why you cant answer a simple question.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:26 PM

24,876 posts, read 30,993,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I don't disagree with NJ overall having skilled drivers (as far as ability to operate a motor vehicle), but I think the aggression can bring stress and distractions that can frustrate drivers and cause people to make mistakes. Like I said in my previous post, speed isn't the issue, a lack of cooperation between drivers can cause greater issues than speed.
i think for the most part people are decent enough with being courteous to other drivers. of course, there are a lot of people who see a turn signal and speed up so the person cant get in front of them but there are many would let people in. i just dont use my turn signal anymore. the most obnoxious drivers i encountered was when i have my annual drive into manhattan in the morning commute. that trip is such a horrible grind that so many people are just angry. you want to change lanes and you should be ready for a battle. that is a nightmare. i get it, their lives absolutely suck because they have to sit in that traffic regularly. otherwise, people are fine.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:48 PM

46 posts, read 6,900 times
I have literally driven 110 mph on the Jersey Turnpike, it is one of the best designed highways in the country. 14 lanes wide at some point, and perfectly straight for 50 miles at a time. Roads like that shouldn't have a speed limit at all.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:39 PM

2,133 posts, read 4,062,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSpeeder View Post
The LIE can easily handle 80 mph. It is 4 lanes wide, straight, smooth, and light traffic on the eastern sections. 55 mph was adopted only for the oil crisis, not for safety. No one goes 55 on that. Did they ever consider that if the speed limits were reasonable to begin with, people wouldn't feel the need to go 10 or 15 over?? I wonder how many of these safety fanatics here actually go 55 in long island when the road is empty. People drive what they feel comfortable at regardless of the speed limit. 41 states are 70+, not NY, and I swear I have never seen more speed traps on any highway than the LIE. It is ridiculous, a huge money making scam. You try going 55 on a wide open interstate and see how "reasonable" it is..indoctrinated millenials lol
Quote:
Yeah, going faster than 55 on a wide open road is totally a recipe for disaster. Let's enforce an already insanely low speed limit and slow down traffic even more. I have to sit in bumper to bumper city traffic and then when it opens up not go over 50? Some of these posts made me ill.
Quote:
I have seen cops there pull people over for going 62-63 even at around exit 65!! I swear this highway has a ridiculous speed limit and the most speed traps I have ever seen. Oh now they hide between the 2 medians in the center. I drove 100 mph on this road last weekend and it felt fine. 65 mph speed limit is still too low for long island.
Quote:
Wrong, people drive what they feel comfortable with regardless of the speed limit. And who cares anyway? Even 80 is reasonable for the suffolk section of I 495
Quote:
Ha ha I went 100 this weekend, right past some 55 signs, people drive what the want regardless
Quote:
Long Island cops, especially garden city cops, are pompous *******s. They know the roads can handle 80 mph and they hide in every nook and cranny next to the LIE waiting to pull some innocent guy over for doing a whopping 75 mph. They really should get rid of all those openings in the side of the road. It is also dangerous that if I need to pull over and not see that cop hiding around the curve. Basically traffic will be peacefully flowing at 75 mph and then everyone will slam on their breaks if there is ANY car on the shoulder (about 10 abandoned ones in suffolk county)., and take their eyes off the road and look at their speedometer due to fear of getting ticketed, despite just driving normally. I doubt any of the OCD safety fanatics posting here go anywhere near 55 on that road, hypocrites.
Quote:
I completely see your point, that is why I drive 100 MPH instead of 55, nearly cutying the time in half.
Quote:
Nope, people drive what they feel comfortable with. Did you ever consider that if the speed limits were reasonable to begin with, people wouldn't feel the need to go 15 over in the first place? Raise the limit to 75, and everyone will continue going 80-85 like they usually go in suffolk county and there won't be a problem. The road can handle the speed, let alone 65 mph. The few guys going 90 are going to do it anyway, even at 55 mph limit (me) and many people see ridiculous speed limits as a joke and an incentive to speed. In fact, I actually respect 65 mph speed limits more often than not because at least it isn't a scam and they are considering what the road is designed to handle. 55 mph however, can go screw off and I just floor it. Very Wrong there buddy.
Quote:
Agreed, the cops always hide when traffic open up, which is ridiculous because it is safer to fo faster in suffolk county than nassau county. They hide where it is reasonable for people go fast and slap tickets and them there. It is beyond gross extortion. Most states are 75+, not ny, the pigs need something to do.
Quote:
The Grand central parkway speed limits are beyond retarded. 45 mph minimum speed with 55 mph maximum. You would die when you see the new 45 mph white speed limit sign on the thruway across the tappanzee bridge. Drops from 65 to 45 for no reason in an instant while everyone is going 70-80. A road that can handle 120.
Quote:
Lol as if 65 is being so generous.
Quote:
Interstate 495 meets the criteria for freeway (4 lanes each direction with a concrete median separating directions of travel that has rural stretches that last for 10 miles or more)
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwXJpKbeNX4

Here is a video I made of me going exactly 55 mph on the LIE to show how ridiculous it is.
Quote:
Oh so now going 15 mph is too fast are they out of their minds?
Quote:
First of all, if the speed limits were reasonable to begin with, people wouldn't feel the need to go 10 over. Most people do not drive faster than 80 anyway regardless. I have driven 95-100 several times in the past on the LIE and it was a joke. There are 4+ miles between exits out past exit 65. Meanwhile the road is infested with cops and they ticket you for as low as 63 mph even out east. Who's andy? Sounds like he needs some medication. 41 states are 71+ not ny, the pigs need something to do.
Quote:
*70+
Quote:
No it was mounted, but based on the distance i went and time between exits you can show it is 55 mph, and the rate at which the lines are passing you can show it was a constant speed of 55. In fact, i made sure the speedometer said 58 to make sure it was over 55 ( it is 2 mph off). And no, most people dont go 100 regardless of the speed limit. You people are hilarious, acting like going over 80 is death-defying. I have gone 100 mph on the LIE in the past and it was a joke. I suggest you check out my 33 min video of the east biund side, as well as my 150 others of different highways. Basically i am sick of the government vicitimizing innocent people over trivial Moderator cut: language removed
They have no idea what it is like to drive normally. Sometimes 80-100 mph is normally. I guarantee no one here would stay below 55 while driving the entire length of the LIE. Also, the time saving arguments are bs because if your commute is 35 minutes, saving 20 mins is needed. My dad also commutes from brooklyn to nassau county very day and has to worry about state troopers hiding in every spot imaginable. Speed limits are all unreasonable and are a money making scam.
Quote:
No thanks I need my sleep. I am not going to lose sleep just so I can drive an abnormally slow speed on a wide open highway because some money-greedy politician said so on an arbitrary sign. You try going exactly 55 on the entire length of the LIE and see how easy it is.
Quote:
And who is he to decide why someone is in a hurry? If you or your wife (whichever) were in labor would you still then say "ohh only saves 15 min who cares"? What if my commute is 50 minutes, so 20 mins is a huge chunk. Seriously how can people complain about traffic but then refuse to go over 55 when it opens up. You do realize after sitting in traffic people may want to compensate. The national oil crisis is over (even the recent attack on saudi fields didn't end up doing much) and there is no reason why the limit should still be 55. Do research, it was not for safety, only to conserve fuel. 55 is not even a mile a minute. So yes, even 80 mph is safe for a wide open interstate. It would at least make more sense to gradually increase the speed limit as you head out east, not to just cap it at 55 regardless of how much the road empties out. Some sections of the road are so deserted you couldn't cause an accident even if you tried. Also, impeding the flow of traffic is just as dangerous as going that same amount faster than traffic. Speed differential is still the same? Also, there might be some stupid 20 mph over = reckless driving statute, so now 75 mph is reckless driving? Also, how are we supposed to mind-read and know "oh the cops really don't start ticketing until 70 blah blah.." it is dangerous to have to constantly worry about getting a ticket when driving at a comfortable speed and constantly check the speedometer when one can just drive normally and match the speed of traffic with a safe following distance. Germany has no speed limits on 70% of their highways and they have 1/3 the per capita fatality rates with no speed limits. In fact, one statistic said something like "100,000 people drive over 190 mph every day" on the roads and there are less accidents than the US, but I am not even saying that, I am saying it should just be reasonable like 75-80, jeeezzz
Quote:
Ha lol even most of the cops admit the speed limit is ridiculous and THAT is where you get your 10-15 over "grace amount" from. Near Riverhead, the LIE is no different from the new york state thruway or I 80/I 78 in NJ. I have driven 6800 miles in the last 7 months alone, have traversed the entire LIe at least 10 times by now so I know how congested it is. One time, it was bumper to bumper until exit 50, but then it opened up and everyone was still travelling around 80 mph after that exit. Speed Limits cannot be set based on congestion because that changes hour to hour, and MOST of the time, half of the LIE is OPEN ENOUGH to go 75-80 mph on it. And yes, the times I went 90+ it was very empty, probably on a weekend, so then there shouldn't be limits during certain hours in that case. Regardless, 55 mph is insanely slow. New York even allows 65 mph speed limits on freeways/interstates, and the LIE meets the 4 lanes, median divider, and rural requirements to be 65 mph, and jeezz 65 mph that's not so generous anyway, seriously is that fastest you have ever driven? Let's not forget then when there's a "work zone" (even when nothing is going on) then they will make it EVEN LOWER to something like 45 or 35 or some nonsense. Where do you draw the line? Even at 40 mph you can make "decent time" but that is not the point. If the limit was higher, most people would not go 20 over because in that case the going 100 instead of 80 is not worth the ticket, whereas 55 is so ridiculous that no one even cares and just floors it. Treat people reasonably and they will respect the law.
Quote:
I have literally driven 110 mph on the Jersey Turnpike, it is one of the best designed highways in the country. 14 lanes wide at some point, and perfectly straight for 50 miles at a time. Roads like that shouldn't have a speed limit at all.
Quote:
Even 100 mph is fine for Nevada roads, they are literally all desert. It would be hard to even deliberately cause an accident out there lol
Quote:
So? What if there is nothing to crash into in front of me? There is literally nothing to stop for. I know you say anything can happen, but people shouldn't be forced to live their life by what-ifs. Going 65 mph is not a big deal on a wide open interstate and legislators are making it look like it is reckless driving. You are telling me you never ever went faster than 55 mph in long island? And no, the government does it to make money. Don't even get me started on the speed cameras placed in 10 mph "school zones". Someone I know recently got a 600 dollar ticket for going 21 in a 15, you call that reasonable? Or making someone drive 50 miles out to court in suffolk county because a ticket for 75 mph is technically "reckless driving"?
Quote:
And the idiots who cross against the light while staring at their phone (phones) and then stop in the middle of the road to check their snapchat for the 15th time. Someone recently got a ticket for 600 dollars for driving 21 mph in a 15 zone of something like that and had to go to court for it, couldn't just pay the fine. It is getting absolutely insane and at this point and don't know how anyone can agree with these law makers. Of course there are a few hundred tragic deaths in a city/town with a pop. anywhere from 100,000 to 9 million.
Quote:
Approximately 870 miles a month, for the last 4 years.
Quote:
Did I once mention a school zone? I am talking about a freaking type 1 interstate.
Quote:
No, I got my license much later than that.
Quote:
Insurance rate hikes are nearly unaffordable for new drivers so I just drove with my learner's permit for 5+ years and then took a road test eventually, passed with a 90% in 7 minutes (if that's all a road test is it's no wonder there are so many bad drivers out there, a 9 year old could pass it). But I have driven on almost every highway in the tri-state area at least 5 times and must have driven 40,000 miles by now and I have a very good idea about what speeds each road can handle in average/optimal conditions.
Quote:
It's been about 4 1/2 years since I got my official license.
Quote:
And nice job trying to divert the topic! You are the one saying 90 mph in school zones..etc, I am addressing these insane people who think going 65 mph on a 4 lane interstate is "a recipe for disaster" idiot drama queens. Just read the first 2 pages of this thread.
LOL

Coke, Meth, or Adderall? Which one are you abusing?

September 9, 2019 join date.

30 posts in 9 days. On a Real Estate chat board. All about SAFE SPEEDING.

Listen, little buddy...if you were (1) driving on a learner's permit for 5 years, and have only been a licensed driver for 4 1/2 years, and (2) you think that "But I have driven on almost every highway in the tri-state area at least 5 times and must have driven 40,000 miles by now..." is somehow brag-worthy and makes you an experienced driver and highway safety expert, and (3) made a video of yourself going exactly 55 mph in the MIDDLE LANE and wonder why people are passing you?

Then, maybe you need to take a seat. A passenger seat. Or possibly a child safety seat in the rear. Because after listening to your voice on that video, it seems possible you might be a minor.

We can't have 2Fast2Furious expert safe speeding professional stunt drivers like yourself doing 110 on the Turnpike or anywhere in the tri-state. How do you expect people to go those kinds of speeds, and still be able to text, email, Facebook, Snap, Tweet, TikTok, search for podcasts and playlists, Google maps, fiddle with the GPS, vape, smoke, eat a 3-course breakfast from Dunkin Donuts, do their makeup, floss their teeth, and make YouTube vids with running commentary to post on City Data?

Come on, bro. Be reasonable.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:42 PM

Also, POTANTA!

Get in here, son!

Someone is trying to usurp your title of MVP Most Mentally Hilarious Driver in the Tri-State. Put your game face on and defend your title, you irresistible, beautiful-faced youngin. You gonna let Jersey down and let this Lawn Guyland boy steal your thunder???!!!

Old 09-18-2019, 06:46 PM

SafeSpeeder, I hope this is not the last we see of your work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr-uEoF_8qM

Quote:
NJ is a healthier, cleaner, more peaceful, less absolutist, and more thrilling state than its jealous enemy, New York, known as the Rotten Apple that even worms try to avoid.

The Garden State has so much more class than the dipsh*t Empire State and deserves the utmost respect and worship from pathetic New Yorkers.

NJ also has 65 mph speed limits on the roads as opposed to NY's insane 45 mph ones on 5-lane straight freeways.

NJ actually has a Six Flags with the tallest roller coaster in the world, and has beautiful scenery off the turnpike. Despite having expensive tolls, they are worth every penny because their roads are some of the best in the country. The news was troubling with that story about how it has the worst roads in the country. Obviously. I'm not trolling.

I am a New Yorker that is proud to get out of the disgusting city and speed on your Turnpike. What, you're gonna compare the Catskills casinos to Atlantic City? HA!

NJ kicks NY's ass on every quality of life measure imaginable, and New Yorkers are simply destined to bend over and lick the butts of people in NJ. It is the most beautiful state on the East Coast, and also has much cheaper gas. Nothing better than racing the planes at Newark Airport from the Turnpike. They usually win, though.

NJ is one of my five favorite states in the country, while NY comes in 50th. The worst state in the country. They are also much more lenient on speeding, and are the treasure of the northeast. The Holland Tunnel is like traveling from Hell to Heaven in 2 miles, when you're going out of Manhattan. And NJ has no traffic.

New Yorkers are just jealous that their neighboring state is astronomically more popular, fun, intelligent, fast, beautiful and more honorable. F*#$! New York City and everything in it. Why anyone would want to live in such a crowded, expensive, noisy, smelly mess of concrete and steel is beyond me. GOD BLESS NJ.

I salute you, SafeSpeeder.

DANNYHOBKINS, ARE YOU LISTENING???

Old 09-18-2019, 07:43 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,000,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think for the most part people are decent enough with being courteous to other drivers. of course, there are a lot of people who see a turn signal and speed up so the person cant get in front of them but there are many would let people in. i just dont use my turn signal anymore. the most obnoxious drivers i encountered was when i have my annual drive into manhattan in the morning commute. that trip is such a horrible grind that so many people are just angry. you want to change lanes and you should be ready for a battle. that is a nightmare. i get it, their lives absolutely suck because they have to sit in that traffic regularly. otherwise, people are fine.

Someone cutting me off without putting their turn signal on sounds pretty obnoxious to me

Old 09-19-2019, 11:09 AM

6,497 posts, read 4,507,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Someone cutting me off without putting their turn signal on sounds pretty obnoxious to me

That's a fairly normal thing here in the Philly market of NJ. Yes, I think New York City market of NJ drivers are much better drivers IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or