Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 10:46 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,080,548 times

Advertisements

It's very difficult to drive more than 55mph on any NJ highway because there is always some idiot driving 40mph in the left lane (usually someone with NY or PA license plates).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 11:22 AM

4,058 posts, read 4,099,049 times
Can’t hardly average 30 on the morning commute in the PKWY. There’s plenty of construction but 0 improvement

Old 09-10-2019, 11:23 AM

19,031 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
It's very difficult to drive more than 55mph on any NJ highway because there is always some idiot driving 40mph in the left lane (usually someone with NY or PA license plates).
Yup!
A friend of mine didn't believe me in regard to that unfortunate reality. Then, a few days ago he was riding with me in my car on I-287 when we came upon a sudden slowdown.

There was a car with NY plates riding in the center lane, traveling at ~57 mph, and there was a car with PA plates riding next to him--in the left lane--at the same speed. And, it should be noted that the right lane was free of traffic, and the speed limit on that stretch of highway is 65.

I passed them in the right lane--which is legal in NJ on multi-lane roads--and w/in a couple of minutes they weren't even visible in my rearview mirror. Now, my friend realizes that I wasn't making this stuff up.

Oh, and I just have to add this one:
On Sunday, I was driving South on Rt. 1, in South Brunswick, when I spied a car stopped--dead--in the left lane on the Northbound side. As I approached, that moron--with PA plates--pulled a U-turn into the Southbound lanes. Luckily, I was able to avoid him, despite the fact that he pulled in front of me without warning.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:26 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,334,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
makes sense until you get a reckless driving ticket.
Or until hurt or kill someone.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:28 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,334,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
With today's modern cars, it seems everyone is comfortable at driving at faster speeds and the unofficial speed limit in NJ is 80mph left lane, 75mph in the center and 70-90mph in the right lane depending if someone is clogging up the left lane.

I had the unfortunate issue this weekend, where I was running on spare tire from Atlantic City Area all the way up to Newark, and drove the speed limit 65-70mph all the way up the Parkway. I was passed by every single driver on the road, including Grandma in her 1988 Lincoln Towncar. It's time to move the speed limits to what the actually speed being done is.
This isn't a race. Who cares if someone is going faster than you? We don't need what you are suggesting.

If you need to arrive some place sooner, then leave your home earlier. It's pretty simple.

Speed kills.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:43 PM

5,766 posts, read 16,494,290 times
It happens all day long in the appropriate parts of NJ, even with well known long established speed "traps" where everyone is going 70 to 80 and some newbie goes by 85 ,, you'd have to try and stand out to get pulled over. Obviously this is reality but not legally permitted. Its about being appropriate while maintaining control.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:12 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,456,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
This isn't a race. Who cares if someone is going faster than you? We don't need what you are suggesting.

If you need to arrive some place sooner, then leave your home earlier. It's pretty simple.

Speed kills.
you have every right to drive the speed you wish. you dont have the right to tell others what speed they should drive. its impressive to see the satisfaction some people get in telling other people what they say they cant/shouldnt do.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:40 PM

9,963 posts, read 6,572,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post

Speed kills.
This is the type of guy who drives 65mph in the left lane.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:04 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,080,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
This is the type of guy who drives 65mph in the left lane.
Yeah really. Leaving your house sooner to get somewhere is not the point. I hate wasting time driving back and forth to places, which is why I generally drive over the speed limit. In 30+ years of driving I have never been in an accident

Old 09-10-2019, 03:54 PM

6,171 posts, read 2,964,744 times
It's a simple theory....set the speed limit somewhat low, but allow the drivers a little "leeway", to allow 70% of the traffic to easily run "10 over", without a hassle. But if the state suddenly faces a cash crunch, then enforce the legal limit, and ring the cash register.

I've lived in western NY for most of my life, but I was born in Perth Amboy. I've driven back to both PA, to visit the relatives, as well as met some of the relatives in AC, so I'm familiar with both I287 as well as the GSP. I generally "run with the traffic", which is usually "10 over", and I have no issue with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey