Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 02:22 PM

1,840 posts, read 1,467,936 times

Advertisements

I am new to solo dining and have been doing it since April. I eat too much diner food. I've spent most of my weekends solo dining at Brookside Diner, Randolph Diner, Empire Diner, and Alexis Diner. Dining alone at a diner is no problem to me since there is a ton of space and a ton of counter seating. I did dine alone at Tiffin Indian Restaurant in East Hanover, which does not have much space, but I went there and I felt a little rushed by the hard working waiters, otherwise, I don't have much of a problem dining there solo since the place was not too busy.

What places in NJ can I dine alone on a weekend without getting weird looks (I'm a young guy) or without feeling like I am steeling space? I always wanted to try Hunan Taste solo in Denville (been in Hunan Taste before), but I am worried that Chinese workers will treat me differently due to their values of having large family gatherings for eating. There are some mom-n-pop restaurants near Rockaway Mall that I want to try solo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 02:54 PM

10,002 posts, read 6,610,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I am new to solo dining and have been doing it since April. I eat too much diner food. I've spent most of my weekends solo dining at Brookside Diner, Randolph Diner, Empire Diner, and Alexis Diner. Dining alone at a diner is no problem to me since there is a ton of space and a ton of counter seating. I did dine alone at Tiffin Indian Restaurant in East Hanover, which does not have much space, but I went there and I felt a little rushed by the hard working waiters, otherwise, I don't have much of a problem dining there solo since the place was not too busy.

What places in NJ can I dine alone on a weekend without getting weird looks (I'm a young guy) or without feeling like I am steeling space? I always wanted to try Hunan Taste solo in Denville (been in Hunan Taste before), but I am worried that Chinese workers will treat me differently due to their values of having large family gatherings for eating. There are some mom-n-pop restaurants near Rockaway Mall that I want to try solo.
Hunan Taste might have a bar you can sit at. I don't think the resturant staff really cares if you solo dine or not, they just care for a tip.

If you want good Indian in that area try Cinnamon (in Parsippany), most Indians I know say its the best in the area. It has a large dining room and they wont be rushing you.

Thatchers is always a good place to dine alone and sit at the bar. The food is good too.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,488,258 times
Quote:

yes, i always feel like the chinese workers are judging me while i am eating my chicken with broccoli.

if im alone, ill usually go to a fast food place or "fast casual" place like panera/chipotle/etc. and i dont get any weird looks. at least not because im alone. i guess you could also go to any place where they serve food at a bar. that should open up a good amount of places for you.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:00 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,089,961 times
You already started a thread asking this question a year ago. Did you expect something to change now?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...not-weird.html

Old 09-11-2019, 04:54 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,096,798 times
Get a table or booth next to a wall and bring a magazine to read or get out your iPad. You won't notice anyone staring at you.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Hunan Taste might have a bar you can sit at. I don't think the resturant staff really cares if you solo dine or not, they just care for a tip.

If you want good Indian in that area try Cinnamon (in Parsippany), most Indians I know say its the best in the area. It has a large dining room and they wont be rushing you.

Thatchers is always a good place to dine alone and sit at the bar. The food is good too.
Hunan Taste does have a bar.

I ate at Cinnamon when I was kind of little, but I remember the place was not too big, however, they have a ton of tables in there, while Tiffin spaces their tables too far apart.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yes, i always feel like the chinese workers are judging me while i am eating my chicken with broccoli.

if im alone, ill usually go to a fast food place or "fast casual" place like panera/chipotle/etc. and i dont get any weird looks. at least not because im alone. i guess you could also go to any place where they serve food at a bar. that should open up a good amount of places for you.
I used to be like you, but in April or May, I said "Eff it!" and I tried solo dining at Empire Diner, which was my first solo dining experience. Food is mediocre and some of their dishes suck. Luckily the restaurant was almost empty, but there was this old lady sitting across from me staring at me at times.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Get a table or booth next to a wall and bring a magazine to read or get out your iPad. You won't notice anyone staring at you.
I get a table if the restaurant is empty. Brookside Diner does not get extremely crowded, so I get a table. Empire Diner is not popular so I always get a table. At Randolph Diner, there is too much crowd, so I get embarrassed and sit at the counter. One of the Hispanic dudes working there remembers me and gave me a handshake. Counter seating is cool when the people remember you. I just use my phone to look occupied.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:03 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,943,512 times
Quote:
I am new to solo dining and have been doing it since April.
Why? Did your parents take your meal privileges away? You're no longer <18, so they're allowed to do that now.

Didn't you just turn 21? Why are you eating alone? You're not a lonely widower going out for the blue plate special, or a sad 40 year-old dude at the Ramada on a business trip for your dead end job, or a single lady spinster who wants to take a heavily filtered selfie so you can post it on Instagram with an inspirational quote about being "independent" and/or "brave".

In any case, the weird looks you are always getting are because people are drawn to your young, beautiful face...like helpless moths to a beautiful flame. How do you expect them not to stare at it? Especially when you have been following and memorizing my valuable makeup advice? Stop being so young and beautiful. Then maybe people will stop staring at you. Trust me...they don't think you're stealing anything...except maybe their hearts.

Be proud, potie tang.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:19 PM

12,101 posts, read 16,990,261 times
Quote:

Hunan Taste is a Chinese restaurant for American people.

As in, no self respecting Chinese/Taiwanese person would be caught dead in that place.

Ok, I'm exaggerating but go there next time and scope out the clientele for yourself. The food ain't bad at all, but it's essentially PF Changs.

If you want authentic Chinese-ish food, go to Jasper in Parsippany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey