U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2019, 06:52 PM
 
Location: NJ
24,876 posts, read 30,993,270 times
Reputation: 16857

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I used to be like you, but in April or May, I said "Eff it!" and I tried solo dining at Empire Diner, which was my first solo dining experience. Food is mediocre and some of their dishes suck. Luckily the restaurant was almost empty, but there was this old lady sitting across from me staring at me at times.
she probably wanted the d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2019, 06:54 PM
 
Location: NJ
24,876 posts, read 30,993,270 times
Reputation: 16857
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I used to be like you, but in April or May, I said "Eff it!" and I tried solo dining at Empire Diner, which was my first solo dining experience. Food is mediocre and some of their dishes suck. Luckily the restaurant was almost empty, but there was this old lady sitting across from me staring at me at times.
also, im not sure how to take that first part but i hope that it is a demonstration of you developing a little more self confidence and less anxiety about things. there are a few reasons why i prefer those places and anxiety isnt really one of them but i am happy that you choose to do the one that you prefer to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
26,155 posts, read 24,918,074 times
Reputation: 32423
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I am new to solo dining and have been doing it since April. I eat too much diner food. I've spent most of my weekends solo dining at Brookside Diner, Randolph Diner, Empire Diner, and Alexis Diner. Dining alone at a diner is no problem to me since there is a ton of space and a ton of counter seating. I did dine alone at Tiffin Indian Restaurant in East Hanover, which does not have much space, but I went there and I felt a little rushed by the hard working waiters, otherwise, I don't have much of a problem dining there solo since the place was not too busy.

What places in NJ can I dine alone on a weekend without getting weird looks (I'm a young guy) or without feeling like I am steeling space? I always wanted to try Hunan Taste solo in Denville (been in Hunan Taste before), but I am worried that Chinese workers will treat me differently due to their values of having large family gatherings for eating. There are some mom-n-pop restaurants near Rockaway Mall that I want to try solo.
Any place that you can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Southern Most New Jersey
1,372 posts, read 923,689 times
Reputation: 2434
McDonald's is actually fun when eating alone. I sit up front and watch the customers order. Every once in a while someone will sit next to me and start a conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 08:29 PM
 
184 posts, read 81,234 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I am new to solo dining and have been doing it since April. I eat too much diner food. I've spent most of my weekends solo dining at Brookside Diner, Randolph Diner, Empire Diner, and Alexis Diner. Dining alone at a diner is no problem to me since there is a ton of space and a ton of counter seating. I did dine alone at Tiffin Indian Restaurant in East Hanover, which does not have much space, but I went there and I felt a little rushed by the hard working waiters, otherwise, I don't have much of a problem dining there solo since the place was not too busy.

What places in NJ can I dine alone on a weekend without getting weird looks (I'm a young guy) or without feeling like I am steeling space? I always wanted to try Hunan Taste solo in Denville (been in Hunan Taste before), but I am worried that Chinese workers will treat me differently due to their values of having large family gatherings for eating. There are some mom-n-pop restaurants near Rockaway Mall that I want to try solo.
A lot of restaurants have bar areas that aren't awkward to sit at alone while eating a meal such as Carrabbas, Outbacks, Applebees, Cheesecake Factory etc. I went to Olive Garden with a friend this past weekend and we didn't want to wait long to eat in the dining area so we quickly sat at the bar and ordered our meal there. It was very enjoyable talking to the bartender. The only other people there were a few singles sitting a few chairs down that came solo, although they kept to themselves it seemed like they just came to eat after a long work day. Other places I wouldn't mind eating at alone is Boston Market, Jersey Mike's subs, pretty much any deli, pizzeria or chinese restaurant. I also see a lot of solo people eating alone at buffets, you should look into a few different buffet style restaurants. My family use to always take me to a nice chinese buffet many years ago. Although, I usually prefer home cooked meals over eating out as it's healthier and fun to cook. However the amount of solo people I have been seeing dining alone lately is surprising. I would also like to add a lot of places offer take out where you can just pick up your meal or get delivery if you don't feel like going out that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,095 posts, read 489,461 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Why? Did your parents take your meal privileges away? You're no longer <18, so they're allowed to do that now.

Didn't you just turn 21? Why are you eating alone? You're not a lonely widower going out for the blue plate special, or a sad 40 year-old dude at the Ramada on a business trip for your dead end job, or a single lady spinster who wants to take a heavily filtered selfie so you can post it on Instagram with an inspirational quote about being "independent" and/or "brave".

In any case, the weird looks you are always getting are because people are drawn to your young, beautiful face...like helpless moths to a beautiful flame. How do you expect them not to stare at it? Especially when you have been following and memorizing my valuable makeup advice? Stop being so young and beautiful. Then maybe people will stop staring at you. Trust me...they don't think you're stealing anything...except maybe their hearts.

Be proud, potie tang.
Why am I eating alone? I am a typical old diner redneck who eats fattening high cholesterol foods, has a pot belly, drives a redneck pickup truck and acts like your stereotypical New Jersey redneck who dangles his arm out the window and doesn't use a turn signal.

But seriously, my looks also contribute to the anxiety of dining alone. It feels weird to dine alone as some super handsome young Indian guy and gay guys constantly want me especially (I am bi) and people want to stare at me.

Yes I memorized your makeup advice and I laugh at it every freaking day!

Quote:
1. For 2 points, you should bring your CVS ExtraCare rewards card. For 50 points, you should bring a printout of all your City Data posts demonstrating what an excellent driver you are.

2. What're you going all the way out to Newton for? Randolph is much closer to East Hanover. A straight shot up Route 10. In any case, you should watch out. At the DMV, PEOPLE LIKE TO STARE AT YOUR FACE. And there are also lots of people driving suspiciously slowly in circles at the DMV. Can't say if they are pedophiles or not. Maybe you should bring an emotional support animal, or a security blanket, or a rape whistle with you, to be safe.

What kind of makeup will you wear for your picture? I recommend a mattifying primer, foundation/concealer as necessary, a contouring cream, highlighter, a shade of blush slightly bolder than your normal every day shade (DMV photos always wash you out), setting powder, defined brows (pluck, fill in, and gel them if they are getting unruly), the classic shadow/eyeliner/mascara 3-pronged approach to make your eyes pop, and a strong lip. And bring blotting papers with you to eliminate the shine that will accumulate while you wait. It'll be summer so your grease factor will increase.

I want to see you looking your best when I eventually see your DMV photo on NJ.com for whatever scandal you will eventually perpetrate on our roads.
Oh and yes, I did perpetrate a scandal on our roads. I drove that dump truck on I-280 and hit the barrier injuring two state troopers. I bet you saw how beautiful my DMV photo looked on NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 10:07 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,095 posts, read 489,461 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
also, im not sure how to take that first part but i hope that it is a demonstration of you developing a little more self confidence and less anxiety about things. there are a few reasons why i prefer those places and anxiety isnt really one of them but i am happy that you choose to do the one that you prefer to do.
Unfortunately, I haven't fully overcame my anxiousness of dining alone and since Empire Diner is so empty all the time, dining there is not making me anymore confident. Maybe I should challenge myself and solo dine at a chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,095 posts, read 489,461 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
she probably wanted the d
Wouldn't be surprised considering that I am some young hot Indian guy that many gay guys want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 10:12 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,095 posts, read 489,461 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
McDonald's is actually fun when eating alone. I sit up front and watch the customers order. Every once in a while someone will sit next to me and start a conversation.
I never even seen that in a McDonald's. If you want to socialize with strangers go to a bar. A McDonald's is too empty and people will sit where they want. Also, McDonald's is either full of idiots or full of outsiders who are stopping by for food while travelling (especially at the rest stop off the NJ Turnpike where you cross from NJ to Delaware).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 10:14 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,095 posts, read 489,461 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
A lot of restaurants have bar areas that aren't awkward to sit at alone while eating a meal such as Carrabbas, Outbacks, Applebees, Cheesecake Factory etc. I went to Olive Garden with a friend this past weekend and we didn't want to wait long to eat in the dining area so we quickly sat at the bar and ordered our meal there. It was very enjoyable talking to the bartender. The only other people there were a few singles sitting a few chairs down that came solo, although they kept to themselves it seemed like they just came to eat after a long work day. Other places I wouldn't mind eating at alone is Boston Market, Jersey Mike's subs, pretty much any deli, pizzeria or chinese restaurant. I also see a lot of solo people eating alone at buffets, you should look into a few different buffet style restaurants. My family use to always take me to a nice chinese buffet many years ago. Although, I usually prefer home cooked meals over eating out as it's healthier and fun to cook. However the amount of solo people I have been seeing dining alone lately is surprising. I would also like to add a lot of places offer take out where you can just pick up your meal or get delivery if you don't feel like going out that day.
Yeah I feel uncomfortable going to chains and I wanted to go to an Applebee's bar alone so badly, but I am trying to fight my fears! I always look at inside photos of the restaurant using Google. I knew that Cheesecake Factory had a bar area, but I feel uncomfortable, because Cheesecake Factory seems like those family places where you need to be married and have children to dine there. I am still learning how to overcome the fear of it.

Last edited by potanta; 09-11-2019 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top