Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 09:21 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,234,757 times

Advertisements

I still don’t understand what your hang up about eating alone is. I go to bars and restaurants alone all the time. Plenty of people do. Nobody in the restaurant is going to judge you because nobody in the restaurant cares about you. Just go, eat, leave a good tip, and enjoy life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 12:50 AM

15,048 posts, read 10,015,741 times
I eat alone all the time at one of several local Mexican, Columbian, or Spanish places in Dover along Blackwell. Never felt out of place. I frequented late night dinners at La Bamba at its corner location before the building burned to the ground back in October. They have since opened in a new location off of 46 but I haven't had the chance to visit.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:51 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,529,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't fully overcame my anxiousness of dining alone and since Empire Diner is so empty all the time, dining there is not making me anymore confident. Maybe I should challenge myself and solo dine at a chain.
go for it. houlihans has a bar. start off with the lettuce wraps and then get the chicken fajita.

the best way to get over some anxieties is just to go ahead and do it and see that it wasnt so difficult.

of course, sometimes you do it and it is a terrible humiliating experience. just kidding. like another poster said, nobody cares what you do. someone can kill someone in front of strangers and most people will just walk around them and continue their day. they definitely arent going to concern themselves with you eating alone.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:19 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,101,529 times
Nobody is going to notice you eating alone because they will all be staring at their phones the whole time.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:26 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,441,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Hunan Taste is a Chinese restaurant for American people.

As in, no self respecting Chinese/Taiwanese person would be caught dead in that place.

Ok, I'm exaggerating but go there next time and scope out the clientele for yourself. The food ain't bad at all, but it's essentially PF Changs.

If you want authentic Chinese-ish food, go to Jasper in Parsippany.
I tried Hunan Taste once. I thought it was good, but Chengdu 23 in Wayne is way better and a lot cheaper.

Shan Shan Noodles is pretty authentic. Great food, great prices, huge portions, and very casual. I’ve seen people eating there alone plenty.

I know I’ve made some jokes in the OP’s threads a few times, but I’m being serious now. OP, you go to college, right? Do you think you might be able to join a club that interests you? An Indian-American Student club, a makeup/fashion club, etc... There are tons, even at community colleges. I made some great friends that way, many of whom I still keep in touch with today. And believe me, I was no Homecoming King myself. In addition, the clubs may help you develop some more independence from your parents.

And my best college buddy became my main dining partner when we didn’t have babes (he got more action than me ) with us. We hit up the Fairfield Houlihan’s almost every week for $2.50 Happy Hour appetizers, and we weren’t drinkers, either. They used to make the best nachos and calamari. We even became good friends with one of the bartenders there.

Those days of Houlihan’s being awesome, sadly, are long gone, but there’s plenty of good places today too.

Think about it.

P.S. It’s not a bad idea how to learn how to cook. It’s not that hard, and once you learn some basics, you won’t have to eat out every night.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:52 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,015,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I tried Hunan Taste once. I thought it was good, but Chengdu 23 in Wayne is way better and a lot cheaper.

Shan Shan Noodles is pretty authentic. Great food, great prices, huge portions, and very casual. I’ve seen people eating there alone plenty.
I like it too.

It's good, but the palette tends towards American tastes, and I am American.

It's not 'authentic' as they say.

But I've been there many times. Asian people also think it's on the pricey side. Chengdu is more authentic.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:35 PM

2,660 posts, read 2,074,154 times
How about you learn how to cook and eat at home? You will save money and eat much healthier food.

Personally, I hate going to sit down restaurants by myself. I feel awkward and I think the waiters prefer to give a table to a couple or a family to make more money that a single person can provide.

I would usually go to more upscale "fast casual" places. Something like Panera Bread, Boston Market, Qdoba, etc... Those place serve mu better and healthier food than McDonalds and have more pleasant seating arrangements. At the same time, there is no waiter, no or minimum tipping and it is much quicker than sit down restaurants...

Old 09-12-2019, 02:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,529,027 times
qdoba is my favorite mexican fast casual place but there is none in the vicinity now. i love baja fresh, sometimes we go to ocean for that. chipotle is like the lowest common denominator of mexican fast casual. its fine. there is one called queso that i would go to when i had to pick up by daughter from a nearby activity, its also decent. i tried moe's recently and i wasnt thrilled.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:08 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,429,383 times
Go to Rumba Cubana in North Bergen.

It offers great Cuban food at really inexpensive prices.

And people won't give you weird stares.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:12 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,842,539 times
Why don't you just walk in giving everyone else weird looks and get the jump on them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey