U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 1,411 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
We are new to New Jersey from NYC and just found out I am pregnant and looking for a hospital to have my baby in either Englewood or Valley.

Anyone with experience at either place? I like the fact that Valley has ONLY private rooms so there's no chance of you rooming with other people but Englewood seems nice and roomy

Also please recommend some OB/GYN if you can that are affiliated with these two hospitals

thanks a million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 07:26 AM

1,597 posts, read 999,304 times
I’ve visited friends and family who have had kids at Englewood and they have been pleased. Have you not considered Hackensack? Dr. Shoman in Hackensack delivers in both Hackensack and Englewood if I recall correctly.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 1,411 times
Thank you. I heard Hackensack has the highest c section rate in the state which I’m trying to avoid. I looked up at showman. I think he no longer is affiliated with Hackensack but Hoboken

Old 09-14-2019, 04:37 PM

9,078 posts, read 2,680,845 times
My wife was born at Englewood Hospital in 1951, she's doing fine.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:27 PM

1,597 posts, read 999,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justchecking88 View Post
Thank you. I heard Hackensack has the highest c section rate in the state which I’m trying to avoid. I looked up at showman. I think he no longer is affiliated with Hackensack but Hoboken
Interesting stat. That was a concern of mine also but luckily no c section with 2 kids (only the 2nd one was born in Hackensack). I would think the doctor has a bigger effect on that than the hospital.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:33 AM

58,470 posts, read 56,416,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
My wife was born at Englewood Hospital in 1951, she's doing fine.
I was born at Valley in 1958. Went back there like a salmon to give birth in 1991.

The neighborhood around Valley is nicer, obviously, because it's Ridgewood, but I don't think the neighborhood near Englewood Hospital is bad or anything. Just a lot more apartment buildings, IIRC. My friend lived in one of those garden apartment complexes by the hospital for a while.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:04 PM

273 posts, read 76,808 times
My daughter had a placental abruption at 26 weeks along and was taken to Valley. After two weeks there and a bunch of medication to delay labor, my granddaughter was born weighing 2.5 pounds. After nine weeks in the NICU, my granddaughter came home and had supplemental oxygen for three months. She's seven now and perfectly healthy with no afteraffects from her difficult start in life. I thought the care they gave my daughter and then my granddaughter at Valley was excellent.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:10 PM

556 posts, read 481,822 times
Both Englewood and Valley are very nice! Can't go wrong with either of them. All of my Hoboken friends have been delivering at Englewood the past few years (all say good things) and all my coworkers in Bergen County deliver at Valley. I believe Englewood only has shared rooms for patients without insurance at all. I've never heard of anyone I know having a shared room there. It's similar in Hoboken and Palisades hospitals--private room for 90% of patients. Englewood is a brand new renovation and in a very nice area near the country club there. I toured there, but ultimately delivered at Hoboken, because I had a precipitous birth. I also toured at Valley, just because it's nearish to where I work but in the end decided I'd rather be closer to home (and thank goodness, because I barely made it to the hospital as it was).

Good luck!

Old 09-15-2019, 08:38 PM

137 posts, read 93,193 times
speaking for the medical staff: definitely valley over englewood, but if you insist on delivering in NJ i'd go to hackensack. while we lived in fort lee i delivered both my kids at new york hospital (cornell). best decision i ever made. they have one of the highest rated NICUs in the country. as it turns out my daughter was a premie so it was a great relief to have the best care we could give her.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:40 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,311,508 times
I think ultimately the doctor is somewhat more important then the hospital. I would look for good OB/GYN first and then they will tell you which hospitals they are affiliated with.

I think it is also very important to be as close to the hospital as possible so that you can get there safely in case of emergency. And ideally I would like o avoid Rt 4 which is a parking lot 4-6 hours a day. So far us, Valley is about a 12 minute drive, Englewood would be probably about 30 minutes without traffic, mostly on Rt 4. We would never consider going there.

Overall, we were not impressed with the quality of doctors in Valley. As I believe is typical in America, they push C-Section as soon as they can during labor. They want to make money after all. Both of my kids were born in Valley through C-Section. It seems that a lot of women in Valley that we meet has a C-Section. Not sure what the statistics is in Englewood.

Also, Valley has free parking and you can usually find a spot. If not, valet parking was free as of three years ago. Again, not sure what the situation is in either Englewood and Hacknesack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or