Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buying a house in NJ with Lively Indian community
Little Falls 0 0%
East Hanover 0 0%
Randolph 0 0%
West Orange 0 0%
Parsippany 2 22.22%
Verona 0 0%
Denville 0 0%
Caldwell 0 0%
West Caldwell 0 0%
North Caldwell 0 0%
Roseland 1 11.11%
Montclair 2 22.22%
Livingston 1 11.11%
Montville 0 0%
Cedar Grove 1 11.11%
Fairfield 0 0%
Chatham 0 0%
Wayne 0 0%
Saddle brook 0 0%
Fairlawn 0 0%
BloomField 1 11.11%
Ho-Ho-Kus 1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 08:36 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
The OP writes decent English and can afford a $650K house. Looks like he's already done a pretty good job of assimilating.

Americans do the exact same thing when they move overseas. It is perfectly reasonable to want to live near others of your same nationality so you can find familiar food and cultural, social, and religious events.
what does wealth and speaking english have to do with assimilating? english is spoken in india and money can be inherited.

to answer the OPs question, Edison, Piscataway, JC and Parsipanny are full of indians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 10:21 AM

821 posts, read 773,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
Not to be difficult, but you moved to America. Try assimilating. If you don't like the way we do things here, the plane that brought you here flies the other way, too.
You are being difficult & judgmental. What’s wrong with trying to find people that they have something in common with? I grew up in a NJ town where I was the only Asian in school (strangely enough it has a fairly large Asian population now). It wasn’t easy getting made fun of for being Asian when you’re a little kid.

It’s easier to connect with others who have similar backgrounds. This is why we also bought a house in a town that has a decent sized Asian community.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:00 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Not to be difficult, but you moved to America. Try assimilating. If you don't like the way we do things here, the plane that brought you here flies the other way, too.
Completely agree, if you move to the USA, you should assimilate and adapt to the culture. All 300 Million Americans have done it, the new wave needs to do it also. Yes Edison has had a huge growth of Indians in the last 20 or so years and that would be a good place to start with.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Completely agree, if you move to the USA, you should assimilate and adapt to the culture. All 300 Million Americans have done it, the new wave needs to do it also. Yes Edison has had a huge growth of Indians in the last 20 or so years and that would be a good place to start with.
Wanting to live in a town with fellow Indians doesn’t mean that they aren’t trying to assimilate & adapt to American culture.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 PM

521 posts, read 991,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Completely agree, if you move to the USA, you should assimilate and adapt to the culture. All 300 Million Americans have done it, the new wave needs to do it also.
Not the first generation immigrants.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:01 PM

521 posts, read 991,152 times
Quote:
I guess you haven't seen America then. Just within our tri-state I can point out French enclaves, Arab Muslim ones, Jewish, Hispanic, Bangladeshis, Pakistanis, Koreans, Chinese, Filipinos and a lot of others. One common thing: They are mostly first generation immigrants.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:42 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
I love reading these threads about assimilation and thinking about all those little nanas out making gravy on Sunday and chatting away in Italian when they run into others who moved here about the same time...

Old 09-17-2019, 04:40 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I love reading these threads about assimilation and thinking about all those little nanas out making gravy on Sunday and chatting away in Italian when they run into others who moved here about the same time...
One of my college friends used to--frequently--vent about his grandmother, who had immigrated from Italy in the 1930s, and who had... somehow... managed to avoid learning any English (other than "God-A-Bless-a") by the late '70s.

When he would complain about the compromised English skills of Hispanic immigrants in the '70s and '80s, I would remind him of his grandmother, who had not learned to speak more than 3 or 4 words in the English language during her 4--or more--decades of sucking at the American teat, and his response was...
That was different.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:59 PM

390 posts, read 306,593 times
How come you didn't put Edison or Metuchen on the list?

Old 09-17-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
One of my college friends used to--frequently--vent about his grandmother, who had immigrated from Italy in the 1930s, and who had... somehow... managed to avoid learning any English (other than "God-A-Bless-a") by the late '70s.

When he would complain about the compromised English skills of Hispanic immigrants in the '70s and '80s, I would remind him of his grandmother, who had not learned to speak more than 3 or 4 words in the English language during her 4--or more--decades of sucking at the American teat, and his response was...
That was different.
It’s easier to see the shortcomings of others than your own.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
Matthew 7: 3-5
3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey