U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 02:49 PM

18 posts, read 23,691 times

Advertisements

My parents and I moved to Tampa from NJ this past July. It was not my choice to come since I didn't have full-time job and had little to no money. I don't like Tampa at all (no offense to those of you do). There was no other family for me to stay with, though my dad said I didn't have to come with them and could gave gone somewhere else if I wanted to (like that was an option). There is little in Tampa that fits my work experience. I'm an editor and copywriter and worked for companies In NYC like publishers, cosmetics firms, and advertising agencies. There are some friends who say I can stay with them if I come back up, but it doesn't seem doable unless I have a job lined up first.

This is not an area I am new to. I grew up there. How do I apply to jobs in NYC/NJ from Florida and emphasize that I am from there, want to move back, have people I can stay with, and cover my expenses.

Has anyone been in this situation? I can't fathom moving back without a job offer, but employers like to go towards local candidates. I was a local, so getting used to a new area is not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 08:13 PM

462 posts, read 920,984 times
Hi Vrinda, I was considering moving down to Tampa due to weather and calmer quality of life.. what did you dislike about Tampa?

Old 09-16-2019, 10:53 AM

2,297 posts, read 1,312,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
Hi Vrinda, I was considering moving down to Tampa due to weather and calmer quality of life.. what did you dislike about Tampa?
I assume she disliked "weather and calmer quality of life"... ")

Old 09-16-2019, 12:41 PM

5,485 posts, read 13,478,242 times
Question seemed to be how to apply from down there in FL for jobs around here,,, I'm betting online zillions of people do. I see a lot of that, for instance try looking at sites like LinkedIn and similar. Its been so long since I've switched jobs, others can chime in with more current details.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:26 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,380,702 times
I recently had someone do a phone interview and my biggest concern was more that they had only visited once or twice for a few days and didn't really seem to understand what life would be like to move from Indiana to NYC. Employers are going to see you as a safe-ish choice, mostly because they're probably not super interested in paying your moving costs. At the same time, they can only hire who applies, so if you're the best of the bunch they'll be more on board with it.

But explaining that you moved because of family reasons and are looking to move back now that things are stabilized down there isn't going to be seen as out of left field, people move away from New York all the time and move back just as easily.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:41 PM

18 posts, read 23,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I recently had someone do a phone interview and my biggest concern was more that they had only visited once or twice for a few days and didn't really seem to understand what life would be like to move from Indiana to NYC. Employers are going to see you as a safe-ish choice, mostly because they're probably not super interested in paying your moving costs. At the same time, they can only hire who applies, so if you're the best of the bunch they'll be more on board with it.

But explaining that you moved because of family reasons and are looking to move back now that things are stabilized down there isn't going to be seen as out of left field, people move away from New York all the time and move back just as easily.
Yes, that is what I was asking about. I didn't want to look like an out-of-state candidate who might get passed over because I am currently not living nearby.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,380,702 times
Just be super up front about it and bring it up yourself. Get ahead of them and direct the questions about how soon you can be up there crashing at a friend's house instead of letting them assume you aren't serious about returning to the area. Talk about how you're coming up anyway and just wanted to start job hunting before you got there, make your return to the area a foregone conclusion.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:37 PM

367 posts, read 95,239 times
include you high school (college if it was NYC metro local as well), job experience in the area, etc.
add an objective section in your resume which emphasizes your roots in NJ.
QED

Old 09-17-2019, 11:56 PM

262 posts, read 407,322 times
I had friends move out of state and they put in applications in different states and they got call backs all before moving. I would just include in my cover letter i am planning to relocate

Can you take a "Vacation" to your friend's place and put in applications while using their address and let them know you are in the process of relocating.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:20 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,000,868 times
Here's a thought, don't tell your prospective employers that you live in Florida. If you have friends willing to let you crash for a while, maybe use their address on your resume and application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or