U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Recommended neighboorhoods
Hoboken/Jersey City 3 21.43%
Carlstadt, East Rutherford 4 28.57%
Montclair, Bloomfield 3 21.43%
Forest Hill, Kearny 1 7.14%
University Heights, Teachers Village, Ironbound 2 14.29%
Others 4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 570 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I will start my work with a consulting firm at NYC (with an option to relocate to Chicago) and was looking for housing options in NJ. My work will typically involve flying out to various locations on Monday and back on Thursday (with an option to stay over at the expense of my firm if I don't want to fly back). Following are the details as posted in the sticky, would like to hear about your opinions on things which are a bit hard to research over internet like the neighborhood vibes and actual commute situations.

Some tentative options I have shortlisted are
Carlstadt, Rutherford
Montclair, Bloomfield
Forest Hill, Kearny
University Heights, Teachers Village, Ironbound, Harrison

Where are you coming from?
Boston, MA

Why are you moving?
Starting work at NYC

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
I am a consultant who might have to go to Times Square (probably once a week or lesser)
I expect to fly in/out from Newark on a weekly basis
My SO might end up working in East Hanover

Will you buy or rent?
Rent

What is your budget ?
Up to $2800/month ( Ideally within 2000, since I have a big fat student loan to take care of )

What kind of place are you looking for ?
A furnished/semi-furnished studio/ 1 BHK with an option for parking ( I won't have a car unless my SO starts working in East Hanover)

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Spouse, though it is still not confirmed

Do you need/want good public schools?
No!

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
I am not a big fan of suburban lifestyle where I need a car to get out of my house. It would be great if there are a few restaurants/bars/public transit options (to Penn station) within a mile radius. I have lived in apartments for most of my life and do not really want a home with front /back yard etc.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
1 ) Proximity to public transit to NY Penn station (Ideally with frequent/reliable options during morning time , without transfers and with a 45 minute commute)
30 minutes drive to Newark, 60 minutes drive to East Hanover
2) Downtown Area where it is safe to leave the apartment unattended for a week or two
3) Being walkable with some options for grocery/bars/restaurants catering to my demographic (35yo). I also don't mind an occasional cab ride to the trendier neighborhoods in the vicinity.

4) This is probably not neighborhood specific, but it will be fantastic if I can find options where I have flexible lease which I can terminate by paying the rent for a 1-2 month notice period

Last edited by hastrek; 09-16-2019 at 11:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 07:31 AM

2,775 posts, read 9,699,965 times
Montclair or Rutherford would probably be your best options. Not sure you would find furnished, but you should be able to find something with your budget.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:22 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,000,868 times
Penn Station is on 34th street, a good 10 blocks or so from Times Square. It's unlikely you will get from most places in NJ to Times Square within 45 minutes. But you said you are traveling to Times Square once per week (or less). Why not focus your search closer to East Hanover since your spouse will be working there and presumably working there daily? I think Livingston or Millburn may be a good option. If you want more affordable, West Orange could work. Taking the bus once per week shouldn't be too bad and at least you will be dropped off right by Times Square.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:21 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,380,702 times
I'll second Rutherford if you don't care about schools and want to hop on a bus for a quick ride into Penn Station. You might be able to find something in Lyndhurst as well but that downtown is less well defined.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:25 PM

66 posts, read 153,579 times
I did the consultant travel thing for 10+ years out of Hoboken/Jersey City. It was a great location for that. I mostly flew out of EWR. If I were to do it again tomorrow and did not care about schools, JC is where I would base myself. Also take a look at other Hudson County environ.s. - Union City, Weehawken etc.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:00 PM

13 posts, read 2,994 times
I second Rutherford, great main street vibe, bus and trains to Penn Station. We have a 1980 sq ft 2/2 with 2 dogs and garage and we pay $2400/mo - here's a link if you want to check it out (we are trying to now buy a house) https://hotpads.com/42-maple-st-ruth...townhouse&z=15

JC has more of a downtown feel but rents are higher, but commute is even shorter. We also lived in Secaucus, very easy commute but no real downtown to speak of..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or