U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2019, 03:29 PM
 
182 posts, read 80,148 times
Reputation: 304

Advertisements

No, people will always still love to live here. It doesn't get much better than this. We have high taxes for a reason as we are within close proximity to the shore yet still close to NYC or Philly. It's very ideal and easy to commute to the city for work which also makes it desirable. Also, we have great restaurants and shopping no tax on clothes. It's just really great and you truly get what you pay for. The tri-state area has fantastic opportunities and a lot of high paying jobs hence way we can afford to pay our property taxes here. When I hear people say they only pay $1,000 for a large house down south, I say that's great I would never give up my house to move down there to the boonies. When my mortgage is paid off I rather continue to live here with my only expense being high property taxes and homeowners insurance instead of moving out of state to the middle of nowhere with no friends or family just old slow paced people that migrate there. I know that I'm not anywhere near retirement age, however I would never move out of state to exchange my great quality of life just for a lower property tax bill where I won't be happy living there. To each their own but I love my house and living here. I live in a very desirable area. Ofcourse I wish my property taxes were lower however considering all the house I'm in and the space I have it's really not that much in taxes to complain about compared to if my house was located in NY it would most likely be double in taxes. Anyway my point being is that if people love to live here they won't mind continuing to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2019, 05:49 PM
 
31 posts, read 6,916 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
No, people will always still love to live here. It doesn't get much better than this. We have high taxes for a reason as we are within close proximity to the shore yet still close to NYC or Philly. It's very ideal and easy to commute to the city for work which also makes it desirable. Also, we have great restaurants and shopping no tax on clothes. It's just really great and you truly get what you pay for. The tri-state area has fantastic opportunities and a lot of high paying jobs hence way we can afford to pay our property taxes here. When I hear people say they only pay $1,000 for a large house down south, I say that's great I would never give up my house to move down there to the boonies. When my mortgage is paid off I rather continue to live here with my only expense being high property taxes and homeowners insurance instead of moving out of state to the middle of nowhere with no friends or family just old slow paced people that migrate there. I know that I'm not anywhere near retirement age, however I would never move out of state to exchange my great quality of life just for a lower property tax bill where I won't be happy living there. To each their own but I love my house and living here. I live in a very desirable area. Ofcourse I wish my property taxes were lower however considering all the house I'm in and the space I have it's really not that much in taxes to complain about compared to if my house was located in NY it would most likely be double in taxes. Anyway my point being is that if people love to live here they won't mind continuing to pay.

Who loves to live here? Lol

People live here because of the job opportunities in the area or because of family nearby. Many who are able to have an equivalent job elsewhere most likely would move. It's the most moved out of state because you don't get what you pay for.

Much of what we pay in taxes ends up in some public official's pocket either as a high salary or as part of their pension plan.

That's OK if these officials serve a purpose. Oftentimes there is so much redundancy. Every little town has its own police chief. Towns that bus their kids to neighboring towns for schooling ie) Rocky Hill have their own school board officials getting paid.
We pay so much in tolls yet the roads are in pretty bad condition. When they finally do repave a street it somehow becomes a huge multi-day production involving multiple police car babysitters.

Yes NYC is "nearby". So what? It's not typically a manageable drive in anymore and the tolls are ridiculous. There are so many nice cities out there these days a lot easier to deal with. NY has lost its luster.

Nobody says NJ is as good as it gets. I can think of many places in the country more scenic or with a better foodie restaurant scene than NJ. Think southern California. Now there you do get some semblance of what you pay for. Austin Texas? Even more.

That being said, NJ people hustle hard in life. We deal with demanding jobs (those of us who aren't getting handouts or on some good old boy gravy train), crazy road designs, congestion, extreme competition in schools for our kids, and we come out all the stronger for it. It's a great place for kids to grow up. It's relatively safe besides the bad cities (Newark etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2019, 08:01 PM
 
182 posts, read 80,148 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post
Who loves to live here? Lol

People live here because of the job opportunities in the area or because of family nearby. Many who are able to have an equivalent job elsewhere most likely would move. It's the most moved out of state because you don't get what you pay for.

Much of what we pay in taxes ends up in some public official's pocket either as a high salary or as part of their pension plan.

That's OK if these officials serve a purpose. Oftentimes there is so much redundancy. Every little town has its own police chief. Towns that bus their kids to neighboring towns for schooling ie) Rocky Hill have their own school board officials getting paid.
We pay so much in tolls yet the roads are in pretty bad condition. When they finally do repave a street it somehow becomes a huge multi-day production involving multiple police car babysitters.

Yes NYC is "nearby". So what? It's not typically a manageable drive in anymore and the tolls are ridiculous. There are so many nice cities out there these days a lot easier to deal with. NY has lost its luster.

Nobody says NJ is as good as it gets. I can think of many places in the country more scenic or with a better foodie restaurant scene than NJ. Think southern California. Now there you do get some semblance of what you pay for. Austin Texas? Even more.

That being said, NJ people hustle hard in life. We deal with demanding jobs (those of us who aren't getting handouts or on some good old boy gravy train), crazy road designs, congestion, extreme competition in schools for our kids, and we come out all the stronger for it. It's a great place for kids to grow up. It's relatively safe besides the bad cities (Newark etc).
Everything you stated I stated already above in my own way. So I'll just recap I guess... Yes, again, I live here too because I have lots of family and friends nearby and I wouldn't want to move to the boonies away from them just to pay only $600 a year in property taxes. Yes we have great opportunities here and high paying jobs. If you don't like it here than leave! Jersey won't miss you. I love my house, town, and state. Actually it is pretty easy commuting to NYC. Many people in my town commute into the city every day with no issues via train or ferry. We deal with high pressure demanding jobs but life is about the hassle and I wouldn't have it any other way, it keeps people on their toes it's good for people to work keep busy and not be lazy. I enjoy working. I live in an affluent suburb and truly love my quality of life, maybe you just live in a crapy town that you hate. I also love the Jersey Shore it's so beautiful there in September once all the crowds are gone. Yes, there are many very nice cities in the US however I certainly love visiting them but I am very content with where I currently live. Yes, I agree it's a very great place to raise children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2019, 09:25 PM
 
31 posts, read 6,916 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
Everything you stated I stated already above in my own way. So I'll just recap I guess... Yes, again, I live here too because I have lots of family and friends nearby and I wouldn't want to move to the boonies away from them just to pay only $600 a year in property taxes. Yes we have great opportunities here and high paying jobs. If you don't like it here than leave! Jersey won't miss you. I love my house, town, and state. Actually it is pretty easy commuting to NYC. Many people in my town commute into the city every day with no issues via train or ferry. We deal with high pressure demanding jobs but life is about the hassle and I wouldn't have it any other way, it keeps people on their toes it's good for people to work keep busy and not be lazy. I enjoy working. I live in an affluent suburb and truly love my quality of life, maybe you just live in a crapy town that you hate. I also love the Jersey Shore it's so beautiful there in September once all the crowds are gone. Yes, there are many very nice cities in the US however I certainly love visiting them but I am very content with where I currently live. Yes, I agree it's a very great place to raise children.

Jersey will miss the taxpayer dollars of all the high earners who leave because of high taxes tolls and congestion. I didn't decide yet if I will leave but for sure NJ will miss what I contributed financially if I'm gone.

I don't live in a crappy town. Not the most bougie town there is but definitely a relatively expensive one with blue ribbon schools.

The jersey shore is decent. Florida waters are much cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2019, 07:55 AM
 
2,817 posts, read 5,416,841 times
Reputation: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post
Who loves to live here? Lol

People live here because of the job opportunities in the area or because of family nearby. Many who are able to have an equivalent job elsewhere most likely would move. It's the most moved out of state because you don't get what you pay for.

Much of what we pay in taxes ends up in some public official's pocket either as a high salary or as part of their pension plan.

That's OK if these officials serve a purpose. Oftentimes there is so much redundancy. Every little town has its own police chief. Towns that bus their kids to neighboring towns for schooling ie) Rocky Hill have their own school board officials getting paid.
We pay so much in tolls yet the roads are in pretty bad condition. When they finally do repave a street it somehow becomes a huge multi-day production involving multiple police car babysitters.

Yes NYC is "nearby". So what? It's not typically a manageable drive in anymore and the tolls are ridiculous. There are so many nice cities out there these days a lot easier to deal with. NY has lost its luster.

Nobody says NJ is as good as it gets. I can think of many places in the country more scenic or with a better foodie restaurant scene than NJ. Think southern California. Now there you do get some semblance of what you pay for. Austin Texas? Even more.

That being said, NJ people hustle hard in life. We deal with demanding jobs (those of us who aren't getting handouts or on some good old boy gravy train), crazy road designs, congestion, extreme competition in schools for our kids, and we come out all the stronger for it. It's a great place for kids to grow up. It's relatively safe besides the bad cities (Newark etc).
I love to live here. My only real gripes are the property taxes and, to a lesser extent, NJ's gun laws (which IMO seem more reactive than effective). Nowhere is perfect, and I'm a hardcore believer in everything being a trade-off. NJ just checks more '+' boxes than '-' in my book. My $2.78.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2019, 08:34 AM
 
4,095 posts, read 9,196,892 times
Reputation: 3342
You can’t compare NJ to places like NC, SC or Pennsylvania. North Jersey is a premium area and can really only be compared to places like the Boston area, Bay Area California, SoCal, And the DC area.

When you compare apples to apples, NJ isn’t really too expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2019, 08:43 AM
 
446 posts, read 638,799 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
They do in Cranford.
Ah, I see. The teacher in my son's K-grade class (in north NJ town) told that nowadays in most of the US cursive writing is no more taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2019, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
13,590 posts, read 4,642,907 times
Reputation: 10820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Everyone knows we have the highest property taxes in the nation. Most of us grumble about it, but just fork over the money at the end of the day. It’s no secret that many careers are seeing stagnant wages and younger people aren’t making as much money as the generations before them. Do you think we will ever reach a point where the property taxes will be too high for people to pay or will there always be people willing and able to? Basically, how sustainable is the current system in your opinion?
When that point happens, house prices will fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2019, 10:07 AM
 
3,141 posts, read 2,378,497 times
Reputation: 2369
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
When that point happens, house prices will fall.
Yeah, that was basically our finding when we were looking at houses. We would see comparable houses, the price was lower in one county than another but the taxes would be more, resulting in similar monthly payments either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2019, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Noth Caccalacca
5,846 posts, read 6,853,278 times
Reputation: 5307
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
You can’t compare NJ to places like NC, SC or Pennsylvania. North Jersey is a premium area and can really only be compared to places like the Boston area, Bay Area California, SoCal, And the DC area.

When you compare apples to apples, NJ isn’t really too expensive

What would you say to a person living in a bad section of Newark about the "premium", where the rats and cockroaches in their apartment are included at no extra charge, vs. living in say, Orlando Florida, in a much nicer rental for less money?

That may be the crux of the matter, many people don't want to or can't afford to pay the "premium". NJ doesn't have the nice SoCal weather and a great number of people in North Jersey don't work in NYC. Do you support raising the minimum wage to say $25 an hour so folks on the "lower rungs of the ladder" can enjoy premium NJ living as well?

NJ has also been losing out for years with many well-educated NJ students who go out-of-state to college, graduate and don't come back. They find a job and more affordable housing in a state with much lower property taxes and after marriage and kids, end up with parents who sell their NJ home and move to be with "the grandkids". If I had a nickel for everyone who did this by me, here in the Charlotte metro region, I could buy a house in Alpine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top