Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 06:46 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,359 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows we have the highest property taxes in the nation. Most of us grumble about it, but just fork over the money at the end of the day. It’s no secret that many careers are seeing stagnant wages and younger people aren’t making as much money as the generations before them. Do you think we will ever reach a point where the property taxes will be too high for people to pay or will there always be people willing and able to? Basically, how sustainable is the current system in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 06:53 PM

650 posts, read 774,905 times
No. The housing is still very affordable in NJ.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:00 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
I guess when compared to NYC or Silicon Valley.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post

Please call me when you can get a 3000 sq ft house in Ridgewood with $1200 a year tax bill for $250,000 and I'll move back.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:15 AM

650 posts, read 774,905 times
Wake up and make more money ; or move to Mexico.

If you want a nice house in a nice neighborhood , see what 250k can buy a house nationwide.

And compare the salary, schools and quality of neighbors.

You get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Please call me when you can get a 3000 sq ft house in Ridgewood with $1200 a year tax bill for $250,000 and I'll move back.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:35 AM

538 posts, read 733,052 times
Well, the property taxes here do already have an effect on the price of the house. If you spend enough time looking you can see that when you see similar houses in similar areas (admittedly all kind of fuzzy categories) that have vastly different tax rates.

Obviously there's a difference between putting money into a house where you presumably get it back (and likely you get more back) and having to pay taxes where you get none of it back - although I would say that places with higher taxes do seem to be the places that retain their value in a slump better and they tended to bounce back more quickly after the last housing collapse, so that could take away some of the perception that it's just money wasted.

Either way, there's still a long way to go before things start getting unworkable. Yeah, taxes are high, but for most of the NYC earners it's more a grumble than anything else.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:58 AM

965 posts, read 723,785 times
While I agree that we do have punishingly high property taxes overall, I do think this statistic is a bit misleading. If we compare just the NYC area, NJ taxes are definitely lower than Westchester, and on par to slightly-lower than Long Island. CT taxes are lower, but the commute is longer and the actual value of the houses are higher. At the end of the day, it's all about the monthly cash outlay of mortgage + taxes + insurance.

There are a lot of very highly compensated people in the NYC area. Until that changes (or until one of the Hudson River tunnels need to be shut down), I don't really see a major dent in value. If someone bails for greener pastures, there's someone lined up to take their place in the suburbs as it's still no more expensive than city rental + private schools + 4% city income tax.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:48 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
If you have a well paying job in this area and your kids are in school, then people will continue to pay the high property taxes. However it does not make sense financially for anyone to retire in NJ. I'm still 20 years away from retirement (at least) and can't see myself staying here. I can't even imagine what the property taxes will be 20 years from now.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:00 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
If you have a well paying job in this area and your kids are in school, then people will continue to pay the high property taxes. However it does not make sense financially for anyone to retire in NJ. I'm still 20 years away from retirement (at least) and can't see myself staying here. I can't even imagine what the property taxes will be 20 years from now.
There are many variables. You could look at it this way - if your property taxes are $1200/month and your mortgage is paid off, a case can be made that you could stay in NJ. This assumes you could afford the $1200/month and do not need the money value of your house to live.

There will always be cheaper places to live. Paying property taxes only for housing might still be affordable for many people.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:11 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,161 times
As long as people have good jobs, i don't think it will caused housing market crash. Yes, Property taxes are high, so are earnings for NJ people.

Property values are still pretty low compare to Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey