U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-23-2019, 10:26 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,662 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Am considering taking at job at Columbia University Medical Center/New York Presbyterian hospital. Would like to live in Bergen and plan to commute by car across the GW Bridge, schedule is such that rush hour traffic wouldn't be a big problem.Would like to be in roughly the eastern half of Bergen so there isn't too much traversing of Bergen involved in the commute (ie not Mahwah area).


In terms of houses, newer construction is preferable, but we'll consider anything built in the 1950s to present as long as its been updated, maintained, and has an open floorplan. Ideally would be 1990s or newer. Really would like to be somewhere where the houses are not so close to each other and are "set back" a little bit. Lots of green and trees, would be great. A nice big attached garage would be great as well. Budget is $1.3M and under, but with a strong consideration to the taxes.



So far have looked at:
Alpine- not much in price range, but low taxes

Englewood Cliffs- Low taxes, but not great housing stock, also Wikipedia says 15% poverty rate- yikes

Cresskill- Seems really nice, taxes not terrible

Demarest- Also seems really nice
Oradell- A little further, but seems good
Saddle River- Older houses but low taxes

Upper Saddle River- Great houses but high tax
Tenafly- Nice, but brutal taxes
Oakland- Seems less expensive, but great houses, am I missing something?


Any other suggestions are appreciated as well as info about these towns. What are the vibes like Don't currently have kids in school, but still want to live in a fairly good school district in case we ever put the house on the market.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2019, 11:10 AM
 
151 posts, read 79,554 times
Reputation: 250
Be careful when using Wikipedia for information.

I don’t believe that Englewood Cliffs has that high of a poverty rate; it’s an extremely wealthy area. If that data is even true to begin with then perhaps Englewood Cliffs is being lumped in with Englewood proper (which does have a poorer section).

It’s also possible that some kind of anomaly (like senior housing) could be skewing the numbers; or of course, the data may be very old..

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 09-23-2019 at 12:36 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 11:14 AM
 
561 posts, read 390,925 times
Reputation: 148
Most of East bergen is nice.


Lots of Asians. Lot of diversity.

Bigger house more tax. You decide. So easy a task.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 12:36 PM
 
2,348 posts, read 989,210 times
Reputation: 2389
Look at Haworth, Harrington park, demarest or oradell. Btw, Englewood cliffs is zoned for Dwight morrow hs which is not good. There are some bargains at your price range so you may get a great deal, especially now that the school year has started.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 08:14 PM
 
572 posts, read 1,251,398 times
Reputation: 486
Look into Paramus. You want to live close to route 4....would save you the headache of driving through all those local roads.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 09:53 PM
Status: "Uncomfortably numb" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
64,723 posts, read 61,033,589 times
Reputation: 78794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykfz654 View Post
Hi everyone. Am considering taking at job at Columbia University Medical Center/New York Presbyterian hospital. Would like to live in Bergen and plan to commute by car across the GW Bridge, schedule is such that rush hour traffic wouldn't be a big problem.Would like to be in roughly the eastern half of Bergen so there isn't too much traversing of Bergen involved in the commute (ie not Mahwah area).


In terms of houses, newer construction is preferable, but we'll consider anything built in the 1950s to present as long as its been updated, maintained, and has an open floorplan. Ideally would be 1990s or newer. Really would like to be somewhere where the houses are not so close to each other and are "set back" a little bit. Lots of green and trees, would be great. A nice big attached garage would be great as well. Budget is $1.3M and under, but with a strong consideration to the taxes.



So far have looked at:
Alpine- not much in price range, but low taxes

Englewood Cliffs- Low taxes, but not great housing stock, also Wikipedia says 15% poverty rate- yikes

Cresskill- Seems really nice, taxes not terrible

Demarest- Also seems really nice
Oradell- A little further, but seems good
Saddle River- Older houses but low taxes

Upper Saddle River- Great houses but high tax
Tenafly- Nice, but brutal taxes
Oakland- Seems less expensive, but great houses, am I missing something?


Any other suggestions are appreciated as well as info about these towns. What are the vibes like Don't currently have kids in school, but still want to live in a fairly good school district in case we ever put the house on the market.

What you're missing in Oakland is that it's a lengthier drive. It's further out than Oradell, and it IS the Mahwah area. It's adjacent to Mahwah! You have to go the full length of Route 208, which at rush hour is a long, slow crawl. However, you said you will be on off-hours, so that won't be an issue. Still, it is northwest Bergen, not eastern. So is Upper/and Saddle River.

Just FYI, before I got past your first two paragraphs, my brain said "Demarest". Only ever knew one couple who actually lived there that I visited, but I was to the town for other reasons over the years.

The couple I knew did not have children, but they lived in a good-sized house with a large, treed yard on a quiet street that would be very marketable to a family down the road. It's a nice town and should be a fairly easy commute to GWB. My friend who lives there drove through the Lincoln Tunnel every day, which is the next crossing further south. Even that seemed to work out well for her from there.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-24-2019 at 09:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 09:57 PM
Status: "Uncomfortably numb" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
64,723 posts, read 61,033,589 times
Reputation: 78794
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
Be careful when using Wikipedia for information.

I don’t believe that Englewood Cliffs has that high of a poverty rate; it’s an extremely wealthy area. If that data is even true to begin with then perhaps Englewood Cliffs is being lumped in with Englewood proper (which does have a poorer section).

It’s also possible that some kind of anomaly (like senior housing) could be skewing the numbers; or of course, the data may be very old..
I agree. That sounds wrong. Englewood Cliffs and Englewood are two completely different communities.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 10:22 PM
 
2,348 posts, read 989,210 times
Reputation: 2389
When the taxes are low, prices are higher. Homes in alpine and englewood cliffs are more expensive for that reason with taxes unusually low for NJ.
Oakland is far and that is reflected in the house price.
When driving across the gwb, the palisades approach is usually better than rt 4 or 80.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2019, 04:24 AM
 
151 posts, read 79,554 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree. That sounds wrong. Englewood Cliffs and Englewood are two completely different communities.
When I did a little more digging, it appears that that the 15% poverty rate was completely fabricated. A prime example of why not to trust Wikipedia. When you check a more credible source like the US Census Bureau - here is what comes up:

Englewood Cliffs poverty rate: 2.2%
Englewood (city) poverty rate: 9.4%

... Neither come close to 15%. Heck, not even a place like Hackensack has hit the 15% mark.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rsey/PST045218

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 09-24-2019 at 04:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2019, 08:37 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,662 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What you're missing in Oakland is that it's a lengthier drive. It's further out than Oradell, and it IS the Mahwah area. It's adjacent to Mahwah! You have to go the full length of Route 208, which at rush hour is a long, slow crawl. However, you said you will be on off-hours, so that won't be an issue. Still, it is northwest Bergen, not eastern. So is Upper/and Saddle River.

Just FYI, before I got past your first two paragraphs, my brain said "Demarest". Only ever knew one couple who actually lived there that I visited, but I was to the town for other reasons over the years.

The couple I knew did not have children, but they lived in a good-sized house with a large, treed yard on a quiet street that would be very marketable to a family down the road. It's a nice town and should be a fairly easy commute to GWB. My friend who lives there drove through the Lincoln Tunnel every day, which is the next crossing further south. Even that seemed to work out well for her from there.

Thanks! Very helpful. Oakland was appealing because of the hilly nature, but if traffic is a problem that's no good. Demarest sounds pretty good.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-24-2019 at 09:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top