U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 09:41 AM

110 posts, read 80,003 times

Advertisements

I am looking into Clifton for possibly buying a single family house ( am open to 2 family). I am looking at the lakeview section, Albion Place, Athenia section specifically area north of Allwood Rd south of van houten and east of clifton ave. Finally the area by Montclair State University East of Valley Rd by Woodlawn Ave.

Which are pros and cons of these areas? Which Have a suburban feel and which have an urban feel?

How good is Clifton overall to purchase a property there?

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 03:47 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,000,011 times
Clifton is a pretty large city by NJ standards. I think Montclair Heights, Allwood, and Athenia (in that order) are the nicest parts with the best kept homes. I don’t really think you’ll find too many 2 family homes in this section. I’m not really a fan of the areas outside of those 3 neighborhoods. Some areas feel more like Passaic. The knock on Clifton is that the high school is rated poorly.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:43 PM

2,517 posts, read 5,642,631 times
Above assessment is spot on. Would add that easy access to 3 train stations is a big plus if you are commuting to NYC.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:27 PM

110 posts, read 80,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Clifton is a pretty large city by NJ standards. I think Montclair Heights, Allwood, and Athenia (in that order) are the nicest parts with the best kept homes. I don’t really think you’ll find too many 2 family homes in this section. I’m not really a fan of the areas outside of those 3 neighborhoods. Some areas feel more like Passaic. The knock on Clifton is that the high school is rated poorly.
What about Albion Place neighborhood?

Old 09-30-2019, 04:21 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,269,549 times
As a rule of thumb, the better areas of Clifton are located south of Paulison. Albion is a nice area, but it borders Paterson; not sure if that's a deal-breaker for you. In my opinion, the worst part of Clifton are the areas that borders Passaic by Main St. and Botany Village. Stay away from these parts. The parts by Passaic Park are fine.

Taxes are high, despite the bad schools. Definitely a good town to live in as a young couple or young family, but I would get out before the kids hit middle school.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:35 PM

39 posts, read 29,085 times
There are a few nicer neighborhoods in Clifton but most of Clifton could be described as "the ghetto". There are far more neighborhoods that are high crime, high poverty, high drug-use than neighborhoods that are safe; many of these neighborhoods are barely better than those in Paterson or Passaic. Welfare recipients and section 8 homes could be found throughout Clifton. Not to mention the schools in Clifton are pretty awful. I just don't see why anyone would want to live in Clifton if you could afford better. I'd recommend Totowa, Little Falls, West Paterson, and Bloomfield or Clifton any day, and these are all reasonably priced towns. Don't buy in Clifton.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:09 AM

14,835 posts, read 17,897,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
I just don't see why anyone would want to live in Clifton...
I'd recommend Totowa, Little Falls, West Paterson, and Bloomfield or Clifton any day.
Huh?

Old 10-02-2019, 09:05 AM

832 posts, read 710,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
There are a few nicer neighborhoods in Clifton but most of Clifton could be described as "the ghetto". There are far more neighborhoods that are high crime, high poverty, high drug-use than neighborhoods that are safe; many of these neighborhoods are barely better than those in Paterson or Passaic. Welfare recipients and section 8 homes could be found throughout Clifton. Not to mention the schools in Clifton are pretty awful. I just don't see why anyone would want to live in Clifton if you could afford better. I'd recommend Totowa, Little Falls, West Paterson, and Bloomfield or Clifton any day, and these are all reasonably priced towns. Don't buy in Clifton.
Clifton “the ghetto?” LMAO give me a break! Look at the crime stats, it’s significantly way safer than the US average and getting safer every year. Median household income is slightly above the NJ average, and the poverty rate is 8.6%. That’s lower than Little Falls. Clifton appears working class...it’s a city and has that grit to it. But I don’t see abandoned and dilapidated homes and storefronts. The city physically looks well maintained, and the actual income and crime levels certainly do not represent that of “the ghetto.” I’m not saying it’s paradise or that the criticism of the schools is unwarranted, but your assessment and especially saying it is comparable to Paterson and Passaic is ludicrous. Give me a break! Your location says Reston, VA. When was the last time you were actually in Clifton?

Old 10-02-2019, 11:22 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,269,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Clifton “the ghetto?” LMAO give me a break! Look at the crime stats, it’s significantly way safer than the US average and getting safer every year. Median household income is slightly above the NJ average, and the poverty rate is 8.6%. That’s lower than Little Falls. Clifton appears working class...it’s a city and has that grit to it. But I don’t see abandoned and dilapidated homes and storefronts. The city physically looks well maintained, and the actual income and crime levels certainly do not represent that of “the ghetto.” I’m not saying it’s paradise or that the criticism of the schools is unwarranted, but your assessment and especially saying it is comparable to Paterson and Passaic is ludicrous. Give me a break! Your location says Reston, VA. When was the last time you were actually in Clifton?

Agreed. Again, the worst areas of Clifton are the areas/streets that border Passaic (Main, Burgess, Highland, Paulison, Summer, Lexington, etc.), mostly due to spillover from Passaic. Heck, even the parts that border Paterson (Lakeview and Albion neighborhoods) aren't bad. Is it Glen Rock, obviously not. However, the idea that Clifton is a "ghetto" is laughable.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:52 PM

39 posts, read 29,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I moved to DC area a year ago I've lived in Northern and Central NJ all my life beforehand. Anyway, that's just my opinion of Clifton. Back when I lived in Verona, Clifton had a reputation as a "no go zone", the type of place where your car could get stolen or you could get pickpocketed, or not to drive thru that town at night. I feel like Clifton's reputation is better than it should be beacuse of Allwood. Allwood is a nice middle class area sure, but you could find a neighborhood like Allwood in Bloomfield, Totowa, Little Falls, Hawthorn, or West Paterson (Woodland Park or whatever they changed it to nowadays). In those towns the crime is lower and the schools are actually decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or