U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2019, 01:34 PM
 
32 posts, read 7,200 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
People constantly complain about the tolls yet every morning on the traffic report there is an hour delay at all the crossings. It still boggles my mind why so many people drive into the city. I get it that some jobs require a car, but clearly these higher tolls are not having any impact on the number of cars on the road.
Precisely. A lot of people depend on their Manhattan jobs. That's why the port authority gets away with it. They raise these ridiculous tolls because they can.

I disagree that it's not having an effect in the long run, however. NY and NJ are two of the most moved away from states in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2019, 03:52 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,793 posts, read 12,744,262 times
Reputation: 8520
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
Not really.

Nowhere in the country has toll prices even remotely close to the NY-NJ region. Not even California, the DC suburbs or Boston - which are other high cost of living areas.

(The ONLY exception is the Chesapeake Bridge in Virginia (which is an insanely-long 23 mile bridge).
The Chesapeake is 23 miles long for $18.

The PA and MTA think the people using the bridges have unlimited funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2019, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
58,549 posts, read 56,464,631 times
Reputation: 69747
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they use the money to fund other projects like building the world trade center which they own for some insane reason.
The insane reason is that back in the 1950s, David Rockefeller was in charge of the Downtown-Lower Manhattan Association, and had an idea to revitalize the eastern part of downtown by building an international commerce center there.

They (NY politicians) decided to use the Port Authority to build it, but since it's a bi-state agency, Jersey said, "what do we get out of it?"

The privately-owned Hudson and Manhattan RR that owned the tubes was going bankrupt, but the service was needed to move Jersey commuters to the city, so the NY side of the PA said to the NJ side, "Give us the OK on building this, and we'll run the H&M system at a loss and build our trade center on the Hudson side over the train station for the convenience of the Jersey people."

Insanity 'splained.

Nobody cared that the PA owned the WTC because they paid a PILOT to the city that they didn't get in taxes from the little radio parts shops that had been there before--until the late 1990s when the WTC began to make money. Then it was pushed to lease the buildings. It did, and the lease is still in effect, modified, of course to reflect the present structures and business situation.

The PA still owns the land and the PATH system, which it continues to run at a loss, as well as the below-grade train station and the main train hall known as the Oculus.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2019, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
58,549 posts, read 56,464,631 times
Reputation: 69747
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
The Chesapeake is 23 miles long for $18.

The PA and MTA think the people using the bridges have unlimited funds.
C'mon. Nobody thinks that. That's just one of those nonsense things that pops out of people when these situations come up.

The fact of the matter is that to do things like rebuild New York City's biggest airport or to build a new Bus Terminal, bonds have to be sold to raise the money. People who buy bonds for public projects aren't going to buy them unless they have reason to believe they will get a return on their investment, and part of that reason is demonstrable evidence that an authority will have the revenue to support their obligations.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2019, 06:00 PM
 
53 posts, read 16,778 times
Reputation: 27
Basic supply and demand. This wouldn't be happening if people found another way and avoided driving the bridges and tunnels. Last year I was on a bus leaving the city at 7:00 PM and going to NJ and I couldn't believe the endless line of backed-up cars heading into NY. They weren't commuters. It will be like that after the higher tolls, too.
People give their tacit approval to these increases by paying them.

Last edited by Bill Kidd; 09-27-2019 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2019, 07:38 PM
 
Location: New Jersey/Florida
5,476 posts, read 10,683,939 times
Reputation: 3699
Just round it off to 20 bucks and come back to annoy us in 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2019, 08:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,793 posts, read 12,744,262 times
Reputation: 8520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Just round it off to 20 bucks and come back to annoy us in 4 years.
So true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2019, 09:10 PM
 
367 posts, read 95,239 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they use the money to fund other projects like building the world trade center which they own for some insane reason.
which should be illegal IMO.

and when they are done, will the tolls go down? of course not. they can't stop the gravy train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2019, 09:11 PM
 
367 posts, read 95,239 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
People constantly complain about the tolls yet every morning on the traffic report there is an hour delay at all the crossings. It still boggles my mind why so many people drive into the city. I get it that some jobs require a car, but clearly these higher tolls are not having any impact on the number of cars on the road.
i'm driving to westchester, not the city. if i were going into the city, i'd take the bus/train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2019, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Central Jersey - Florida
3,350 posts, read 12,797,179 times
Reputation: 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
A while back I saw a news story about a guy that takes a kayak to work. He lives somewhere up the Hudson and when he gets to NYC his kayak somehow folds up and he carries it with him to the office. The funny thing is the story made no mention of how he gets home. I would have to imagine it would be pretty hard to paddle back upstream against the current
The Hudson River current is bi directional. It all depends on the time of day he is traveling. Can be a battle both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:38 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top