Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 07:26 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times

Advertisements

Surprised that nobody mentioned that the 2 buffoons that sit in the big chairs at the state houses in NJ & NJ have the final say when it comes to raising P.A. tolls. Maybe you should send them a message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 07:39 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Surprised that nobody mentioned that the 2 buffoons that sit in the big chairs at the state houses in NJ & NJ have the final say when it comes to raising P.A. tolls. Maybe you should send them a message.
What good would that do? It is their appointees who sit on the Board. The govs do have a 10-day veto period in which to disapprove Board actions, but that's usually only done when one side of the river is miffed because the other side is getting something that they feel out of balance for their side.

Remember. The two biggest capital projects that this increase is going for are a) JFK, and b) PABT. Although the PABT is in New York City, it really serves NJ commuters. See? Each side is getting a major project, both of which are desperately needed.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:05 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
They're drooling right now with thoughts of sending 100 political hack people each to get no show/ little show 100K plus jobs that helped on their campaigns.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
They're drooling right now with thoughts of sending 100 political hack people each to get no show/ little show 100K plus jobs that helped on their campaigns.
While that can and does happen, it's not as frequent or widespread as some of you want it to be. IIRC, McGreevey was known as having the biggest number of political appointees in the PA with a couple hundred, and most of them suddenly disappeared once he was gone.

Unless you're completely on the bottom of the IQ scale, you know that most of the PA's 7000+ employees are not political appointees.

Most of the time I find that the people who believe that everyone in the PA is a political appointee, most of whom are found in the newspaper comments sections, seem to be people whose career highlight consists of handing burgers through a little window or writing names on coffee cups.

We have to do some thinking here. Most of the top positions in the agencies, especially that of department directors are quite obviously NOT political appointees because a) they've been there for 30 years, and b) no one in the private world would take those jobs for what they pay.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:31 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
While that can and does happen, it's not as frequent or widespread as some of you want it to be. IIRC, McGreevey was known as having the biggest number of political appointees in the PA with a couple hundred, and most of them suddenly disappeared once he was gone.

Unless you're completely on the bottom of the IQ scale, you know that most of the PA's 7000+ employees are not political appointees.

Most of the time I find that the people who believe that everyone in the PA is a political appointee, most of whom are found in the newspaper comments sections, seem to be people whose career highlight consists of handing burgers through a little window or writing names on coffee cups.

We have to do some thinking here. Some of the top positions in the agencies, especially that of department directors are quite obviously NOT political appointees because a) they've been there for 30 years, and b) no one in the private world would take those jobs for what they pay.
I have quite a few family members that work for and or retired from the PA. Some of the positions are who you know positions. I think you retired from the PA. Let's just use the police officer position, I can comment from personal experience. They don't go by civil service, yes you take an exam and score. They call by numerical order, go for a interview and more times than not if you don't have a "hook" you won't get the position. Rinse and repeat, been going on for years.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:53 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
The carpool program discount is eliminated too on Jan 5th.... Damn, i enjoyed carpooling from Ft.Lee back to Washington Heights. it was so fast since there was always a line of cars available.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I have quite a few family members that work for and or retired from the PA. Some of the positions are who you know positions. I think you retired from the PA. Let's just use the police officer position, I can comment from personal experience. They don't go by civil service, yes you take an exam and score. They call by numerical order, go for a interview and more times than not if you don't have a "hook" you won't get the position. Rinse and repeat, been going on for years.
Yes, I'm not surprised about that with the police, that if you know someone you have a better shot. That's an animal unto itself.

Then of course there was that little incident back in the '80s where a guy in Personnel was selling the answers to the police exam for $1500 a pop. They quietly asked him to resign, because nobody knew how many cops had gotten in that way.

Not saying corruption doesn't happen--there are politicians involved, after all. But it's not as widespread and common as people so desperately want to believe it is. The PA doesn't hand out contracts willy-nilly to politicians' friends; in fact, there are strict procedures in place to prevent that from happening because corruption in public contracting WAS so widespread in the past. Most employees are not political appointees, and most do their jobs pretty well despite the political machinations.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-28-2019 at 09:36 AM..

Old 09-28-2019, 10:31 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
just audit them

Old 09-28-2019, 10:46 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Quote:
This is nothing unique to the PA. This is pretty much how every job in America operates. My brother graduated college with a teaching degree. He was one of over 100 applicants to a teaching job. My aunt happens to work in that school district. Guess who got hired. I once applied for a job in the private sector. I applied online and had a phone interview and they told me I did not meet the qualifications. I then called a friend of mine who worked for that company and he put in a referral for me. Two days later I got another interview for the same job and got hired. That's just the way it goes...

Old 09-28-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
This is nothing unique to the PA. This is pretty much how every job in America operates. My brother graduated college with a teaching degree. He was one of over 100 applicants to a teaching job. My aunt happens to work in that school district. Guess who got hired. I once applied for a job in the private sector. I applied online and had a phone interview and they told me I did not meet the qualifications. I then called a friend of mine who worked for that company and he put in a referral for me. Two days later I got another interview for the same job and got hired. That's just the way it goes...
It is how the world works. It's why I get paid well for a part-time job in retirement. If my employers call or email so-and-so at Big Engineering Company to ask to team with them for Big Project, they might not get a response. But if Mighty Queen calls or emails so-and-so at Big Engineering Company because she knows them from her former life and says, "Hey, I'm working for MWBE Firm X and they have the qualifications to team with you and help you meet participation goals", they might listen. And they have. And MWBE Firm X has gotten opportunities and contracts that way. And Mighty Queen gets paid because She Knows People.

This, of course, is private industry teaming for public work.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-28-2019 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: