U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2019, 02:14 PM
 
29 posts, read 16,271 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I am looking into buying a house in one of these areas. Good schools is a big factor. I see they are generally similar in the sense of having good schools and similar demographics.



How would you compare these three areas? Parameters are housing costs, school districts, other opportunities for kids, commute to city etc.


P.S: I did my research. Just wanted some more opinions before I take a leap.


Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2019, 07:53 PM
 
36 posts, read 22,922 times
Reputation: 14
I'm actually looking myself as well. I currently rent in Plainsboro but here's what I know so far

$ = Cost of living
Princeton / West Windsor = $$$$ Elite/ Great schools house range 500K-1M+
South Brunswick = $$$ Decent School houses range from 300K to 600K+
North Brunswick = $$ Okay school house range 200K to 450K+
New Brunswick = $ Bad schools house range 200K to 300K+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2019, 04:39 PM
 
1,082 posts, read 3,269,273 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiroop View Post
I am looking into buying a house in one of these areas. Good schools is a big factor. I see they are generally similar in the sense of having good schools and similar demographics.



How would you compare these three areas? Parameters are housing costs, school districts, other opportunities for kids, commute to city etc.


P.S: I did my research. Just wanted some more opinions before I take a leap.


Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by HastroX View Post
I'm actually looking myself as well. I currently rent in Plainsboro but here's what I know so far

$ = Cost of living
Princeton / West Windsor = $$$$ Elite/ Great schools house range 500K-1M+
South Brunswick = $$$ Decent School houses range from 300K to 600K+
North Brunswick = $$ Okay school house range 200K to 450K+
New Brunswick = $ Bad schools house range 200K to 300K+
I'm curious as to why East Brunswick isn't on either one of your lists. It's definitely the best Brunswick school-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2019, 03:36 PM
 
100 posts, read 278,714 times
Reputation: 39
If schools are the main priority I would stick with Princeton/ West Windsor or South Brunswick. North Brunswick is definitely more affordable, however you would be taking a big drop off in school quality. Not that the schools are necessarily "horrible" in North Brunswick but West Windsor and Princeton are consistently rated top in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 08:39 AM
 
29 posts, read 16,271 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2jm3jm4jm5 View Post
If schools are the main priority I would stick with Princeton/ West Windsor or South Brunswick. North Brunswick is definitely more affordable, however you would be taking a big drop off in school quality. Not that the schools are necessarily "horrible" in North Brunswick but West Windsor and Princeton are consistently rated top in the state.

So would you say South Brunswick is better than North Edison in terms of schools? Because I heard more about JP Stevens than other high schools in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 10:36 AM
 
31 posts, read 6,916 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiroop View Post
So would you say South Brunswick is better than North Edison in terms of schools? Because I heard more about JP Stevens than other high schools in the area.
They are all good schools. West Windsor and JP stevens probably are slightly better than Princeton high but living in Princeton gives parents access to top notch charter schools.

South Brunswick school system is rapidly improving and is on the way up thanks to all the smart Indian students.

You can't go wrong academically with any of the choices.

I would actually argue that like much of NJ, these schools are actually too competitive for the average normal kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 08:08 PM
 
182 posts, read 80,148 times
Reputation: 304
If those were the only options I would pick Princeton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 08:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,063 posts, read 4,284,399 times
Reputation: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiroop View Post
So would you say South Brunswick is better than North Edison in terms of schools? Because I heard more about JP Stevens than other high schools in the area.
Though some may not agree with me, a good school does not equate to good grades or academic achievement. Both, SB and NE have good schools, so you can't go wrong. However, one of your criteria is commute to city, and NE would save you a good 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 10:52 AM
 
1,082 posts, read 3,269,273 times
Reputation: 495
AGAIN, why isn’t East Brunswick a consideration? With the exceptions of WW/P and Princeton, the schools are better than all the other towns being mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 08:54 PM
 
29 posts, read 16,271 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
AGAIN, why isn’t East Brunswick a consideration? With the exceptions of WW/P and Princeton, the schools are better than all the other towns being mentioned.

Are you saying East Brunswick high school is better than JP Stevens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top