U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 11:41 AM

367 posts, read 95,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
My Leaf has about 80 mile range (2014) (The Range does go down as it ages).

I have a inhome charger so I can easily charge up when I park in the garage. I use it for around town driving, and in the local area, so Its rare for me to use public charging (I think I've used Public Chargers 5x in 5 years).

When I Get down below 70-80% "Full" I top it off overnight. Also figure in what my next day's driving activity is. If I'm Not going anywhere other then to grocery store or to schools I might get it go down to 50% But not that often as it does not hurt to keep it full. Takes all of 5 seconds to plug it in, and it charges on its own, for the next few hours.
It does hurt the battery to keep it full. The sweet spot for keeping the battery charged is 80%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 07:35 PM

4,362 posts, read 9,515,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Before you go thinking about the money you will be saving by going electric the most expensive part of car ownership is depreciation. The two highest depreciating cars in the last 5 years was the Nissan Leaf and #2 was the Chevy Volt, considering the Bolt hasnt been out long enough to show its depreciation curve id assume it would also be up there. The couple of dollars you save a day really wont justify the expense imo.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sla...-21550781/amp/
Yeah I don't get it either. But then again you have the liberals that think they are saving the world from pollution by driving electric.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:41 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,312,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Yeah I don't get it either. But then again you have the liberals that think they are saving the world from pollution by driving electric.
Yes, and we have clueless conservatives who couldn't care less about the environment and the disgusting gases their gas guzzling cars emit. They don't mind continuing to empower Saudi Arabia and Putin's Russia with their money.

I agree that full electric cars are not without known disadvantages. Depreciation is one of them and the driving range is another. I think there were questions about the reliability of the batteries but I think those have been largely resolved.

But electric cars also have many advantages. The main one is that they require a lot less maintenance than gas cars so that fact saves money. They accelerate just as well or often better than gas cars. And finally they are quieter and they don't smell. Full list of advantages:
https://www.fleetcarma.com/why-elect...-than-gas-top/

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 09-30-2019 at 04:45 PM..

Old 09-30-2019, 04:43 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,380,702 times
Transportation pollution is still 29%, the largest group, producing pollution today. Some of it, planes, trucks, will always be around, but if we can reduce car pollution by 10% it's still a huge number and quite literally, every blip is going to help at this point.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:28 AM

1,168 posts, read 847,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Yes, and we have clueless conservatives who couldn't care less about the environment and the disgusting gases their gas guzzling cars emit. They don't mind continuing to empower Saudi Arabia and Putin's Russia with their money.
[/url]
Actually thanks to Trump the United States is completely self reliant on oil and is now the worlds largest exporter. Democrats want the US to be reliant on foreign oil.

Additionally if you drive by the coal plants around NJ you will see the coal burning for your energy, or the natural gas which is made by fracking to power your car. Just because its out of site does not mean that its out of mind.

Lastly I do not think electric cars are the complete future, lithium is a scarce material, people love Tesla cars because they are a new toy, fast, fun and different car. The typical Tesla buyer is not buying electric to save the environment. If electric cars were the future the Chevy Volt would of not been discontinued because of near zero sales.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:07 AM

2,297 posts, read 1,312,689 times
Quote:
Actually thanks to Trump the United States is completely self reliant on oil and is now the worlds largest exporter. Democrats want the US to be reliant on foreign oil.
Actually, US oil extraction using fracking and other interesting techniques took off during the Obama years. That happened gradually due to technological improvements. All Obama administration did was to adjust several regulations. Trump had absolutely nothing to do with it.

And US still imports 11% of oil it uses:
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=32&t=6

It is not nothing. So please stop making completely false claims, you are not Trump.

Democrats want the US to be less reliant on oil, period. They want US to use new technologies to stop burning fossil fuels.

Quote:
Additionally if you drive by the coal plants around NJ you will see the coal burning for your energy, or the natural gas which is made by fracking to power your car. Just because its out of site does not mean that its out of mind.
Well that's mainly because the Fat Moron, the previous Governor of NJ you voted for did absolutely nothing to encourage power plants to migrate to less polluting fuel. NJ has a long coast line which should be able to generate a lot of energy from wind. why is nothing being done?

Quote:
Lastly I do not think electric cars are the complete future, lithium is a scarce material, people love Tesla cars because they are a new toy, fast, fun and different car. The typical Tesla buyer is not buying electric to save the environment. If electric cars were the future the Chevy Volt would of not been discontinued because of near zero sales.
Maybe not but it looks like it is the most mature technology for non polluting cars at this time. And Chevy Volt was not an electric car, it was a Hybrid. The reason it was not selling is that all dealerships prefer to sell smelly gas cars that need frequent maintenance. After all, they make money mainly on service. This business model needs to change.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:24 AM
46H

1,057 posts, read 640,491 times
Quote:
Trump had nothing to do with the increase the oil production in the US. The US becoming self reliant on oil was based on fracking technology leading to the shale oil boom. This happened before he came into office. Obama signed the bill eliminating the ban of US crude oil exports in 2015 once again allowing the US to export oil.
Quote:
There are only 2 coal plants left in NJ. The largest one recently closed last April.
https://www.nj.com/news/2019/04/this...ts-future.html
Quote:
So far, it becomes harder to sell EVs without government subsidies. EVs can be successful in the right situations. We are not there yet. Battery technology still has a way to go.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:00 PM

1,168 posts, read 847,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Trump had nothing to do with the increase the oil production in the US. The US becoming self reliant on oil was based on fracking technology leading to the shale oil boom. This happened before he came into office. Obama signed the bill eliminating the ban of US crude oil exports in 2015 once again allowing the US to export oil.
Actually Fracking hasn't lead to new growth the past couple years as been specifically growth has come from light sweet crude from West Texas and New Mexico. Additionally the US has not had a problem in manufacturing oil and gas but its been about capacity. Here is an article believe it or not from CNN on thanking Trump for the growth of oil and how his administration was able to gain global growth in the world.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/09/persp...pec/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post

And US still imports 11% of oil it uses:
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=32&t=6

There are two reasons for importing of oil, #1 is market hedging and #2 oil is not all the the same (for example light sweet brent crude only comes from Northwest Europe like Norway and is a better oil to be used as raw material for some manufacturing).

Old 10-01-2019, 01:36 PM

13,786 posts, read 9,287,919 times
Why not just get a hybrid. I only pump the gas on the Prius once a month at $25 a fill up. Hybrids have much better range than EVs and will never get stuck without a charge. You can buy a Toyota RAV4 or Highlander Hybrid for a fraction what it costs for a Model X.

Say there's another mega storm that knocked out power for days. EVs will be useless if they can't charge during that time, while you have a better chance finding gas.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:47 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,380,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why not just get a hybrid. I only pump the gas on the Prius once a month at $25 a fill up. Hybrids have much better range than EVs and will never get stuck without a charge. You can buy a Toyota RAV4 or Highlander Hybrid for a fraction what it costs for a Model X.

Say there's another mega storm that knocked out power for days. EVs will be useless if they can't charge during that time, while you have a better chance finding gas.
Everyone I know with an electric only car uses it as their second car or they've already gone full solar in their house. It's their daily commuter where it goes from one parking spot to another. If someone was only getting one car electric would indeed be a terrible plan, given all the growing pains it's currently going through and all the reasons you mention, they'd have to have a backup plan at home, like the full solar people I know do. They're off the grid for a number of reasons anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or