U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,359 times

Advertisements

Hi so I’m a Jersey native born and raised. Spent most of my life in Summit and Warren County. I recently took a job in Short Hills on JFK Pkwy and I’d prefer to move closer to make life easier. I rent. I’ve exhausted my search and I figured I’d come here to see if anyone has any suggestions. As of now I’ve narrowed my searches down to Millburn, Morristown, Cranford, Westfield and South Orange. Occasionally a place in Montclair peaks my interest. I am looking for a town where I can walk to some restaurants and bars and stores as well have train access to NYC. I want a 20-25 minute commute if possible and I’d like to keep my budget under 1500$. I’ve already found some decent places within my budget but nothing that I absolutely loved. I know that’s a lofty goal but I’m trying to balance saving money while also cutting down the commute. I come here because I’ve started looking furter outward into Elizabeth and Newark and surrounding areas and I don’t have much experiences as to what neighborhoods to avoid. I’m familiar with both areas having worked all over this area and I honestly love the small city vibe and restaurants and shops. I’ve traveled to a lot of cities and I’ve worked in Irvington, Elizabeth, Newark and the five boroughs, I personally enjoy the chaos and culture along with the restaurants. For instance, I saw an apartment in the Union Square/Elizabethport neighborhood that looked pretty nice but I can’t say for sure what the neighborhood will be like at night. Anyway I’m open to all suggestions regarding nice places to live around Short Hills as I’m not exactly familiar with area even though I’ve worked in and around there for some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 06:37 AM

898 posts, read 610,994 times
Nothing in south orange?

Old 09-29-2019, 06:47 AM

33 posts, read 111,098 times
Morristown?

Old 09-29-2019, 06:51 AM

33 posts, read 111,098 times
Look into Morristown, nice downtown and younger give than all those towns you mentioned

Old 09-29-2019, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,359 times
I love Sourh Orange. Problem I’m having there is finding a place with laundry and parking that is also affordable. It’s pretty pricey there. Same for Morristown. There’s a ton of nice rentals in Morristown but they start getting up past 1500 real fast. I’m looking to buy eventually and it kills me to spend so much on rent.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:03 AM

832 posts, read 710,002 times
Your $1500 budget in a walkable downtown apartment in any of those towns you mentioned is just not realistic. You either need to find a roommate to split a 2 bed, or maybe a garden apartment in Springfield. Something has to give.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:33 AM

3,141 posts, read 2,379,582 times
I found when I was apartment searching that the internet, for all its assistance, was just not as helpful as going there, getting out of the car and walking around. People around here just put up a sign out front, they don't necessarily go through the trouble of making an online ad.

The other benefits are that you actually see what the neighborhood is like and how walkable the place is to downtown at the same time.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:10 PM

3,821 posts, read 2,327,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Your $1500 budget in a walkable downtown apartment in any of those towns you mentioned is just not realistic. You either need to find a roommate to split a 2 bed, or maybe a garden apartment in Springfield. Something has to give.
Springfield very close to Short Hills, not far from downtown Millburn (parts are just about walkable to downtown Millburn), and may fit your budget.
Springfield is also generally quite safe.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:53 PM

15,723 posts, read 5,623,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDream33 View Post
Hi so I’m a Jersey native born and raised. Spent most of my life in Summit and Warren County. I recently took a job in Short Hills on JFK Pkwy and I’d prefer to move closer to make life easier. I rent. I’ve exhausted my search.

Why Short Hills, no way you can afford it and no there is nothing at 1500 or 2000 or 2800 . Summit is a better bet or New Providence or even Berkeley Heights maybe even Livingston considering where your job is.

try rent .com

Old 10-04-2019, 11:33 AM

137 posts, read 170,760 times
Springfield right next door to Short Hills. It's tons of Garden Apartments in the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or